Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2007-12-20 08:01:32

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Re: A momentous occasion in Textpattern history...

Bloke wrote:

EDIT: … on the offchance that some corporate identity sees the value in crockery, snaps up the rights, closes the source and leaves us all without our beloved CMS?

Could be wrong but I don’t think that’s going to happen. As the 4.0 branch is GPL’ed code, the whole community has that as a starting point — you, Stef, have the right to use, modify and redistribute Textpattern (at least as of the latest 4.0 svn copy.)

Even if the future Txp development were to go ‘closed source’ (via BSD somehow plus the employment of Textpattern’s developers — or other developers for that matter) even a single member of the Txp community with a copy of Txp 4.0.x hanging around on their disks, could re-distribute it as a working baseline for a new GPL’ed development branch. So we’d all still have Txp 4.0.x plus the plugins.

What you could loose is Team Textpattern’s input to the software we all run. In other words, in the case of Team Textpattern’s employment for future private/closed-source development, we might be stuck with a stagnant branch unless others were to pick up the baton.

Steve

#26 2007-12-20 08:10:38

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

net-carver wrote:

… in the case of Team Textpattern’s employment for future private/closed-source development,

I am not looking for a new job. Next step: Retire filthy rich ;-)

#27 2007-12-20 19:56:37

progre55

I have held off putting in my two cents, because that is all it is really worth, but I do have a question (kinda related to this topic) …

I have always assumed that Team TXP had other full time jobs and that Textpattern was a passion and at times for you (them) an additional revenue source for larger projects and customized TXP. Am I incorrect?

I have been an avid user for the past year and a half … I just want to have a better understanding ….

Oh and for my two cents, I think we all would agree that the success of Textpattern can be tied directly to Team TXP (developers), individuals such as Bloke and Gerhard who create awsome plug ins and moderators such as Els and Hakjoon, so I think anything that would create a problem with this balance is a bad thing …

Thanks.

progre55

Board footer