Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-12-13 14:39:59

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

A momentous occasion in Textpattern history...

or at least it will be once 4.1 is released.

When it’s released, Textpattern 4.1.x will be published under the BSD license. BSD is the original license used for Textpattern’s earlier gamma releases. Textpattern 4.0.x and some earlier RC releases haven been published under the GPL. The license on the 4.0.x branch will remain as it is now. – Alex Shiels

Released under the BSD License – mary

I just updated my svn copy of 4.0.6 and found, of course, it wasn’t affected.

Update: And in an ironic twist on how many of us became TxP users originally, we have this announcement.

MTOS is being released under the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2, which is familiar to nearly everyone who is familiar with open source. – Frequently Asked Questions

Last edited by michaelkpate (2007-12-13 16:13:20)

#2 2007-12-13 17:45:12

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: A momentous occasion in Textpattern history...

I’d rather call it a sad day.

#3 2007-12-13 18:25:16

jstubbs
Website

michaelkpate wrote:

or at least it will be once 4.1 is released.

Care to explain?? A bit confusing…why is it/will be, a great day?

#4 2007-12-13 21:04:38

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

i’m a little confused about the change to BSD licensing (whenever crockery is released)

as far as i understand, all it changes is the ability for plugin developers to charge $ for their plugins (not that people aren’t doing it already, just that BSD licensing would give them more of a ‘right’ to do so). what else am i missing here?

Last edited by iblastoff (2007-12-13 21:06:02)

#5 2007-12-13 21:52:18

hakjoon
Website

I think there were some concerns about plugins which relied on closed source libraries and things of that sort and the GPL.

It could have also been a way to develop Bannister and not have to release the source.

Not 100% sure.

Of course given the fact that 4.1 as a package does not actually exist there is no saying that the license shift has to happen.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#6 2007-12-14 22:37:14

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I was skimming the slashdot post about the MT license when I noticed this:

There are other entertaining little branches along the Blogging Tree, like the sad story of TextPattern, but that’s another topic. – Watts Martin

The ironic thing (at least to me) is that his personal weblog is not powered by Wordpress, but actually LiveJournal.

#7 2007-12-18 16:19:57

spacewalk

I looked at his post. What exactly does “the sad story of Textpattern” mean? That it was and remains great, but didn’t get the big adoption of MT and WP? Or that it’s not great? Or what?

michaelkpate wrote:

I was skimming the slashdot post about the MT license when I noticed this:

There are other entertaining little branches along the Blogging Tree, like the sad story of TextPattern, but that’s another topic. – Watts Martin

The ironic thing (at least to me) is that his personal weblog is not powered by Wordpress, but actually LiveJournal.

#8 2007-12-18 18:44:01

zero
Website

“the sad story of Textpattern” I think refers to one or two common complaints and the false perception that nothing is being done about them.

Firstly that development is slow: compared with who, I don’t know. But 4 developers work well together to produce simple elegant code that is far more stable than the competition. Besides these are many plugin makers who add the features that are not essential but which people like to have. The plugin system is much liked by coders who can see a gap and fill it themselves. It is much better than having the feature in the core and then having to work round it, or compensate or just put up with bloat. The txp weblog , although not used very much, gives some indication of what has been done in 2007.

Secondly that there are no proper themes: there are plenty at textgarden or txp resources

Thirdly that the commenting method is no good: some people don’t like the Preview button and say it should be eliminated. The Preview button prevents spam and makes txp much more spam-free than other CMS. If you really want to get rid of it there’s a plugin. Visit Pixelspread to see an example of it in action.

Fourthly that it does not support trackback: but this again is an anti-spam method. What’s the big deal about trackback? It is a fashion thing as much as anything as are many other ‘features’ in other software. Again a plugin is available for those who really want it.

For some reason people put these false txp myths about even though they are not true. Meanwhile people who use txp are very happy with it.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#9 2007-12-18 20:12:09

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

wheres this “getting rid of preview in comments” plugin? the only thing i’ve seen was a hack for an older version of txp.

#10 2007-12-18 20:12:17

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

zero wrote:

Fourthly that it does not support trackback

Yeah, odd that a thing as cool as TXP is bashed for being more spam-free than anyone else! I love the Preview button; checks my textile is going to render as I expect, if nothing else.

And I never understood the point behind trackback anyway. It’s like those awful ‘meta’ style sites that just gather article popularity without carrying the content. All they do is clutter search results so you have to wade through the first 20 hits from all the people who have given it a thumbs up before you find the actual article itself. Grrrr.

I swear if all the duplicate content was removed from the ‘net, the rest would fit on a floppy.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#11 2007-12-18 20:22:27

zero
Website

iblastoff wrote:

wheres this “getting rid of preview in comments” plugin? the only thing i’ve seen was a hack for an older version of txp.

Matt recommends nhn_livecommentpreview so I assume that’s what he’s using at pixelspread.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#12 2007-12-18 20:36:27

zero
Website

Bloke wrote:

I swear if all the duplicate content was removed from the ‘net, the rest would fit on a floppy.

It does

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer