Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2008-06-03 04:43:06

georgeM
Website

Re: [feedback] How To Win Friends Who Love Desktop Blogging...

wow thanks for the quick reply jm. The status is set to Live, on the Raven-posted articles. I also posted a note in the Raven Beta forum, as I think it might be a problem with Raven and the way it posts the time.

Below is a copy of what I posted on their forums, and what I believe the problem is:

“Hi Zoundry Devs,

First off, I must say that this program is purely awesome for updating blogs/CMSes. I am in love with it, but it’s not quite pure love (yet!). That being said, the problem that I’m having is (what I think to be) related to TextPattern’s XML-RPC v4.0.5 and the way it handles time. I noticed another posting on the forum in regards to Serendipity, however that fix was not available to a TXP user.

You see, when I create a post, it gets uploaded to the server with a “Posted” date of so many hours in the future (TXP server GMT is set to -05:00, my EST timezone), and it causes TXP to not display the article in it’s listing (on the public side). On the backend/admin side, I see the article, and when I click the “MORE” button to “Reset the posted time to now”, then it will display properly.

I also notice strange behaviour when editing existing articles/posts, and this is most likely also related to this bug.

It seems that no articles/posts will display properly when posted with Raven. The post gets uploaded into TXP’s backend, and when I reset the posting time, or edit the article body, it fixes that issue.

I really want to get this working perfectly with TXP, as I think it’s so VERY close!

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can do, and if you need the TXP XML-RPC files that I used (v4.0.5 found in the TXP forums, NOT v4.0.3 found on the TXP XML-RPC download page), just let me know and I will reply with them attached.

For the record, I am using TXP v4.0.6 with the 4.0.5 XML-RPC plugin.”

So again, not sure if it’s Raven or TXP, but something is askew with the time of posted articles, and this causes the TXP display functionality to ignore Raven posts. Again, this can be fixed by going into the backend and “resetting the posted time to now” on the article. or simply clicking “SAVE”, and then it will be seen.

I really appreciate your help with this issue, as I have been wrestling for over 2 hours trying to fix this (if I even have the ability to!)

Thanks again,

G

#62 2008-06-03 05:14:39

jm
Plugin Author
Website

How far into the future are the articles posted? Is it a random time increment or just a few hours?

Last edited by jm (2008-06-03 05:15:04)

#63 2008-06-03 17:02:39

georgeM
Website

Hi jm, sorry I couldn’t get back to you last night…I was definitely up far too late!

Anyways, I was talking with the Raven devs, and it would seem that the issue lies in TXP not supporting the UTC time format. Below is the link to the Raven Beta forum where I’ve been discussing this briefly with developer pidge:

Raven Beta Forums – TXP/TextPattern time skew issue

To answer your question, it is always a few hours, and it’s skewed perfectly on the hour, so I’m thinking it has to do with the time zones/etc.

I will follow up if pidge gives me any more info.

Thanks for your help!

#64 2008-06-03 17:32:55

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Thanks for the research. I aim to improve XML-RPC for the next TXP release, so any bug report helps a little.

#65 2008-06-03 19:39:12

pidge

Hi,

I am one of the developers for Zoundry Raven – and currently looking into the issue George pointed out. The issue seems to be that TXP does not support UTC time.

For example, if I post using Raven to TXP:

Article-time in Raven=3PM EST
XML-RPC time sent thru the wire to TXP= 20080603T19:00:00Z (i.e. 19hrs GMT is 3PM EST US).
TXP parses the date using local date time pattern as = 7PM EST US (local time – ignores the ‘z’)

You could see usage in TXP_RPCServer::_getMetaWeblogContents(…), the post date time is interpreted as local time (ignore the time-zone)

$contents[‘Posted’] = date(‘Y-m-d H:i:s’,$struct[‘dateCreated’]->getTimestamp());

Reading through other posts, it seems the Kursor is no longer active (or current owner of the plugin). If anyone is working on the xml-rpc layer and need testing (from a blog client point of view), please let me know and we will be glad to help. (e.g. testing downloading articles from difference sections – right now, there seems to be a bug i.e. returns all articles from all sections).

#66 2008-06-03 19:47:51

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

I’m working on the XML-RPC server, and I’ve fixed a few bugs already which would still be present in Kusor’s package we host at Textpattern.com.

Would you mind trying the RPC server from here, from my POV it shouldn’t list all articles when the client requests just one blog id.

I will look into the time zone shift issue and aim to fix it for our next release.

Last edited by wet (2008-06-03 19:51:52)

#67 2008-06-03 19:59:28

pidge

Wet,

Shall take a look at the RPC Server. Thanks.

Also FYI – Adriaan (@ Ecto) had done some on R&D on this UTC date-time issue. See this post:

http://infinite-sushi.com/support/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=484#p1577

#68 2008-06-04 01:23:08

georgeM
Website

you guys are great, so quickly aimed on crushing this bug. I never really try to even ask for help before trying to figure it out on my own, but I’m definitely out of my league at this point! I also ready Adriaan’s post and it would seem like the time-zone interpretation is our issue here. Thanks in advance to wet for optimizing the XML-RPC code too!

#69 2008-06-04 02:29:49

pidge

wet,

Hi,

I did a quick test with the TXP_RpcServer.php you linked to.

1) The call to mt.getCategoryList does not return the xml-rpc response proper –
instead it returns a html <pre> tag (with some content) then followed by the xml-rpc response.

<pre> some content
</pre>
<?xml version=“1.0” encoding=“utf-8” ?>
<methodResponse> actual xml rpc response
</methodResponse>

2) The call to metaWeblog.getRecentPosts for blogid ‘articles’ faults with code 207 (msg = ‘problem_getting_articles’).
Actual error on server is:

PHP Warning: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘\\‘articles\\’ order by Posted desc LIMIT 0, 200’ at line 1\nselect ID, Title, url_title, Body, Excerpt, Annotate, Keywords, Section, Category1, Category2, textile_body, AuthorID, unix_timestamp(Posted) as uPosted from textpattern where Section=\\‘articles\\’ order by Posted desc LIMIT 0, 200 in txplib_db.php on line 81

#70 2008-06-20 18:56:04

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Breaking news: WordPress is de-facto giving up desktop blogging. The ticket, translated into plain English, says: “If you really wanted to use that XML-RPC interface with WP, please, do so at your own risk.”

#71 2008-06-20 20:02:11

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Just looking at what they are doing though Robert, does having the rpc folder and files installed add any vulnerability? I note that these days the rpc folder is included in the download whereas before you needed to install it separately. For those of us that just aren’t bothered about this facility I presume that the folder can simply be removed??

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#72 2008-06-21 05:29:58

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

The rpc folder is part of our development branch, as it will be part of Txp 4.0.7, so it will be delivered when you checkout from SVN. Prior to an official release, it will have to stand a security audit which hasn’t happened yet.

The development process included security considerations at an equal priority as functionality, so we do not expect to introduce risks with the current state of this part, but as with all software in development there might be unknown issues.

If you are deliberately running in-development software on a public website you can safely remove the rpc folder without any negative effects on the rest of Textpattern.

Board footer