Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2008-01-14 21:50:01

zero
Website

Re: Txpq

Is it better now, Els? My intention is to get enough content to read in both articles so the reader can decide whether to read more or click one of the other links. But I want to fit this into the viewport if possible. The content should cut off abruptly at the footer and that is intended. Unfortunately the content appears to go under and beyond the footer in Firefox. I thought that would not be a problem but I can see it could annoy someone who is expecting to read more content below the viewport.

I’ve used overflow:hidden to cut off the content next to the footer. This should prevent scroll bars showing as per this w3c statement:
bq. This value indicates that the content is clipped and that no scrolling mechanism should be provided to view the content outside the clipping region; users will not have access to clipped content.

But browsers being browsers do as they please so I’ll have to compromise again by the looks of it.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#38 2008-01-14 23:36:49

els

Okay, now I get your intention. There is no more content under the footer now, so that is better. There is still a (scrollable) very empty part of the page below the footer, you can see that in my screenshot. If I understand your intention correctly, there shouldn’t be scroll bar at all. But don’t ask me how to solve this ;)

#39 2008-01-15 10:43:35

zero
Website

Hi Els, I was very tired when I wrote my last comment and wasn’t thinking too straight. Although browsers vary and they should not leave a scroll bar if there’s no extra content beyond the fold or viewpoint or first screen (what’s the best term for that?), people have different heights of screen so although the footer is fixed to the bottom of the viewpoint, there will be times when the content goes under and beyond the footer (eg. when all their browser toolbars are open, or they have a shorter screen etc).

So really the problem was the positioning of the footer using absolute and bottom. It does not allow for the many user contexts and so that is probably why it is very rarely used. So I’ve now changed that and if people have a lower height screen they will have to scroll down to see the footer.

The very empty part of the screen is still there with Windows Firefox, Opera and Safari which seem to create the large space for no reason. Even allowing for the overflow if it was not hidden, there should only be a couple of lines extra in this case. Seems like IE is the only one to get it right this time so that’s puzzling! So there’s probably more to it than that…

Anyway, glad you like it and thanks for the feedback which made me do something about it.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#40 2008-01-15 12:10:38

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Peter, check out footerStickAlt (when the site’s up again).

Last edited by jm (2008-01-15 12:10:52)

#41 2008-01-15 17:55:22

zero
Website

I played around with footerStickAlt a bit but I’d have to change a few things to make it work, so I’ve bookmarked it and may use it another time another site. My method is pretty simple, just using position absolute from the top, and works the same in all the browsers I’ve tried, so I’ll stick with it unless someone finds it breaks.

But thanks for the link. As usual you show alternative ways I never knew about before. You’re the man for the CSS! I’m going to try the suckerfish dropdowns on the footer pullups when I get a bit more time.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer