Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2007-11-04 19:12:30

els

Re: Txpq

I think this is an improvement. It looks lighter now. May I suggest one more thing? The a:hover with the dark red background and black font colour (in permlinks and the ones just above recent articles and recent comments) is quite heavy. Maybe change the font colour to white?

#14 2007-11-04 20:20:26

jm
Plugin Author
Website

I definitely like the content of the site. However, I do have some comments and suggestions on the design:

• Start from scratch in terms of HTML and CSS. Build out each page component with as little HTML and CSS as possible.
  • Minimize the number of classes and ids – make greater use descendant selectors. Additionally, style the html and body elements to reduce the number of divs.
  • Think about the semantics of every element on your page. Most of your elements and attribute values are not semantic (ie. class=ee, class=topright, class=headline). Additionally, while class and id usage is up to the author, classes are for recurring elements – topright doesnt’ appear twice on the same page.
  • Once you have your base template completed, create additional style sheets. Could you also label the alternate style sheets with something more descriptive than a symbol?
  • I agree with Jukka – the nav should be written in u&lc and use CSS for uppercase. When CSS is disabled, it’s not a pretty sight. The menu should also be a list. To get around the style sheet case issue, insert a nested ul and position it on the same line with the rest. Then: ul#menu { text-transform: uppercase } #menu ul { text-transform: none }
  • Move the style declarations to an external CSS file.
  • IE for Mac is dead, so you don’t need to use the backslash hack, especially since the Textpattern audience is web savvy.
  • Only link to one XML feed. Users don’t notice a difference, so linking to two is a waste of HTML. Atom is more semantic IMO.
  • The footer has potential, but in its current state, it is cluttered. The columns are suffocating at the moment – narrow the column widths.

#15 2007-11-04 21:13:08

zero
Website

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Looks like I’ve got my work cut out! I used a template from Textgarden, my own! I’ve been chopping and changing it though so it’s a lot more messy than it was when I started. None of the other templates gave me what I was looking for re different kinds of magazine type layouts. Some style has to be in head or body to override the basic style, JM, but I’m going to act on your suggestions and do the job right. Cheers!

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#16 2007-11-05 00:59:39

diuk

maniqui wrote:

Just a suggestion about the design: maybe TXPQ can use a template from TxP templates or the Textgarden.

+1 for that. Starting with an already available design is going to help you a lot with your desing as well as learning more about css and xhtml.

#17 2007-11-05 07:32:36

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I have a simpler observation. Is the First Post needed? I believe that it and the comments associated with it should be deleted.

>Edit… Another point:) I would like the font size and weight of normal and visited links in the comments to remain constant as the page structure in terms of the ‘word positioning’ changes once a link is clicked.

Last edited by colak (2007-11-05 07:44:18)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#18 2007-11-07 10:46:59

zero
Website

Thanks to your suggestions, I’ve gone and styled html and body, got rid of some divs and extra descendants, made it semantic (I think), and generally cleaned and tidied it all. It all validates. I’m sure there’s more I could do if I was really fussy about details but I’m fuzzy and I like it.

Some points:
1 I still cannot see the point of adding extra markup for the nav. It works fine as it is and each link has an id and two classes if it needs fancy styling. It doesn’t look a mess without the css (hey that rhymes:) and all the pages look neat using Opera’s user style sheets. And I think the umlauts are kinda cute and more interesting than words.

2 Get rid of Maniqui’s great links and humour in the First Post?! I’ve moved it and added some others so it’s now an article template should anyone need it when writing a TXPQ article

3 I’ve used Els’s suggestion re links, but I am not sure about colak’s. The reason I made normal links bold was to distinguish them for colour-blind people. When visited and unvisited are the same weight I believe they can be hard for some people. Of course there are other ways, and I’ve probably tried them all, but is it that bad that it needs a change, colak? I’d love to hear an ideal suggestion re links because the problem seems to manifest differently each time for different colour schemes.

4 Talking of colour schemes, should I ditch the Textpattern colours and go for Gocom’s suggestion? I thought it looks a bit like ice cream and with a few hints of raspberry ripple or strawberry and vanilla or something, TXPQ might look really cool. But I don’t know if i could pull it off with my graphical skills or lack of them.

Thanks for your advice and keep it coming! Cheers!

Edit: link styles now changed. Thoughts?

Last edited by zero (2007-11-07 17:38:24)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#19 2007-11-07 17:03:53

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

But I don’t know if i could pull it off with my graphical skills or lack of them.

A designer wouldn’t make a bad for the site :)

Cheers!

#20 2007-11-07 17:08:21

zero
Website

Gocom wrote:

A designer wouldn’t make a bad for the site :)

Sorry, I don’t understand that sentence %}

I have no idea what you are trying to say, Jukka.

Last edited by zero (2007-11-08 10:42:31)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#21 2007-11-14 09:18:12

zero
Website

I think maybe some of you don’t know there’s a colak article on TXPQ

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#22 2007-12-31 16:55:30

zero
Website

Just a bump because it has a Xmas theme and there’s a new article about free online storage. Seen any great Xmas themes this year?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#23 2007-12-31 17:11:09

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

hi Peter,

Just noticed that your SURVEY: Who Uses Textpattern? Tell us about yourself! link leads to a 404… Not to be fixed tonight though. There is still some very old bottles of wine to drink and some very bad tv to watch:)

Have a great New Year’s Eve

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#24 2007-12-31 18:33:15

zero
Website

Thanks for spotting that, Yiannis, it must have been there from the beginning! Anyway, it’s fixed now and I still have time for bad TV! I must remember to use Xenu but that can wait ;) Enjoy your old wine!

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer