Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2007-09-10 11:03:20

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: rah_metas // plugin for automatic metainformation

No, it should work like charm, as I use it on four different installation of Textpattern. One with version 4.0.4 and three with 4.0.5.

1. What is the tag that you are using, attributes etc?
  2. PHP-version?

One explonation could be, that you are using non-closed (X)HTML-tag in your article-body, and because of that whole body is stripped as code…

PS. Automatic-metascription is only for single articles, self-written for lists.

Cheers!

Last edited by Gocom (2007-09-10 11:06:11)

#14 2007-09-10 16:03:43

brianlux0r

I have php v4.3.1, and using just the blank <txp:rah_metas /> tag.

On my single article, description is coming back =”“ .

#15 2007-09-10 16:12:26

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

No, raw <txp:rah_metas /> (version 0.7) should return:

<meta name="Keywords" content="your keywords from the keywords field" />
<meta name="description" content="First 25 words/250 characters from your article body&hellip;" />

Should work with your PHP-version if Textpattern works fine. Allthought, I haven’t tested it older than 4.4.x. but it should work as it doesn’t use anything special.

Cheers!

Last edited by Gocom (2007-09-10 16:22:55)

#16 2007-09-19 14:58:00

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Updated first post and outdated links.

Cheers!

#17 2007-09-25 16:29:26

maniqui
Website

Great plug-in, Gocom.
It makes some SEO tasks lot easier.

I have some comments/suggestions/“bugs”:

- the option to define a custom field as the value for plug-in attributes (particulary, for the description attribute). This will allow more customizable texts in the meta tags.
Example: <txp:rah_metas description="custom_field:metadescription" />.
The description attribute will be filled with the content of the custom field named __metadescription_.

Of course, you may find a cleverer method to do this.
If the custom field is emtpy, then it use the excerpt/body.

- what about adding the “copyright” meta? Is that one important? I don’t know.

- bug? When viewing an sticky article (that is, when you are in the permlink for an individual sticky article), the meta tags are filled with the default values, not with the ones (keywords, excerpt/body) for that sticky article.

I think that’s all!
Thanks.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#18 2007-09-25 17:30:54

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Thank for your post maniqui.

bug? When viewing an sticky article (that is, when you are in the permlink for an individual sticky article), the meta tags are filled with the default values, not with the ones (keywords, excerpt/body) for that sticky article.

Textpattern case. One of the bugs of the sticky articles. I could look into that, if there is way to do something to that. But it isn’t actually a bug in the plugin. If I’m correct sticky article doesn’t support if_article_list in correct way, so $is_article_list == true won’t work for it. I could fix it by article status-check.

what about adding the “copyright” meta? Is that one important? I don’t know.

Copyright-meta isn’t important, not at all. Most of the biggest search engines won’t even use it for anything. Or not anything that changes how data is indexed by search engines. So, I won’t add it. Sorry. Not required ;)

the option to define a custom field as the value for plug-in attributes (particulary, for the description attribute). This will allow more customizable texts in the meta tags.

Add to the future-ideas.

Cheers!

#19 2007-09-25 17:47:10

maniqui
Website

Thanks for yout reply, Gocom.

Textpattern case. One of the bugs of the sticky articles. I could look into that, if there is way to do something to that. But it isn’t actually a bug in the plugin. If I’m correct sticky article doesn’t support if_article_list in correct way, so $is_article_list == true won’t work for it. I could fix it by article status-check.

I’m afraid I didn’t explain well. I’m not talking about when you are viewing the sticky article in an article-list context (something that is very common when you are using stickies for a one-page-section static content).
I’m talking about when you click on an sticky article permlink so you view it in its permlink url (that is, in its individual-article context).

But you’re probably right about something not working as expected in sticky articles, because I have found when you are in sticky-individual-article context, TxP article form tags don’t work in page templates. Ruud said that bug will be fixed in 4.0.6

#20 2007-09-25 19:20:14

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

maniqui,

I understood what you were saing at the first time. I mean that the plugin only pulls a keywords and a description form a article only when viewing single article. And the case is that sticky article isn’t single article, even when you’re viewing individual sticky article.

When viewing sticky it always says $is_article_list = true. So it’s never individual/single for Textpattern.

Cheers!

Last edited by Gocom (2007-09-25 19:21:36)

#21 2007-10-12 04:47:01

maniqui
Website

A “less-than-minor issue”: the meta keyword tag is outputted as <meta name="Keywords"...>.
Is there a reason for the capitalization? Don’t kill me! :D

#22 2007-10-12 08:24:22

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

maniqui wrote:

A “less-than-minor issue”: the meta keyword tag is outputted as <meta name=“Keywords”…>.
Is there a reason for the capitalization? Don’t kill me! :D

Because I just copied outputting style from my blog. And I supose it have nothing to do how it works in terms of SEO.

PS. Argentina is too far, so I won’t kill you — or not yet, maybe in next summer :D

Cheers!

#23 2007-11-02 04:30:54

maniqui
Website

Hi Jukka,

although the order of meta tags doesn’t seem to be important for SEO purposes (or for any other purpose), I’ve read several time that the <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /> should be before the <title> so any non-ASCII character in the title will display correctly.

The most common order for meta tags is usually:

- meta http-equiv content charset
- title
- description
- keywords
- etc

My question is: is there anyway for rah_metas to avoid the output of the first one (meta charset)?
That’s because I will put it manually on top of the title tag, and then, after the title tag, I will output the other metatags (using rah_metas, of course).

I have tested and if charset attribute (in the plug-in tag) is left empty, the output is <meta http-equiv="content-language" content="es" />.
So I will have that meta “semi” duplicate (because http-equiv and content are in the manually added tag by me).

Of course, I could use <txp_rah_metas /> and then, at the end of its output, add the <title />, but that will put the <title> at the very bottom of the <head>.

Of course, any advice from you on topic this will be appreciated.

#24 2007-11-02 04:32:33

maniqui
Website

Ah, and now, I notice another difference:

your plug-in outputs http-equiv="content-language" while I usually used http-equiv="Content-Type".

Do you know what’s the difference?

Board footer