Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-06-26 03:56:35

brosevear
Website

Netfirms and clean URLs - Expert Help Needed

I“m looking for someone with a good technical understanding of Textpattern and how clean URLs work to assist Netfirms in solving the clean URLs problem on their servers.

I’ve been battling with Netfirms for a while now to get them to fix the clean URL problem for Textpattern users and I think I’ve gotten through. I’m not the only one bugging them, evidently. I talked to a service rep on the phone and he said they get this a lot.

They are currently examining one of my Textpattern sites to see if they can figure out the problem, but I thought it might be good if there is someone with more technical experience who could talk tech with them if they get stuck. I know this issue has come up frequently enough with other Textpattern users for this to be a big help to lots of users.

I think they’re actually serious about fixing the problem this time, here is their response to my help ticket:

We will be reviewing the site and htaccess tomorrow (Tuesday) but would like the information for your contact at Text Pattern. We do understand that having the clean URLs functioning would benefit everyone. If we are unable to solve this issue we are open to assistance

Is there anyone in this forum with a good understanding of Textpattern who would be willing to deal with them if they need help/have questions? If so, please forward me your contact info and I’ll pass it on.

Thanks!

#2 2007-06-26 04:06:52

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Netfirms and clean URLs - Expert Help Needed

whats the actual issue? i have a netfirms web hosting account (canadian as well if it matters) and i have no problems using clean urls. all i had to do was switch it on in textpattern

addendum: i take it back. clean urls was not FULLY working on that particular netfirms account.

Last edited by iblastoff (2007-07-15 07:07:28)

#3 2007-06-26 13:49:21

brosevear
Website

Hi, thanks for your reply.

The issue is that I can’t get clean URLs to work on my Neftirms (Canada) install. I’ve been through all the suggested solutions and still can’t get it to work. Netfirms even admits it is a problem and it’s well documented on the forums.

If you’ve managed to get it to work, please share the URL to the website where it is working and post your diagnostics and htaccess code so others can get it working too. It would be great if the problem is already solved!

Last edited by brosevear (2007-06-26 13:49:50)

#4 2007-06-26 16:03:45

jm
Plugin Author
Website

So is mod_rewrite disabled on Netfirms, or are you on a Windows box?

#5 2007-06-26 16:41:17

brosevear
Website

I’m not on a Windows box and this is the documentation from Nefirms support:

The following .htaccess commands are supported:

AuthType (also AuthGroupFile, AuthName, AuthUserFile)
ErrorDocument
RewriteEngine (RewriteRule, RewriteBase, RewriteCond)
Redirect
Options
IndexOptions
IndexIgnore

I spent a few days many months ago trying the various suggested htaccess variations to work and never succeeded.

What I’m asking with this post is that someone who has a better knowledge of this part of how Texpattern operates make themselves available to Netfirms if they have any technical questions.

#6 2007-06-26 17:13:31

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

I am in a different timezone (GMT+1, DST) but they can email me if there are questions. I’ll send you an email through the forum, so you have my mail-adress.

Unless someone from the same timezone and/or with an account on netfirms can do it.

#7 2007-06-26 17:44:29

brosevear
Website

Thanks – much appreciated.

#8 2007-07-15 07:08:14

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

all i can add to this post is that netfirms is absolutely horrible. makes me wish i never switched away from dreamhost.

ps any progress with netfirms? i never even got a response in regards to clean urls/.htaccess from them at all. probably cause i also complained about how slow their php/mysql databases were and how half the time i would get index.php coming up as a download option.

Last edited by iblastoff (2007-07-15 07:10:05)

#9 2007-07-15 07:28:04

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

I am in touch with Dan from netfirms. I have a picture of the situation and an idea on how to implement a workaround. Whether it’ll be a 100% solution or 98% solution (like the “partly messy” solution that uses 404s, which is descirbed in the weblog a while ago) we’ll see. I’ll let you guys know when I have something ready.

#10 2007-07-16 13:43:22

brosevear
Website

Thanks for your help with this Spencer.

#11 2007-08-27 22:56:45

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

bump. any progress on this?

#12 2007-09-25 09:30:07

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

ok well i’ve emailed them and all i was getting was canned replies. any others get helpful responses? sencer?

Board footer