You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-05-21 04:02:03

ikebowen
Archived Plugin Author
Website

[plugin] [ORPHAN] ike_slideshow

Notice: This plugin can be found here

Generalness

Oddly, there seems to be no straightforward image slideshow plugin. Yes, there’s an entire category of gallery plugins, but nothing really… simple.

Hence, ike_slideshow. Toss in a pinch of Javascript and a dash of CSS, and away we go. Customize to your heart’s content. There’s a demo located at the plugin info page. The TXP.org listing is here.

This is, by the way, my first contribution to the Textpattern plugin collection. Therefore, there are likely a considerable number of things done wrong – feel free to toss in a suggestion or two.

Usage

At the moment, there is only one tag: ike_slideshow. Appropriately, there is only one attribute: ids. Set ids to equal a comma-delineated list of image ids.

Example:
<txp:ike_slideshow ids="1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10" />

For the slideshow to function properly, you’ll need to have a bit of Javascript and CSS in place; these snippets are in both the plugin’s help file and at the info page;. I use stm_javascript to handle the JS, but do as you wish. Customize the CSS to fit your site.

Todo

• Fix vertical centering in IE
  • Implement category slideshows (requested by colak)
  • Add article image support (requested by transph0rmer)
  • Add an auto-play option
  • Add optional Textile parsing for captions
  • Add visual effects? Fade in/out?

Download

version 0.01: here

The above information is obsolete and won’t be updated here – check the textpattern.org listing instead.

Last edited by ikebowen (2009-06-09 22:23:00)

#2 2007-05-21 04:28:06

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] ike_slideshow

very nice!!! Can it handle image categories too?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2007-05-21 12:03:56

ikebowen
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Not at the moment, but that wouldn’t be hard to implement. Give me at least until v0.02. ;)

Incidentally, congrats on neme’s 2 years, 2 months and 22 day birthday.

#4 2007-05-22 20:06:49

transph0rmer

Looks really nice. Do you think about supporting article_images in the future?

#5 2007-05-22 22:11:15

ikebowen
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Added to the todo list, along with colak’s thought.

#6 2007-05-22 22:43:17

transph0rmer

Great. Looking forward, keep up the good work.

#7 2007-05-22 23:44:04

masa

Yes, this is looking very promising!

As Yiannis mentioned adding images based on their category would be a brilliant addition, since we have Eric’s fantastic ebl_batchupload

#8 2007-05-23 14:46:36

colak
Admin

hi ikebowen
thanks for the bday wish:)

I am experimenting with your plugin here and I have a few hopefully simple suggestions/requests/questions:)

• I’m trying to work out its css. There seems to be a problem with the way the image height is calculated and the captions in some cases appear over the image whereas in others they appear well below it.
    • Have slightly hacked your plugin to add an empty div to clear the caption from the image but to no avail. Currently I just gave that div a height so as to clear the text from the “Printing Errors” slide show. I added a lot of clear:both in the css but again with no results.
  • It would be cool if the image dims were parsed too. Better for rendering in the browser
    • From the source code of the plugin it seems that you have allowed for them but not in the img src part
  • Instead of input buttons is it possible to have back/forward text links. Input buttons are not always rendered properly by all browsers. For example Safari shows the buttons without the css applied on them
    • OK I could create the css for that, but I still do feel that text links might be better
  • The image category would be great but I guess that the above might be more to the point regarding the plugin as is…

ps. Like the streamline simplicity of the plugin. Congrats…

>Edit It would be good if this thread is moved to the Author Support forum. You can write to Mary to do that for you and to also give you rights to create your own threads there if you plan to expand your plugin contribution.

Last edited by colak (2007-05-23 14:57:36)

Yiannis
——————————

#9 2007-05-25 03:56:57

ikebowen
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Colak – am running through your suggestions and cleaning up code for a next release. Check the slideshow instance here – the controls were switched to links, and the issues with caption positioning should, theoretically, be taken care of.

I also took a cue from the counter that you added in your installation – hope you don’t mind. ;) It’s added into the plugin by way of a new attribute that specifies what additional information is shown.

#10 2007-05-25 06:13:31

colak
Admin

ikebowen wrote:

Colak – am running through your suggestions and cleaning up code for a next release. Check the slideshow instance here – the controls were switched to links, and the issues with caption positioning should, theoretically, be taken care of.

I’ve checked the page on a mac
ff1.5: all works well
Opera 9.2: all works well except the images are strangely only loaded after the forward button is pressed (no worries)
Safari: All well except the cursor strangely does not change to the pointer. Noticed you took the css out which was the right think to do considering they are standard text links now… In fact the pointer does not appear over any of your links. Maybe this is due to the cursor: default; you use for the body style.
ie 5.2: (dead browser so I am only mentioning it here for your info)… Surprising it kind of works. The first image appears in the right place. On clicking the forward button the second image appears below it and the first disappears. From there on everything works but from the new position of the slideshow… (it’s an old explorer… Go figure!)

I also took a cue from the counter that you added in your installation – hope you don’t mind. ;)

no prob there:) The only things we are protective of in the neme site are the texts whose copyright does not belong to us.

> Edit… I noticed that in your link the alt tags were empty… Is it because they were not parsed or is it due to an empty field in the image tab?

Last edited by colak (2007-05-25 07:25:52)

Yiannis
——————————

#11 2007-06-03 05:51:22

ikebowen
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Version 0.02 has been released – check out the info page. I think I covered everything except image category slideshows. ;) Saving that for version v0.1.

Same as before – any comments and/or constructive criticism is appreciated. Thanks -

#12 2007-06-03 09:08:39

colak
Admin

working like a dream…:)

>Edit … Small thing corrected it in your source.

Could you change <script language="javascript"> to <script type="text/javascript">? The first one doesn’t validate.

I’m yet to test the article image slide show and i’m leaving tuesday for a few days but i’ll be back on it when i return.

Last edited by colak (2007-06-03 10:05:09)

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer