Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2007-05-15 17:31:40

Jeremie
Website

Re: [feedback] Drew Mclellan on the state of Textpattern

TNT wrote:

I hope this is not going to be a new topic about the direction Textpattern should be going. These discussions are getting a bit worn out and will have no winners, just losers.

Not quite true. Each time these discussions ignite and then slow down – for a while – almost nothing of the content of the debate was done, but something else was done (almost if not all of the core developers – after Dean – were added because of such discussion).

But this last one is not united, it’s small to medium one scattered over several places and at different time. The first piece did add devs, the rest I doubt will grow anything useful.

We’ll have to wait several month to have a new one :)

Last edited by Jeremie (2007-05-15 17:32:06)

#14 2007-05-15 17:40:25

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

Can we have a new forum area where we can post “OH NOES TXP IS OVAH” discussions? alexandra can moderate.

#15 2007-05-15 21:56:27

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

ramanan wrote:

Can we have a new forum area where we can post “OH NOES TXP IS OVAH” discussions?

We can have a wav file that plays, Let’s get ready to rumble’s%20Get%20Ready%20to%20Rumble.wav, whenever we enter said forum :)

Honestly, I’ve learned my lesson, there are more important things in life than some lines of code on some distant SVN repository. I figure it this way, if the TxP devs can’t come up with a scheme to make monies from their efforts, then their only choice would be to give up control to those people that are willing to work for the love of the GPL.

#16 2007-05-15 22:04:08

mrdale
Website

…patience, grasshopper :)

#17 2007-05-16 00:25:35

Peter Mount
Website

One thing Drew Mclellan mentioned was the lack of a roadmap. This was after he brought up the issue of sponsorship. He seemed to say that it wasn’t worthwhile investing time helping out with TextPattern without the guarantee that that such help would be implemented. This is where a roadmap is needed.

Is there a plan on how this sponsorship model will develop? Will there be a roadmap available for everybody to see?

A roadmap would alleviate the problem of waiting for the time it takes for new features to come into the core of TextPattern. At least people would know what is coming.

I was planning to spend time on using TextPattern soon but after Drew raised his concerns I’ve had to shelve that idea until the dust settles on his article. After all it was Drew’s blog that made me aware of TextPattern in the first place.

I’d like some clear answers on this as I’ve already spent some time getting up to speed on TextPattern and it would be a shame to dump it for something else (I’ve started looking at ExpressionEngine).

#18 2007-05-16 00:31:27

mrdale
Website

Good point, peter, a roadmap would be good idea, let everyone know what’s planned. Hang in there, TXP is a great little framework. :)

#19 2007-05-16 00:57:54

zem
Developer Emeritus

We don’t have a road map for reasons repeated many times before: Textpattern is made from the code we have, not the code we want.

What we do have is some guidelines explaining in general terms the types of patches we’re likely to accept or reject.

Developers: if you have an idea for a new feature that you’re thinking of building, and want to know whether or not we’d accept a patch, please contact us or post on the Development forum. We’ll do our best to give an indication as to whether or not we’d likely accept it.

Currently the “road map” for 4.0.5 looks like this:

• Finish fixing bugs
  • Include good quality, low risk, high payoff patches

It’s exactly the same as the road map for every other version we’ve ever released. The ETA is, “when we’re absolutely certain it’s rock solid, polished and complete”.

If you’d like to volunteer to add something specific to that list, please post on the development forum.

If you’d like to help bring the release date closer, test. Tell us what works and what doesn’t. Test each new change. Post the results, both positive and negative. When we do fix a bug, please confirm whether or not the fix works – we need to know if we’ve broken something else. Please don’t assume we know about bugs; chances are, if we haven’t fixed something, it’s because we don’t either know about it, or don’t have enough information to fix it.

The surest way to guarantee that a bug fix or feature is not included in Textpattern is to sit back and wait for someone else to do it for you.

Last edited by zem (2007-05-16 01:21:10)

Alex

#20 2007-05-16 01:29:51

zem
Developer Emeritus

if the TxP devs can’t come up with a scheme to make monies from their efforts, then their only choice would be to give up control

There is no control to give up. The direction of Textpattern is controlled by those who submit patches.

If we could control that, we might have an actual road map.

to those people that are willing to work for the love of the GPL.

If you know any, please ask them to send patches.

Last edited by zem (2007-05-16 01:35:50)

Alex

#21 2007-05-16 02:04:36

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

The comments from a handful of people have been that Txp is stagnant and going nowhere and that they were looking for solutions elsewhere. Does that not indicate that you think there are unfixable deficiencies, and that you’re uninterested in what we do? Is it not reasonable for me to then say the equivalent of, “Okay, goodbye and good luck, then”? Or would you rather be ignored altogether?

#22 2007-05-16 02:12:07

TheEric
Plugin Author

So is 4.05 going to be a maintenance release, or are there going to be specific additions?

#23 2007-05-16 02:12:58

Peter Mount
Website

There is no control to give up. The direction of Textpattern is controlled by those who submit patches.

Who decides on which patches to use? Isn’t that a form of control?

Would it be a problem to take the wish list and turn that into a roadmap? If people are making money from commercial TextPattern plugins would it not be in their own best interests to ensure a viable roadmap to keep TextPattern going?

#24 2007-05-16 02:30:24

maniqui
Website

A roadmap?
I prefer surprises!

alexandra wrote:

If you (zem & mary) don´t like to listen and take other people ideas into account, nothing will happen/change. By the end zem and you will be the last 2 txp users. That would be very frustrating, wouldn´t it?

I don’t think zem & mary deserve that…
In the last month, zem & mary have listened lot of complains about TxP and the way they handle the development process. I agree with nardo: I have confidence in TxP Team.

BTW, count me as the 3rd last TXP user.

Open ID? robust comment spam? tags?
The Web is simplier.
We should keep standing on the shoulder of giants.

(mmm, me again writing and making non-sense stuff… but after reading this thread, I feel I’m not alone… about writing and making non-sense at all)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer