Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2007-04-29 20:18:37

FireFusion

Re: [feedback] Developers pay

jason wrote:

My attempts to employ the entire textpattern team at textdrive way back in the past (I think Alex is great for example) was stifled because Dean wanted to keep textpattern a separate thing (he could have folded the entire thing into textdrive whenever he wanted to), and I’ve been involved very little with textpattern or following it at the “business level” since then.

Now that would have been interesting, provided it remained open source. Joyent has a great vibe about them with stuff like this and I know they’d stay true to their promises. Being a VC I can say I got my monies worth and continue to get more all the time.

Someone needs to get a hold of Dean and ask him to hand over the keys. Unless he has some plan I’m sure he’d be fine with it.

#50 2007-04-29 22:07:14

zem
Developer Emeritus

First up: once again, Textdrive have been very helpful to the Textpattern dev team. They host all the textpattern.com sites, have upgraded our servers when we’ve outgrown the old ones, and given us patient advice when they’ve had no particular obligation to help (Jason and Filip in particular).

As I said earlier, Textdrive doesn’t owe us anything. The dev team has no complaints about Textdrive. As far as we’re concerned, they’re just a company that gives us free hosting, for which we are thankful.

Jason, thanks for stopping by and clarifying things.

Regarding all the free advice about what the dev team should do, and how open source works: we are not stupid. If we have not done something, there’s a reason for it. If you can do better than us, please send patches.

Regarding the “ownership” stuff: Textpattern is open source. There’s nothing to own. Copyright is held by a dozen different people; the Crockery codebase is BSD/MIT licensed, so there are essentially no restrictions on what can be done with the source. Calls for “ownership” to be handed over to someone else are basically meaningless.

Alex

#51 2007-04-29 23:14:01

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Sounds about right, what you say. Not to forget also, that Servers are sometimes brought down by Users.
However, having the TXD domains on some less busy Server would be great.

( I’d be willing to support my 5 cents towards something like that )

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#52 2007-04-29 23:42:20

artagesw
Website

zem wrote:

Regarding the “ownership” stuff: Textpattern is open source. There’s nothing to own. Copyright is held by a dozen different people; the Crockery codebase is BSD/MIT licensed, so there are essentially no restrictions on what can be done with the source. Calls for “ownership” to be handed over to someone else are basically meaningless.

I think you’ve missed my point. The very fact that copyright is help by multiple people is part of the problem. It makes the whole notion of ownership very fuzzy, but certainly not meangless. Let’s say I want to donate to the TextPattern project. Where does my money go when I click the Donate button? Whose bank account receives the deposit. Who decides what is to be done with the money and who is to receive it? Who pays taxes on it?

As a potential contributer of money to the project, I would like to have some insight into all of this. A formal ownership structure would help to povide that. And I believe far more people would be willing to contribute monetarily if such a structure were to exist.

I just clicked the Donate button to try and answer some of these questions for myself. It appears that your corporate business entity Threshold State will receive donations made through this button. Since Threshold State is presumably a for-profit corporate entity, the term “donation” is probably ill used. I suspect that money received through the button would be considered taxable income (in the US at least). And from what I can gather, Threshold State is not the same thing as Team TextPattern, but a separate company that makes money developing TextPattern-related sites and software.

I feel this simply goes to show that there is not a clear and distinct entity that the public can point to as the official TextPattern development and support organization, to which one might contribute money and know it is going to the desired purpose.

Last edited by artagesw (2007-04-29 23:43:28)

#53 2007-04-30 00:21:59

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

zem wrote:

Calls for “ownership” to be handed over to someone else are basically meaningless.

The Military has a saying that goes “Lead, follow or get out of the way”

So who’s the leader and what’s his vision?

#54 2007-04-30 00:26:55

zem
Developer Emeritus

I just clicked the Donate button to try and answer some of these questions for myself. It appears that your corporate business entity Threshold State will receive donations made through this button. Since Threshold State is presumably a for-profit corporate entity, the term “donation” is probably ill used. I suspect that money received through the button would be considered taxable income (in the US at least). And from what I can gather, Threshold State is not the same thing as Team TextPattern, but a separate company that makes money developing TextPattern-related sites and software.

Thanks. I’ll forward your donation on to Mary once it’s cleared.

Threshold State is an Australian corporate entity. It pays taxes. It’s the commercial entity that represents and handles billing for Team Textpattern (which is essentially a consulting group). Threshold State doesn’t keep the donations, it just passes them on to team members.

Last edited by zem (2007-04-30 00:35:26)

Alex

#55 2007-04-30 00:36:22

zem
Developer Emeritus

So who’s the leader and what’s his vision?

See for yourself.

Alex

#56 2007-04-30 00:36:48

guiguibonbon

artagesw wrote:

I feel this simply goes to show that there is not a clear and distinct entity that the public can point to as the official TextPattern development and support organization, to which one might contribute money and know it is going to the desired purpose.

Not only that, but also a clear and distinct entity that is entitled, for instance, to do textpattern marketing, to draw (business) plans regarding the future. I’m not saying the devs are not allowed to do such things, it’s only that the situation is fuzzy, and no-one seems to take these kind of responsabilities.

And, regarding the “submit patches” song. It only holds up to a certain point. I have myself pointed out some bugs and sent corrected code (not knowing how to do patches- which i do now btw). But if we have no idea what future features you’re planning to integrate, what more could we possibly do? There’s more than a dozen of us having frequent thoughts about how we’d like textpattern to evolve, and ready to start working ont them, only these are never really listened to.

The only thing the community is actually asked for now and then, is how we’d accept to pay you, which in a certain sense, is the last of our concerns (i mean, the modality, not the paying on itself).

In other words, textpattern has nothing of a real community-project. The community is only artificialy invited to participate, and the actual decision-holders show inabilities when it comes to decision-making, possibly because they don’t feel entitled to.

#57 2007-04-30 00:42:18

zem
Developer Emeritus

And, regarding the “submit patches” song. It only holds up to a certain point. I have myself pointed out some bugs and sent corrected code (not knowing how to do patches- which i do now btw). But if we have no idea what future features you’re planning to integrate, what more could we possibly do? There’s more than a dozen of us having frequent thoughts about how we’d like textpattern to evolve, and ready to start working ont them, only these are never really listened to.

Again: the features that will be integrated into Textpattern are the ones that we have. We select from the available patches and code contributions. We can’t predict what people will submit in future. That’s how open source works.

In other words, textpattern has nothing of a real community-project. The community is only artificialy invited to participate, and the actual decision-holders show inabilities when it comes to decision-making, possibly because they don’t feel entitled to.

Each time we invite the community to participate and contribute, or to propose a new initiative, it seems we end up getting told in no uncertain terms to butt out and leave the community alone.

Textpattern’s quality, speed and stability reflects the fact that the dev team is very good at making decisions. What you’re asking for is not decisions, but resources. It’s completely meaningless to say “the next version will include Feature X”, because that won’t be true unless someone takes the time to build it.

Last edited by zem (2007-04-30 01:23:10)

Alex

#58 2007-04-30 01:13:05

hakjoon
Website

zem wrote:
We can’t predict what people will submit in future. That’s how open source works.

No but you can predict which features would move Textpattern towards it’s goal (whatever that is). Open Source is not 1000 monkeys with 1000 typewriters.

Each time we invite the community to participate and contribute, or to propose a new initiative, we end up getting told in no uncertain terms to butt out and leave the community alone.

When did this happen? I certainly missed it (the telling you to butt out part)

It’s completely meaningless to say “the next version will include Feature X”, because that won’t be true unless someone takes the time to build it.

Sorry but as one of the developers you can state that “the next version will have Feature X” and then code it for the next version.

Last edited by hakjoon (2007-04-30 01:14:02)

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#59 2007-04-30 01:53:58

zem
Developer Emeritus

No but you can predict which features would move Textpattern towards it’s goal (whatever that is). Open Source is not 1000 monkeys with 1000 typewriters.

We’re working on that. Will announce something when it’s ready.

Sorry but as one of the developers you can state that “the next version will have Feature X” and then code it for the next version.

The features I have time to code are the ones people hire me to build. Anyone has the ability to announce Feature X and then code it for the next version.

Last edited by zem (2007-04-30 01:55:15)

Alex

#60 2007-04-30 02:09:29

guiguibonbon

hakjoon wrote:

Each time we invite the community to participate and contribute, or to propose a new initiative, we end up getting told in no uncertain terms to butt out and leave the community alone.

When did this happen? I certainly missed it (the telling you to butt out part)

I have rather seen the opposite : everytime the community is showing willingness to contribute (take Image Improvement thread, and Admin facelift for instance); it looks as if devs are intentionaly refusing to give any direction. In Admin Facelift, the message has been : “oh yeah, go on, only it’s useless until we make the admin xhtml/css, which will be for crockery, which will possibly never really be out anyway”. How much would it have cost to say : “Good job guys, but to see this become reality, we’d need one of you to turn the admin into decent HTML.” And then explain how that collaboration might technicaly become a reality. Another classical answer is “make into a plugin”. MLP for instance never should have been a plugin/hack thing, which is way too hard to maintain, and is doomed to die anytime soon.

And regarding the rest of your answer, you seem to be confusing “to-do lists” with “will-be lists”. We’re not asking for promises. We’re asking for directions as to where we can help. You know, the kind of things you must be telling each other on IRC. We’re not asking for ressources, we’re offering, and would just like to know where and how they might be useful.

Last edited by guiguibonbon (2007-04-30 02:10:53)

Board footer