1. Index
  2. » Core development
  3. » [feedback] Developers pay

#13 2007-04-28 07:41:21

Jeremie
Website

Re: [feedback] Developers pay

zem wrote:

The TxD open source funding as it was explained to me: we receive 50% of the profits, which amounts to 50% of $0. I don’t speak for Textdrive, you’d have to ask them if you want a definitive answer.

That seems quite wrong. I’ll try to dig up my saved archive of the various contracts, web pages, TOS of TXD by that time, and see the exact wording of things.

On a personal level, I’m quite pissed the TXP team didn’t get the 200 bucks or so I intended to go their way. On a more global level, this may be huge: Textdrive paint itself as open-source and developer’s best friend, if they back down from a public offer (a contract in fact) like that, this could make some noise.

Edit: Ok, for one plan (the VC2 offer), the sentence is: “For this VC II offering, 10% of gross revenues will be paid directly to the developer you choose.”.

So first thing I was wrong for this plan, it’s 10% not 50%. Second, the “gross revenues” math may have some loopholes in it (if it’s the gross revenue of that plan and nothing else, it’s quite possible to account it permanently in debt, since it wasn’t a regular commercial offer but a way of getting large amount of cash to create capital, fast). I’ll ask around.

Can the TXD customer around here check their old archives, to see if the others plans (including the first VC, and the later on similar offers) have the same wording?

Last edited by Jeremie (2007-04-28 07:51:32)

#14 2007-04-28 09:11:28

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Back then Dean invited me to participate in a project (edit: a venture which was intended to make money) with him and pedro that was textpattern related, but didn’t (initially) involve developing on the core of textpattern. I would only be able to participate if I was being paid (due to personal circumstances), and so I was for a few months, until it soon became clear that the project would not move beyond the planning stages anytime soon and was thus put on hold. Since in the meantime there were bottlenecks for progress that I couldn’t do anything about, I was able to spend and did spend a lot of time working on txp-core (at first also with the intention that a stable core was necessary for other textpattern related stuff anyway).

Last edited by Sencer (2007-04-28 09:15:26)

#15 2007-04-28 10:06:31

jstubbs
Website

Jeremie wrote:

“For this VC II offering, 10% of gross revenues will be paid directly to the developer you choose.”

That’s why I signed up to TXD in the first place – to help fund TXP and its developers. We were given a choice of which developer/application we wished to support, and I chose TXP. As I recall, it did state 10% of either the total amount of the hosting, or 10% of the profits.

Many people like me would have signed up to TXD hosting in order to support TXP, and now we see that the developers got nothing out of it.

All the more reason for the developers to work on paid plugins and other paid options that support the development of TXP.

Alex – any news on the paid plugins/services you are about to offer?

#16 2007-04-28 10:21:09

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

In fact textdrive’s home page still boasts TextDrive proudly supports open source software. TextDrive believes open source software is important for the growth of the internet as a medium of communication, and proudly supports many projects and communities through the provision of servers, infrastructure, development tools and funding. There is no money mentioned there any more

EDIT… OK I’m blind:)

Last edited by colak (2007-04-28 15:11:09)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#17 2007-04-28 13:11:18

FireFusion

It wasn’t that long ago that system was still up. I think when I crossgraded my VC3 account it was still there. PunBB.org still says 15% goes to development of PunBB.

Last edited by FireFusion (2007-04-29 20:13:12)

#18 2007-04-28 15:51:43

rui

jstubbs wrote:

That’s why I signed up to TXD in the first place – to help fund TXP and its developers. We were given a choice of which developer/application we wished to support, and I chose TXP. As I recall, it did state 10% of either the total amount of the hosting, or 10% of the profits.

Many people like me would have signed up to TXD hosting in order to support TXP, and now we see that the developers got nothing out of it.

Exactly my case! And, I’m not happy that the developers did not got nothing…
In my opinion, this situation deserves (at least) a comment by Mr. Dean Allen.

#19 2007-04-28 16:58:49

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

rui wrote:

In my opinion, this situation deserves (at least) a comment by Mr. Dean Allen.

At least a clarification from up top would be nice.

Who gets the donations from the textpattern.com front page?

#20 2007-04-28 17:19:13

jstubbs
Website

Perhaps its time for TXP to take the next step and have paid-for plugins, a list of approved TXP developers (or just Team TXP) and/or Alex’s paid membership scheme. Anything whereby we can directly assist the developers and community.

Contributions don’t work. I have contributed to several developers here, but to be honest, I don’t even remember who exactly! I am more comfortable with directly supporting TXD developers or those who provide paid-for services.

Hear from Dean? He went AWOL – he took a leave of absence from Joyent too. Seems to me Alex is the new leader.

Alex, would you mind clarifying who is in the dev team now? Has Pedro left?

#21 2007-04-28 20:38:36

TheEric
Plugin Author

This reminds me of the B2 -> WordPress huga-a-boo from way back when. Michael disappeared, updates slowed. B2 became driven by a core set of people under no real direction…

Is Dean the new Michael? (I think that was the name of the original B2 developer)

#22 2007-04-28 20:48:44

soulship
Website

Wow! I have two VC accounts in my name and sent several other people that way as well asking them to check TXP as the beneficiary of their percentage. I am aghast that this project never saw a dime off of that. For my part I have close to 1200 dollars into TXD of which 120.00 should have gone to TXP development. That is not to mention at least 6 other accounts that I sent there with the same intent ($2400+ = at least onother $240.00). What a travesty! The subsequent “lifetime” offers should have generated thousands of dollars for this project!

#23 2007-04-28 22:08:50

Neko

soulship wrote:

What a travesty!

Looks like that. I’d certainly like to hear TXD’s reasons/explanations, tho.

Last edited by Neko (2007-04-28 22:10:23)

#24 2007-04-28 22:45:24

zem
Developer Emeritus

Developers with checkin access to the Textpattern svn repository: dean, sencer, pedro, mary, myself, and now ruud and (shortly) wet. You can see who’s active here.

Pedro recently asked us to count him as “emeritus developer” because his new work with Joyent will leave time for occasional contributions only. Sencer has been busy working on other things but hopes to have some time for Textpattern soon. Dean’s last checkin was in September 2005.

The business entity representing Team Textpattern for consulting work and commercial development is Threshold State Pty Ltd, an Australian company.

The textpattern.com domain is owned by Dean. Until about a week ago the Paypal donations from there went to him, as did affiliate hosting revenue; I have no idea how much any of that amounts to. Donations and affiliate commisions from team.textpattern.com go to team members; revenue from there is minimal but much appreciated.

Any arrangements regarding VC funding were made between Textdrive and Dean. The rest of the team had no involvement to my knowledge. Textdrive made no promises or agreements with us.

I can’t answer for Textdrive; I don’t work for them, and I don’t know what arrangements they made with their customers. Any questions should be directed to them.

Last edited by zem (2007-04-28 22:48:05)

Alex

1. Index
  2. » Core development
  3. » [feedback] Developers pay

Board footer