Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2007-04-07 07:50:23

Destry
Website

Re: [textile] Abbreviations (acronyms, initialisms, etc)

@logoleptic:

I’m well aware of the browser statistics, and the W3C recommendations, and though I’m no longer a freelancer, I do work in a company that produces products for the “working web”. If there’s never a Textile thingie for abbr, I don’t really care because like Jeremie says, I just use the standard tag. As for using it solely (and not acronym), its not a radical thing that will make the sky fall, it’s a minor tag and most idiot IE6 users won’t give a hoot anyway, and in this case being progressively enhancement is a plus since all standards-savvy browsers know it, and using it improves the real semantics of the English language (but that’s a different, and trivial, issue having to do with the definition of acronym, which I’m finding to still be up in the air). Keep up the good, passionate work.

Last edited by Destry (2007-04-07 07:51:48)

#26 2007-04-07 14:04:34

Jeremie
Website

Note that in the HTML W3C Working Group (people drafting HTML5) there’s a lot of talk about dropping it, or merging it with the acronym tag. A lot of people are against it, and it may not happen; but the debate is there.

#27 2007-04-07 21:13:11

jumpserve
Website

IBM is an initialism and I can really see myself (or anyone else) typing that with periods after the letters.

#28 2007-10-05 00:15:21

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

Question about textile behavior.

I’m trying to use acronym, but textile doesn’t want to discover the start of it becaus i type in russian. When i retype the same phrase in english characters – everything is OK.

My “bad” phrase is ПВХ
The “good” phrase is PVC

I think the problem is somewhere in classTextile.php in one of RegExp. But where…

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

#29 2007-11-22 21:33:28

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Interesting problem. The abbreviation regex only checks for uppercase US-ASCII letters.
In classTextile, try changing this:

'/\b([A-Z][A-Z0-9]{2,})\b(?:[(]([^)]*)[)])/'

into

'/(?:^|[^\p{Lu}\d])(\p{Lu}[\p{Lu}\d]{2,})(?:$|[^\p{Lu}\d]|[(]([^)]*)[)])/u',

This is completely untested and requires at least PHP 4.4 or PHP 5.1 (I currently have neither installed).

#30 2007-12-26 22:10:19

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

2 ruud – unfortunately this “hack” doesn’t work. Any other ways to fix it?

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

#31 2008-11-17 19:32:43

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

Just “up” if the way to fix this is known already :)

Board footer