Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2007-03-06 01:09:04

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Re: Thinking about building an e-commerce plugin...

(I’ve moved this discussion to the main Plugins forum, as this is discussing a work in progress, rather than a request. :) )

#26 2007-03-06 02:18:31

mrdale
Website

>a-band
OK works again, thanks, looks like you’re moving right along…

I think you should use TXPs existing “image” and “category” capabilities, rather than duplicate those functions. What do you think?

#27 2007-03-06 15:20:14

-jw-

Well, I’m a bit further I think.

I found that I’m not able to acces the article event (content -> write tab) nor the admin event (admin -> site admin tab) when this plugin is installed. Here is what I do (plugin installed):

Login to textpattern gives me a blank screen (event=article)
via the adress bar go to event=store everything is fine
click the top nav bar tab admin results in a blank screen as does clicking the content tab
via the adresbar go to event=image everything is fine, wich also goes for the other events except the two mentioned above

This happens on two seperate hosts, one local development and one with my hosting company. I haven’t got a clue why this is happening.

I can live with this, don’t get me wrong. I think textpattern and it’s userbase is going to benefit a great deal from this plugin.

textile deletes my identity

#28 2007-03-06 15:41:32

duchamp
Website

Woow This sound promising! Luv it!
Just a question … wich payment methods this will use?
What about “pay and download”, I mean if you’re going to sell some kind of digital files (Eg.: MP3s) … would TextCommerce suitable to do that?

Thx in advance!

#29 2007-03-06 22:42:17

a_band
Website

mrdale I think you should use TXPs existing “image” and “category” capabilities, rather than duplicate those functions. What do you think?

I’m totally down with that, as the kids say. I was already planning on using TXPs category functions but I did custom-write all the image upload functionality. I’ll take a look at the codebase and see what I can use.

jw I found that I’m not able to acces the article event (content -> write tab) nor the admin event (admin -> site admin tab)

That’s very strange. It must be overriding those events. I’ll look into that and get back to you.

duchamp Just a question … wich payment methods this will use?

Well, the standard ones like PayPal & Credit Cards Gateways. The goal would be that each payment method would be a separate plugin and if none suited your needs you could just write your own payment plugin. My goal is to write a few payment plugins as examples before the ‘official’ release.

What about “pay and download”, I mean if you’re going to sell some kind of digital files (Eg.: MP3s) … would TextCommerce suitable to do that?

I’ve been thinking about that. I haven’t implemented anything but it occurs to me that we could easily use TXP file upload functionality to sell digital files. You could just create a product and assign it a file to download after purchase. This would probably be version 2 functionality though…

By the way Alex, you are an amazing illustrator. Your site is astounding. If you ever want to donate a bit of e-commerce themed artwork to the project, feel free to do so… :-)

~ Levi ———————————-

#30 2007-03-07 00:40:11

duchamp
Website

a_band wrote: By the way Alex, you are an amazing illustrator. Your site is astounding. If you ever want to donate a bit of e-commerce themed artwork to the project, feel free to do so… :-)

Thanks a lot! I like the idea … I’m going to put this on my ToDo’s list!

#31 2007-03-08 16:16:39

-jw-

Levi,

Just a question about localization of the plugin. It’s all geared towards the $ markets and I see good use of the plugin on the €uropean markets. It would be nice to have the possibillity to translate plugin items. Have you thought about this? I think maybe something allong the way translations are handled with the zem_contact_reborn plugin, where a seperate plugin zem_contact_lang is used to aid the translation effort.

What do you think?

regards -jw-

textile deletes my identity

#32 2007-03-08 16:51:30

sthmtc
Website

^ i second this. also tax handling and shipping zones should be developed with the non-us people in mind.

#33 2007-03-08 17:51:47

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

I’d recommend using the Multi Language Pack (MLP) for translations, which is more flexible than the ‘zem_contact_lang’ approach.

#34 2007-03-08 18:47:59

mrdale
Website

>a_band

{smallish} request. Could you add version numbers to the plugin, just so we can keep track of which v is installed.

Thanks for your work on this BTW… Looks promising.

#35 2007-03-08 19:01:54

a_band
Website

Just a question about localization of the plugin. It’s all geared towards the $ markets and I see good use of the plugin on the €uropean markets. It would be nice to have the possibillity to translate plugin items. Have you thought about this? I think maybe something allong the way translations are handled with the zem_contact_reborn plugin, where a seperate plugin zem_contact_lang is used to aid the translation effort

This is something I hadn’t thought about. It seems like it would be fairly straight-forward to be compatible with European markets, language-wise. TXP already has a number of tools to make plugins multilingual. The tax & shipping zones seem a little more complicated but I’m sure they’re doable. If anyone has more thoughts on this, feel free to speak up.

{smallish} request. Could you add version numbers to the plugin, just so we can keep track of which v is installed.

Sure. That would be easy. I’ll start adding them in with each update.

Last edited by a_band (2007-03-08 19:02:19)

~ Levi ———————————-

#36 2007-03-12 23:50:51

a_band
Website

Hey everyone,

I was recently contact by an interested party wondering what my timeframes were for delivering a working version of TextCommerce. I thought I’d clear this up and also give people an opportunity to speed the delivery of this plugin. If anyone is interested in speeding up the development of TextCommerce, I’ve put together a DropCash campaign to purchase 10 hours of development towards TextCommerce.

I currently work on this plugin nearly every day and I plan to continue work on it even if nobody donates anything. The thing is though, I have to keep client work as first priority to pay the bills. Because of this I can only work on TextCommerce when I have time in-between the paying work.

However, If I can meet this fundraising goal, I’ll be able to set aside 10 hours of TextCommerce development at “client-work” priority. I’m thinking that 10 hours will be enough to push this plugin into working-beta mode.

Again, thanks for everyone’s support here. This is a really great development community.

~ Levi ———————————-

Board footer