Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#217 2007-03-17 17:48:36

hakjoon
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] zem_event [flexible integrated event management]

Please keep in mind that this is what brought about the idea of zem event code

We are trying a different approach. A community plugin. We put it up in a openly available project tracker and source control so that others can contribute back and the plugin will not depend on a single developer for progress.

New additions and enhancements are welcome, bug fixes are even more welcome, but I hope we get a nice group of people working around this and as people get busy others can jump in much like Stuart, Tranquillo and now Rudd did with zem_contact_reborn. I’m also hoping more of the plugin developers do this so that we don’t have as many branches of similar plugins to address one change and fewer plugins dissapear.

I would have loved to see an official location for this to happen but other developers seemed uninterested so I’m trying it with Matthew’s help. We’ll see if it works out.

Hopefully I’m making sense.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#218 2007-03-17 18:03:06

squaredeye
Website

mrdale wrote:

• This plugin has less support than most freely contributed plugins
  • This plugin requires payment for bug fixes, and incremental releases.
  • The developer response time and support for this wicked-slow.

Dale. I FULLY agree with you here.

• I am glad this plugin is in the open.
  • I have had a really great experience with Alex (Zem), who has been as forthcoming about his work as possible (although I’ve learned what kind of questions to ask in the future).
  • If I commission a plugin from Team Textpattern or any other dev. in the future, I’ll have a better idea of what to ask for from the get-go.
  • I am hopeful that zem_event_code will be a strong paradigm, and one to follow in the future.

I share many of the frustrations of this group and yourself, but I do not have the same liberties of frustration. I have put 40+ hours into testing and shepharding to see this plugin to fruition, and yet my early mistakes of not asking for either more funding to cover documentation/support or simply downgrading the functionality in order to up the doc/support, put me in a place of “responsibility” over the plugin. A place, I’m frankly not fond of at this point :)

Anyway, Thanks go to Matthew (many thanks, actually, he has made a a huge contribution) for pushing this plugin forward. It has great potential.

Thank you for that Dale. I do appreciate it. I’m learning as I go. And as always, thanks for your insight as well.
Also, thanks to Patrick for leading me to see the benefits of taking the plugin more obviously public.

Matthew

#219 2007-03-17 20:48:17

NeilA
Website

Thanks for the detailed response Matthew.

I won’t clutter the thread any further, except to say that perhaps this model of plugin development is most frustrating to the non-coders here.

I guess we have been spoiled by gifted coders producing ‘free’ plugins that generally work really well ‘out of the box’ and have enough documentation for people like me to get my head around them.
I also understand this is a complex plugin which require more effort to understand and use… but I’m repeating myself.

I will contribute to the financial support of this plugin – but it still goes against the grain, paying for something that I actually can’t use yet…

Regards

Neil – Blue Mountains, Australia

http://westserve.org
http://ministrygrounds.net.au

#220 2007-03-17 21:33:02

rsilletti

Anyone?

I’ve a patch idea that I am working on and I could use a little help at this point. The current atate of the patch can be viewed here

What I think the problem is here is the way I am using the “checkbox” controls. The queries in zem_event_save are writing to the database properly but are writing defaults from the queries because no value is being passed to zem_event_save, I am also getting undefined variable notices for “auto_delete_event” and “auto_delete_entry” variables when loading the write tab.

Could someone who knows these controls take a look and point me in the right direction if I’m not using them right. Once past the reading and writing of these controls to the database, the rest of this should go smoothly.

#221 2007-03-17 21:46:32

squaredeye
Website

rsilletti,
I wonder if anyone would freakout if we posted some of these needs to the devlist? Or if you posted it to a plugin dev thread? I wonder how many developers are following here? I wish I could help man. Thanks for putting some work into this.

Neil,
I hear you on the frustration end. Thank you for bearing with the plugin. Feel free to ask questions here, or ask me personally. Lets see if we can’t get a calendar rolling for you :)

#222 2007-03-17 21:59:24

hakjoon
Website

Rick,

I haven’t had the chance to apply the patch but from looking at the diff it looks like you are never pulling zem_auto_delete_entry and zem_auto_delete_event back from post. Right before the zem_event_save() call in zem_event_handler() you will see block that pulls all the zem_event post variables into variables without the zem event prefix. I think all you need is to add

$auto_delete_entry = ps('zem_auto_delete_entry') ? ps('zem_auto_delete_entry') : NULL;
$auto_delete_event = ps('zem_auto_delete_event') ? ps('zem_auto_delete_event') : NULL;

in order to save the values.

I think then you will need to explicitly call the variables into the current scope since zem is not running an extract on $row. Probably just need to do

$auto_delete_entry = @$row['auto_delete_entry'];
$auto_delete_event = @$row['auto_delete_event'];

around line 1565 – 1580. Hope that helps.

#223 2007-03-18 00:05:11

nardo

The plugin works great & the reference at Textbook lets you know all the tags available and where they can be used

it’s true you’ll need to learn by doing & there’s some minor bugs to be fixed… but dive in – pretty tight first release for such important new functionality! and usable immediately

#224 2007-03-18 00:17:37

sparkybarkalot

Great plugin. Will be donating right after I get done typing this. Just thought I’d mention that, as far as I can I tell, the zem_event_calendar_nav function builds the prev link, month name, and next link in the wrong order. I just edited the plugin and swapped the lines where it builds the prev link and next link and it now works as you’d expect it: with the “prev” link to the left of the month and the “next” link to the right of the month.

#225 2007-03-18 00:29:07

rsilletti

Thanks Patrick, that saved me some time, I would have been a while finding the scope oversight “hit and miss”. I’ve updated the patch text. The notices have cleared, however, I’m still writing NULL to the database fields when saved. The manner in which the queries are being used (borrowed from the line above) won’t work for these values in any case, and I’ll adjust those, but true values should be written when they are set and they are not.
I still don’t think I’m passing anything to zem_event_save?

I got it working, the only remaining undesirable behaviour left in the set/save routine is when editing an existing article and event, prior settings for these aren’t retrieved but are both left unchecked (might be better left that way?)

Thanks again Patrick.

Last edited by rsilletti (2007-03-18 03:44:18)

#226 2007-03-18 01:27:22

squaredeye
Website

Patrick,
shall you and I go through this thread and take a look at the fixes folks have suggested and take those to the google code? Could be good to have a .1 update?

Lemme know if you’re up for it in the next two days. Catch me on IM.

#227 2007-03-18 06:10:31

hakjoon
Website

@matthew:
Let’s do that. I started working a little bit towards a .1 today (or is it yesterday damn leprechauns).

@sparkybarkalot:
Can you be a little more specific about what you changed? I can see if I can incorporate the change.

#228 2007-03-18 10:26:45

squaredeye
Website

Hak,
I documented that change earlier in the thread. Its simply changing the order of the next/prev links in the navigation code.

Change this:

# prev link
	$out[] = '<a rel="prev" class="'.$prevclass.'" href="'.pagelinkurl(array(
		'date' => $prev_m,
		's'    =>@$pretext['s'],
		'c'    =>@$pretext['c'],
		'q'    =>@$pretext['q'],
	)).'">'.$prev.'</a>';

# month name
	$out[] = doTag(strftime('%B', mktime(0,0,0,$m,1,$y)), $labeltag, $class);

# next link
	$out[] = '<a rel="next" class="'.$nextclass.'" href="'.pagelinkurl(array(
		'date' => $next_m,
		's'    =>@$pretext['s'],
		'c'    =>@$pretext['c'],
		'q'    =>@$pretext['q'],
	)).'">'.$next.'</a>';

To this:

# next link
	$out[] = '<a rel="next" class="'.$nextclass.'" href="'.pagelinkurl(array(
		'date' => $next_m,
		's'    =>@$pretext['s'],
		'c'    =>@$pretext['c'],
		'q'    =>@$pretext['q'],
	)).'">'.$next.'</a>';	

# month name
	$out[] = doTag(strftime('%B', mktime(0,0,0,$m,1,$y)), $labeltag, $class);

# prev link
	$out[] = '<a rel="prev" class="'.$prevclass.'" href="'.pagelinkurl(array(
		'date' => $prev_m,
		's'    =>@$pretext['s'],
		'c'    =>@$pretext['c'],
		'q'    =>@$pretext['q'],
	)).'">'.$prev.'</a>';

EDIT: with better formatting of course :) (let me know if I borked it somehow, but that’s what I had done).

ALSO, thanks folks who have donated recently.

Last edited by ma_smith (2007-03-18 10:27:51)

Board footer