Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#133 2007-02-14 04:22:59

squaredeye
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] zem_event [flexible integrated event management]

Opalcat,
If you care to send me the plugin code for the hack you’ve come up with, and/or the lines where the first chunk of PHP was added I will submiit this as a possible patch to Zem, and at least add it to the examples page (giving you credit where credit is due of course).

Let me know.

#134 2007-02-14 04:46:10

rsilletti

One idea that would work well as a feature of this plugin is the auto deletion of articles, and given events those as well, with a setting in the event form. I find that the patch for what I would like to see available is somewhat beyond my skill level.
I’ve no real idea what the cost for development would be for this and I don’t need it myself for anything I am doing, but I find that I am still being approached for the idea. The plugin I did do was ras_delete_expired which was tailored to a specific need.
The general idea is to create the option in the event form to auto delete an event and/or article at the expiration of the event, as a setting in the form, on an event by event basis.
Given the presence in the database fields in zem_event_calender to contain values, for instance : delete_article & delete_event by field name and the input check boxes in the event form for “Delete event on expiration” & “Delete article and event on expiration” the rest could be done with a plugin; of course the complete functionality would be nice as well.
I would like to be able to refer folks interested in this idea to this thread and perhaps gain enough support for it to get it done, if the idea has merit?

Last edited by rsilletti (2007-02-14 04:46:39)

#135 2007-02-14 05:22:09

maniqui
Website

Hi rick.

When you said “delete”… do you mean to delete it from the database or just “deleting” (hiding) in the public side?

Maybe the “delete” action could just be to set the article/event to status “hidden” or “draft” (i think “hidden” makes more sense).

One “problem” with this delete/hide could be… what to do with the permanent link? return a 404?

I hope I’ve understand right your idea.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#136 2007-02-14 05:59:10

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

maniqui wrote:

One “problem” with this delete/hide could be… what to do with the permanent link? return a 404?

I think “410 Gone” would be a proper reply code for “existed then, but vanished now” resources. This adds the benefit that one could easily add a page template named “error_410” in order to provide the user with friendly instructions on how to handle this mischief. My articles having expiry dates patch works this way, too.

#137 2007-02-14 10:54:26

decoderltd
Website

I’ve installed the plug-in but keep getting this Notice: Unable to save event in /httpdocs/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(512) : eval()'d code on line 1548& whenever I try to enter data on certain fields (eg Time, Contact Email), ay idea what’s going wrong?

jstubbs wrote:

I had that error and it means the JS is not getting loaded. Can’t remember offhand how I fixed it but try to make sure your JS is in the right place.

Thanks jstubbs,

The JS seems to be in the right place as most of the fields are working, it just when the I get to Time and Finish Time fields. Would it have anything to do with my database tables or does it expect a particular entry format?

Last edited by decoderltd (2007-02-14 12:22:11)

#138 2007-02-14 12:11:46

WebKat

Matthew: the complete relevant bit of code with my changes is this:

# provide $m and $y
	$prev = str_replace('$y',$y,$prev);
	$prev = str_replace('$m',$m,$prev);
	$next = str_replace('$y',$y,$next);
	$next = str_replace('$m',$m,$next);

# next and previous months
	$prev_m = strftime('%Y-%m', strtotime('-1 month', mktime(0,0,0,$m,1,$y)));
	$next_m = strftime('%Y-%m', strtotime('+1 month', mktime(0,0,0,$m,1,$y)));

# prev link
	$out[] = '<a rel="prev" class="'.$prevclass.'" href="'.pagelinkurl(array(
		'date' => $prev_m,
		's'    =>@$pretext['s'],
		'c'    =>@$pretext['c'],
		'q'    =>@$pretext['q'],
	)).'">'.$prev.'</a>';

# month name
	$out[] = doTag(strftime('%B', mktime(0,0,0,$m,1,$y)), $labeltag, $class);

# next link
	$out[] = '<a rel="next" class="'.$nextclass.'" href="'.pagelinkurl(array(
		'date' => $next_m,
		's'    =>@$pretext['s'],
		'c'    =>@$pretext['c'],
		'q'    =>@$pretext['q'],
	)).'">'.$next.'</a>';

WebKat

#139 2007-02-14 14:32:41

squaredeye
Website

decoderltd,
What formats are you using for times, etc.
Can you describe the process of filling in the article or give us a screenshot of what you are filling in?

OpalCat,
Thanks, on both accounts. You can donate as little or as much as you like, its all needed, and if you give it with great heart that’s what counts :), well, okay, maybe that has more to do with charity giving, but hey, it sounded good. If you find the plugin helpful, consider paying for it, what you might benefit from it. ie: will you use it at a time where you might make money from it? Or will you always use it for personal uses? Based on those answers, you should probably come up with a good answer. ps. what are you studying?

rsilleti,
Your feature request sounds good. Do you think it would be possible to raise both awareness and funds for such a feature? If you were to manage that, I could interface with Zem, unless you prefer to. Not all features need to be public, though it seems to be the modus operandi of many here at the forum to make them so, and I tend to enjoy that myself :). Let me know how you’d like to proceed.

Wet,
Your addition would be smart too.

#140 2007-02-14 14:36:44

WebKat

I’m going for my BFA with a concentration in graphic design.

Btw, my personal homepage uses Textpattern as well, and it’s getting close to being done…well ok maybe not “close” but it’s usable at this point. I have about 1/3 of my content transferred over. I only started messing with Textpattern about 3-4 weeks ago so I’m learning as I go along.

http://www.opalcat.com

WebKat

#141 2007-02-14 16:23:52

renobird
Website

Matthew,

Getting a 404 error on the donation link.
Just a heads up.

Tom

Last edited by renobird (2007-02-14 16:24:31)

#142 2007-02-14 17:09:57

hakjoon
Website

Matthew, Any thoughts of coordinating community efforts around this? The plugin is GPL’ed so at the very least adding the toggle option or OpalCat’s additons don’t really require any of Zem’s time.

I mean releasing a version with the toggle code I provided above would only take the 2 seconds to do an export from plugin composer. And I’d be happy to add OpalCat’s changes too. However I think it wouldn’t be beneficial to have a bunch of branches floating around, so it would be nice to have an official place where the integrations could happen.

Anyway just thinking. I love the idea of plugins becoming more community owned then tied to a specific developer. Makes the likelyhood of development stopping less likely.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#143 2007-02-14 17:24:14

decoderltd
Website

Hi Hak,

Thanks for creating the toggle code, certinally makes everything much tidier.

Like your idea regards a single branch for community development. Love to help if you’re happy for me to make suggestions, I’m afraid I have no php experience what-so-ever!

#144 2007-02-14 17:48:54

rsilletti

maniqui,

“ Delete” is intended to mean remove permanently from the database, display control is more easily done but has drawbacks with both external factors (rss and such) and some display options.
Most request this to automate the process of removing article content after its need has been served.

Board footer