Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#961 2008-09-30 16:09:15

els

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

I don’t believe it! The very second I hit ‘submit’ for my post above, an idea crossed my mind: why does <txp:site_url /> work correctly when followed by a directory, and not when followed by a file name? So I moved the favicon.ico to the /images directory and changed the link accordingly. Problem solved!

Still, it was a very odd behaviour, so I’ll leave my post for further investigation if anyone’s interested ;) And the ‘problem’ of the disappearing language marker when submitting a zcr form still stands.

#962 2008-09-30 16:28:48

redbot
Plugin Author

Els
I can’t speak for what concerns ZCR since I haven’t still used it.
Regarding your problem with site_url, I think it’s somewhat related to the new option present in the MLP preferences which lets you exclude some directories from url rewrite (I can’t be more specific now cos I’m at work). In my case I had to move my css from the site root to a “css” directory and then exclude that directory from url-rewriting.
Yes I know I’m not so clear but you can check yourself going to the MLP preferences.

edit
Now I remember I asked Steve for a similar problem when I upgraded to the latest version

Last edited by redbot (2008-09-30 16:43:11)

#963 2008-09-30 16:46:48

els

Yes, you are very clear :) I hadn’t even looked at the preferences yet. (Sticking notes all over the place: RTFM before you post!)

redbot wrote:

Now I remember I asked Steve for a similar problem when I upgraded to the latest version

RTFM and the plugin thread… sigh…

Last edited by els (2008-09-30 16:50:04)

#964 2008-09-30 16:50:46

maniqui
Website

Els wrote:

First odd behaviour is that when a form is submitted through zem_contact_reborn, the language marker in the URL (/en or /nl) disappears. So the URL looks like site.com/about/#zcretcetera instead of site.com/en/about/#zcretcetera. This in itself is not a very big problem, because the right language is still displayed, though I don’t know if it is supposed to happen.

I can confirm the language marker being removed after the form is submitted

When the form is not submitted because one or more fields are not filled correctly and one or more errors are shown, the same thing happens. When, after filling all fields correctly, I submit the form once again, things are getting more than odd… On the Dutch page, the form is submitted. On the English page, I get a 405 Method Not Allowed. The URL of that page is site.com/favicon.ico#zcretcetera??? Search me… (This only happens when the form is re-submitted after the errors are displayed.)

I can’t reproduce this. Although the language marker is missing (after submiting a form not filled correctly), if I correct the fields, then the form is submitted for both English and Spanish.

Also, when I’m on a page with a URL like site.com/about/#zcretcetera, the link to the Dutch page in the language list (created with <txp:l10n_lang_list />) links to site.com/nl/favicon.ico instead of site.com/nl/about/… (This does not happen with the link to English on the Dutch page!)

Weird! Couldn’t it be a tag (HTML or Txp) not being closed properly? Sounds like that kind of hard to spot typo errors.

In the <head> section of my page I have these two lines of code using <txp:site_url />, it gives a different output in each case…

It should work even without the full URL, like this: <script type="text/javascript" src="/textpattern/jquery.js"></script> (same for favicon link).
Although I can confirm the language mark is inserted, for example, in this code <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" />, when the page is rendered.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#965 2008-09-30 16:52:29

maniqui
Website

Also, as redbot noticed, there is that option for exclude directories from url rewrite.
I’m curious… what happens if you put a “/” in that field?

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#966 2008-09-30 17:15:35

redbot
Plugin Author

maniqui wrote:

Wow, that’s what I call creativity!
I can’t try it now and actually I’m too coward to try it, I fear my computer could explode.

#967 2008-09-30 18:35:22

els

maniqui wrote:

I hate to disappoint you, but I just tried that, and nothing happens, everything still works :)

You can even enter * there, and everything still works ;)

#968 2008-09-30 18:56:05

Timid&friendly
Website

I had a same problem steve had with the language marker being injected into the urls of my linked css files even though I stipulated in the exclude directory preferences the CSS directory should be ignored.

I did solve this by adding a comma in that field ie “,css” and Bob was my uncle. It shouldn’t have been necessary as that directory was the first in a series. I guess it must be a parsing error :-?

Last edited by Timid&friendly (2008-09-30 18:56:37)

I think, therefore I AM, … … er … I think :-?

#969 2008-09-30 19:14:01

els

maniqui wrote:

I can’t reproduce this. Although the language marker is missing (after submiting a form not filled correctly), if I correct the fields, then the form is submitted for both English and Spanish.

I can still reproduce this when I remove the images/ part from the favicon link. Before submitting the form the html code is this:

<form method="post" id="zcra84633a91e9aa036ff1d5968dafba0ff" class="zemContactForm" action="/about/#zcra84633a91e9aa036ff1d5968dafba0ff">

After submitting without filling the fields it becomes

<form method="post" id="zcra84633a91e9aa036ff1d5968dafba0ff" class="zemContactForm" action="/favicon.ico#zcra84633a91e9aa036ff1d5968dafba0ff">

… but only on the English page.

And yes, I’ve been searching for hours for unclosed tags, typos or whatsoever, ran the code through the validator… I just don’t see anything out of order.

David
I tried to add a comma at the beginning of the list (,css,js), also only put nothing else but a comma there, but that doesn’t make a difference in this case.

#970 2008-09-30 23:28:35

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

All

Wow — I go to bed early for once and there’s a post-storm on the thread. :)

redbot wrote:

Steve,
thank you for your prompt help. Here is a picture of the “write” tab after I click on any cloned rendition in the “articles” sub-tab.

Hmmm, glad you go that sorted out but I’m still curious about the picture you posted — is it really of a cloned rendition?? If so, something is really broken with the cloning as there is no rendition or article id being shown.

Els

re: not being able to downgrade — did you disable the plugin before you tried that? I think you should be able to downgrade if you do that. You might have to resort to phpMyAdmin to disable it now though.

re: missing language marker on form submission. Yes, that happens because the MLP Pack doesn’t rewrite submission urls on forms. However, as you noticed, that shouldn’t stop the form working or the site from forgetting which language you are using as the language is held in a session cookie.

Si

Sorry about that. It is something that could be used by other plugins too — particularly zem_event.

Timid&friendly

Wow — you had to prefix with a lone ‘,’ to get it working? That field is parsed by one of Txp’s own routines.

Steve

#971 2008-10-01 10:57:48

redbot
Plugin Author

Hello Steve,
yes, you’re right, probably the picture I posted wasn’t a cloned rendition because I was only interested in showing you the language popup I was talking about. So don’t worry, there is no problem regarding cloned renditions, all is working ok and – as I explained – all the problems I was complaining about were caused only by me and my thickness, setting the right options in the MLP preferences solved it all.
Thank you again!

edit:
Just to reassure you. Here is a screenshot with “Power users can change a rendition’s language or article?” set to “yes”.
The problem I had (which now I have no more having set the option to “no”) was that the popup didn’t default to the language of the cloned rendition (and, by the way, I still suggest you to change this behaviour for the ones setting this option to “yes”)

Last edited by redbot (2008-10-01 13:47:40)

#972 2008-10-02 01:04:08

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

redbot

Yes, that’s more like it. Yeah that will need looking at, are you running the latest dev version there?

Steve

Board footer