Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#817 2008-06-28 15:52:17

Timid&friendly
Website

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

OK got it!!!! SOOOOORRRRYYYY

I forgot to turn on the version 4.0.3-MLP
It works now. Is it not a problem to run the two zem_contact_lang versions along side each other?

I think, therefore I AM, … … er … I think :-?

#818 2008-06-28 15:54:10

maniqui
Website

C) I have two versions of the plugin “zem_contact_lang” version 4.0.3.6 and version 4.0.3.6 4.0.3-MLP

Not sure if directly related (edit: no, not related) to your problem, but you should de-active/remove the non-MLP version.

Last edited by maniqui (2008-06-28 15:54:40)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#819 2008-06-28 16:00:53

Timid&friendly
Website

Yep! I got errors when i activated it, it’s now turned of and seems to work

#820 2008-06-28 16:04:03

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Timid&friendly

Good to hear you got it working. Enjoy the pack.

maniqui

…I’ve upgraded to latest version and everything seems to have worked fine for me.

Fantastic! Any feedback on the new features? Is the “Clone all from…” feature okay for you?

Last edited by net-carver (2008-06-28 16:06:30)

Steve

#821 2008-06-29 10:02:44

Timid&friendly
Website

Ok there are somethings i’m not understanding about URL

Before url’s where like this www.Site/Section/Title
The language is now prepended to the url so i now get www.Site/Language/Section/Title
I’m using CLEAN URL’S section/title

It can’t find any pages now, no sections, no categories, no articles. Can someone please point out what I missing?

Last edited by Timid&friendly (2008-06-29 10:03:54)

#822 2008-06-29 13:34:45

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Timid&friendly

Before url’s where like this www.Site/Section/Title
The language is now prepended to the url so i now get www.Site/Language/Section/Title

That’s correct pack output. The urls have the language markers inserted into them so the browser doesn’t get confused about the language of the page it’s looking at (caching an English one and then displaying the cached, English, one when you switch to German etc.)

When you followed the installation instructions, you would have…

1. Added all your site languages before installing the pack
  2. Switched to the language you wanted your site served in by default
  3. Run the setup wizard
  4. Checked that the Content > MLP > Preferences showed all the languages you wanted in a comma separated list with the default language first in the list. The setup wizard will have marked your existing articles as being in your default language — you can check this out on the Content > MLP > Articles tab.

Now you might need to make sure your browser language-accept headers are setup correctly for your site or turn off browser accept-language header processing in the Content > MLP > Preferences (the later is the easier way to go when getting started.) However, if you choose to change your browser headers, I suggest you make your site default language the one that your browser asks for first. When you visit www.Site you should see the homepage either in the site’s default language or whatever language your site serves that your browser is requesting first.

Next you will need to clone your existing articles for translation into the other language(s) of your site using the Content > MLP > Articles table. You can clone individual renditions or whole languages.

Please be sure to read through the plugin’s help (accessed from the Admin > Plugins page. Look for the l10n line and hit the view link.) This introduces you to the terminology and capabilities of the pack and will show you the icons and describe how they work. You will also see the documentation for the public tags that you can use (eg. l10n_lang_list for outputting a context-sensitive list of languages your site serves— very useful.)

You could also watch the flash video I made some time ago (showing an older version of the pack.) Check the head-post of this thread for the link.

Steve

#823 2008-06-30 16:09:56

Timid&friendly
Website

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have read everything and watched the swf numerous times.

I did all the steps you indicated and indeed all the articles are present and correct under the Content > MLP > Articles tab. I even cloned an article and tested the language switch and that works fine.
But for one reason or other all the original articles can not be accessed using the new language marker urls?
If i remove the language marker from the url i get the correct page. So for whatever reason the language marker urls are not finding the correct pages and i get the old 404 Not Found error message.

I have one idea, I use the hak_tinymce 0.7.4b plugin on the site. Could that have something to do with why the pages are not found?

Last edited by Timid&friendly (2008-06-30 16:12:24)

#824 2008-07-01 07:51:43

soipo

Good morning,
i am writing you as my server doesn t allow me to use clean permanent link mode and i can use only “messy”, now i was wondering how it would be possible to use your plugin in this mode ?
Tnx a lot .
Soipo

#825 2008-07-01 08:02:40

soipo

Another tip for my problem , the site is www.grilocapoeira.com/newsite

#826 2008-07-01 14:34:23

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

soipo

I definitely don’t recommend putting this hack on live sites until you are familiar with it. It doesn’t work in subdirectory installs so if you’re putting under “/newsite” it may not behave as you want anyway, even with a clean url mode.

I’d suggest you do a local or development server install first and try it with Txp in messy mode to make sure it can do what you are looking for (things like commenting / contact form or whatever.) You definitely don’t want to be going down this road with a client site only to find it’s a dead-end.

Timid&friendly

I’m stumped. Feel free to email me with more details — like a live url etc.

One thought — do you have any subdirectories under your site root that match the language marker — for example an ‘/en’ directory for something? If you did then the .htaccess script will be trying to serve out of that directory instead of passing it to Txp.

Steve

#827 2008-07-03 12:38:58

soipo

Thanks a lot for the fast answer,
well i don’t have any directory that could interfere with your plugin,
i think the server doesn t allow me to use Permanent link mode urls, that; s why i get an error probably.
Btw i,ve tryied also to install textpattern with your plugin in the main directory and i had the same problem.
Can you give me some hints about that hack you mentioned in your last post, i can try it on another host.
Thanks again

#828 2008-07-03 13:09:32

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

soipo

Hello again. I think the pack should work on the messy scheme, although I haven’t tried the new version under messy URLs.

You wrote…

i think the server doesn t allow me to use Permanent link mode urls, that; s why i get an error probably.

What error do you get?

Btw i,ve tryied also to install textpattern with your plugin in the main directory and i had the same problem.

Can you describe the problem?

Have you tried talking to the webhost about getting clean URLs working. It might simply be a problem with your .htaccess file. There is a thread about .htaccess tricks for clean URLs.

Also, I’d suggest trying it out on a new sub-domain, rather than a subdirectory. Something like www.newsite.grilocapoeira.com rather than www.grilocapoeira.com/newsite. Once you were happy with the new site, you’d just have move it to www.grilocapoeira.com replacing the old one.

Last edited by net-carver (2008-07-03 13:10:54)

Steve

Board footer