Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#2041 2012-10-10 08:49:44

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

Destry wrote:

Textpattern already has a single language choice preference, why should having a preference for two or more languages be any different? Because most English speakers can’t speak more than one language?

No. It’s because most clients target just one audience language and do not need to be bothered with a user interface for multilinguality.

#2042 2012-10-10 08:59:34

Destry
Website

Yes, please get me out of the “bowels”, with projectile force.

#2043 2012-10-10 09:20:16

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote:

Yes, please get me out of the “bowels”, with projectile force.

Your wish is my command

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2044 2012-10-10 09:22:49

Destry
Website

wet wrote:

… because most clients target just one audience language and do not need to be bothered with a user interface for multilinguality.

The first part of that could be true, but I’d have to ask where your source of proof or measure is. That last part sounds like interpretation of what’s on the surface.

I think a smart question would be: Why do clients target one language? We can safely assume many local businesses do because they’re only targeting their neighborhoods, as it were. In fact any sales/service website at the local/national level might be grouped like that. But you can’t presume that’s true for educution, science, arts, or any other genre/topic that could be important information to an international audience, including bigger business, and especially in this day and age.

Another interesting inquiry would be as to what is in a client’s means. I.e, a determining factor might not be about who they want to target, but whether or not they can under constraints. Maybe they have the language abilities, but not the technical know-how. Or maybe the have the market, but not the language abilities. Or maybe they have it all but not the necessary manpower to support it. There are many possible explanations besides the single one you give that would undermine the notion they just don’t have interest in it. Translation, I’m sure you’ve heard of it, is a multi-billion industry.

I’m confident that making a tool that is easier for non-technical publishers to produce multilingual content will be a huge boon for this project. Huge! I think this is a good thing to try and do some research, surveying, and measuring on.

But like I said, if MLP makes it to just a plugin that doesn’t require special worry each upgrade, we should all be happy.

#2045 2012-10-10 12:06:25

redbot
Plugin Author

Bloke wrote:

… For those of you awating a 4.5-compatible release, please feel free to download MLP 4.5.x v01. …

What a relief! Thanks!!

#2046 2012-10-12 23:43:37

ru

hello,

there are still some things missing, which where not listet in the KNOWN_ISSUES file.

sections
the fields needed for translation are missing

categories
the fields for transaltions are missing too

links
fields for translation are missing too

translations written direct to the database are used on the page – even if they are not visible at the txp interface

maybe there are still more things missing, but this is waht i found so far.

the fields for images and files are visible!

great work!

#2047 2012-10-13 08:34:59

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

ru wrote:

there are still some things missing, which where not listet in the KNOWN_ISSUES file.

Ooops, forgot those. WIll sort them later and release a new version. Actually, I didn’t check Images either. Naughty Stef.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#2048 2012-10-13 13:55:58

els

Bloke wrote:

Ooops, forgot those. WIll sort them later and release a new version. Actually, I didn’t check Images either. Naughty Stef.

And I was supposed to test ‘everything’… Apologies!

#2049 2012-10-19 19:06:32

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

OK, please try v4.5.x-v02-20121018.

In this version:

• Added missing Section title localisation
  • Added missing Category title localisation
  • Added missing Links description localisation
  • Fixed Image alt/caption localisation for new admin markup
  • Fixed File description localisation for new admin markup
  • Added File title localisation
  • Removed some old code for previous Txp versions
  • Bumped minimum version requirements to Txp 4.5.0 and PHP 5.2 in line with the 4.5.x branch

No changes to the plugins since the last version so you can leave those alone, just upload the contents of the ‘lib’ directory and you should be good to go. Hope this is better than the first attempt *cough* — please continue to report errors / omissions / good stuff here.

#2050 2012-10-20 01:44:43

jstubbs
Website

Thanks for this Stef – wonderful that you have put in so much time on this. Just a question – for upgrading sites from 4.4x to 4.5x, is it better to upgrade TXP first or MLP? Your version of MLP appears to require 4.5.0 so I presume it is TXP first.

#2051 2012-10-20 08:31:09

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

jstubbs wrote:

for upgrading sites from 4.4x to 4.5x, is it better to upgrade TXP first or MLP? Your version of MLP appears to require 4.5.0 so I presume it is TXP first.

Yes, although you can do them at the same time, as in previous versions of MLP. But now I’ve added the automatic version checking / update feature you should be able to update them independently. I’d do it this way:

1. Disable l10n and gbp_admin_library plugins
  2. Logout
  3. Upload core files
  4. Upload MLP’s lib directory (either overwriting the core’s txplib_db.php with the one in MLP, or renaming the original txplib_db.php in case you want to revert the pack later)
  5. Login to the admin side, let Txp update itself, check diagnostics, yahde yahde
  6. Install new versions of gbp_admin_library and l10n, then enable them
  7. Visit any admin tab to have the MLP upgrade script run automatically
  8. Enjoy MLP

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Bloke (2012-10-20 18:04:13)

#2052 2012-10-20 10:32:55

jstubbs
Website

Stef, that’s an extremely helpful post. I can confirm the process works, however, one also needs to upload all the files from the 4.5.2 /textpattern/lib/ folder with the exception of txplib_db.php at step 3.

So far, so good!

Board footer