Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1921 2012-02-06 00:57:41

els

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

I said ‘hardly’ ;) So far either Steve or Graeme have updated MLP when a new Txp version required it, but both don’t seem to have the time to really maintain it (when txpforge.org is up again, have a look at the issue tracker). Will they find the time when the next Txp version is released, or will MLP users be stuck with 4.4.1 for months? If you look at this thread, I think there hasn’t been a single dev reply for maybe a year…
Mind, I’m not blaming anyone, time seems to be a generic problem ;)

So, the answer to your question should really come from Graeme and/or Steve, I guess.

Last edited by els (2012-02-06 01:00:09)

#1922 2012-02-06 01:22:02

Destry
Website

Thanks, Els!

Just so it’s clear, I’m not trying to put the screws to anyone about MLP. I’m just trying to understand if I (and the magazine) should promote multilingual functionality with Textpattern to audiences greater than this forum.

Until it’s proven otherwise, I think the answer is no.

#1923 2012-02-06 09:15:33

datorhaexa
Website

The “no” is the answer I would have not liked to hear, for various reasons, but the way things look, one may at least not give a definite answer. Better indefinite than a definite no, which is also not exactly true. I hope that those interested will seek further and get the indefinite no because many things in Textpattern are an indefinite no. Or, an indefinite yes. Part of the charme really.

#1924 2012-02-06 10:03:51

Destry
Website

datorhaexa wrote:

The “no” is the answer I would have not liked to hear, for various reasons, but the way things look, one may at least not give a definite answer. Better indefinite than a definite no, which is also not exactly true.

Well, I didn’t mean “no” as something you would literally say in a features list, for example. I meant no to the hypothetical question, does Textpattern CMS cater to multilingual publishing? Since it doesn’t, I wouldn’t mention anything at all regarding multilingual publishing in official communication, except to direct public questions about it (and you have to be honest in that case). If/when that situation changes with core, or MLP becomes something more than a hope and prayer, then we can proactively change tune in copy and promote multilingual publishing as a feature.

#1925 2012-02-06 14:34:46

els

Destry wrote:

(…) direct public questions about it (and you have to be honest in that case).

My reply to such a question would be something like this. Yes, there are various options for multilingual publishing:
  • MLP, the most sophisticated way (but, especially when used on a client’s site, keep in mind that maintenance is not guaranteed and it can ‘break’ when Txp is upgraded)
  • Robert’s poor man’s solution
  • using Txp’s conditional tags and
    • languages as sections
    • languages as categories
    • and I’m sure it can be done in other ways as well (custom fields, variables, adi_gps)

Personally I prefer MLP of course, and I’m using it on a couple of sites that I have easy access to (because I know how to rebuild these sites without MLP in case it should really break…). But as it is now I wouldn’t use it on an actual client’s site.

#1926 2012-02-06 14:52:27

Destry
Website

Mmmm… For me, no. Those are not solid responses from a business standpoint. Anyone looking at Textpattern CMS from a biz perspective wil not buy that. So for me it still stands: don’t mention it as a capability.

#1927 2012-02-06 15:01:45

els

Destry wrote:

don’t mention it as a capability.

I agree with that, sorry if it wasn’t clear. But if someone asks, then my reply would be as above.

#1928 2012-02-06 16:04:40

Destry
Website

Ah… I see what you mean, Els. Okay.

In that case it’s probably best to consider the source of the inquiry. The ‘poor man’s solution’ or ‘MLP’ but it’s ‘unsupported’ responses might be okay for the weekend webmaster/coder, but telling that to XYZ company looking for a CMS having a reliable multilingual publishing ability—and there’s a lot of them out there looking—it’s probably not good information, as it could be mistook for a bad impression on the CMS overall.

#1929 2012-02-06 16:32:11

els

Exactly.

#1930 2012-02-06 18:23:52

datorhaexa
Website

I have at least one MLP site that is quite well used by clients and has been as reliable as it gets so far (knock on wood). Just sayin’. I can see where Els is coming from on this though.

We really need more attention given to multilingualism and I’m preaching to the quire.

#1931 2012-02-08 15:12:01

planeth
Plugin Author
Website

Hi everybody,

i’m installing mlp-4.3.0.12 over an already running txp site.

Until know i’ve managed to make things run but i’ve encountered a block :
in a single article context the link generated by l10n_lang_list tag show the wrong language.
To make it clear, say the article my-site.com/en/my-section/my-interesting-article is on display, the link to the french version shows : my-site.com/en/my-section/mon-article-en-version-francaise.
The title has been changed ok but the language part of the url is not changed to “fr”.
Same the other way around (if i’m browsing the french article the link to the english one still has the fr part.

Trying to extract a useful hint from this long thread has not been successful !

#1932 2012-02-08 16:14:41

planeth
Plugin Author
Website

Never mind, i understood the problem :
in the english section there is a link directing to a french article.
This is short cutting (i guess) the normal process for setting the appropriate language.

Board footer