Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1657 2010-12-23 22:36:38

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

I hope Graeme and I can get a new 4.3 compatible version up on txpforge as a complete build (zip file) fairly soon.

We plan to synchronize the version numbers of the MLP pack with the version of Textpattern it is compatible with. So the MLP Pack will be jumping to MLPv4.3 with the next full build.

Steve

#1658 2010-12-24 10:49:47

paxrex33

Els wrote:
I don’t quite understand why you’d need to redirect visitors if all other pages are in one language only…

Well, it’s not that simple.
I have 5 languages in total.
Every page and every article will be translated in default language and english.
Only the front page will be translated to all 5 languages.

User can choose the language.
I want to redirect the user to english translation if he chosed language different than default language.

Is that possible?

#1659 2010-12-24 14:08:17

redbot
Plugin Author

net-carver wrote:

I hope Graeme and I can get a new 4.3 compatible version up on txpforge as a complete build (zip file) fairly soon.
We plan to synchronize the version numbers of the MLP pack with the version of Textpattern it is compatible with. So the MLP Pack will be jumping to MLPv4.3 with the next full build.

Thank you both so much for this, I really appreciate it!
I haven’t still upgraded some old txp 4.08 sites fearing possible issues. Now I hope I’ll have the opportunity to try it soon, thanks again

#1660 2010-12-25 00:47:04

els

paxrex33 wrote:

User can choose the language.
I want to redirect the user to english translation if he chosed language different than default language.

Is that possible?

Yes, I think so. But do you really mean to redirect the visitor or to show link(s) to the English page(s)?

Anyway, if I understand you correctly, something like this:

<txp:l10n_if_lang lang="xx"><!-- "xx" is default language -->
<txp:else />
   // send to english translation
</txp:l10n_if_lang>

#1661 2010-12-26 23:56:09

imd
Website

Anyone has seen it with 4.2.0 and 0.9.13-gp? Or did I configure something wrong with MLP?

When I first time on the site landing page the l10n_lang_list outputs incorrect links, like for instance: site_url/section/images/7.gif, instead of site_url/section/en/. When I get in by clicking one of the menu section links the language bar links are perfectly correct, as they should be.

I have also noticed same kind of behavior with zem_contact_reborn 4.0.3.20. When I try to submit form for the first time, it is fully fine, but if there are errors about input, the newly generated form has fake address in <form … action=”
site_url/section/images/7.gif#zcre4a7598bd49011c12cc7b8c953a4c30a”>.

Anyone met the problem before? Thanks in advance for your fast reply!
If the first one I can work around by checking the section name, then the second is somewhat

#1662 2010-12-27 00:01:37

els

What is that image 7.gif? Are you using some plugin or other method to display country flags instead of language names?

#1663 2010-12-27 00:29:36

imd
Website

Els wrote:

What is that image 7.gif? Are you using some plugin or other method to display country flags instead of language names?

No flags. Just output the text link with
<txp:l10n_lang_list wraptag=“span” list_class=“lang_bar” break=“span” current_class=“active” language_class=“short” link_current=“1” />

image can be any, though the fake address is always a link to image/something. Like:

<span class=“lang_bar”><span class=“ru”><a href=“http://127.0.0.1/urartu/ru/images/images/7.gif”><span dir=“ltr”>Русский</span></a></span> <span class=“en active”><a href=“http://127.0.0.1/urartu/en/images/images/7.gif”><span dir=“ltr”>English</span></a></span></span>

#1664 2010-12-27 01:43:07

els

I’ve never seen this before. Did you check the tag trace if it gives you any clues? You can post it here if you want.

#1665 2010-12-27 02:01:11

imd
Website

Els wrote:

I’ve never seen this before. Did you check the tag trace if it gives you any clues? You can post it here if you want.

A bit of mystery. I found that the cause of the problem was/is the search form in the header right after the language bar:

<txp:l10n_lang_list wraptag="span" list_class="lang_bar" break="span" current_class="active" language_class="short" link_current="1" />
<form class="siteSearch" method="get" action="http://www.google.fi/search">
  <input type="hidden" name="q" value="site:urartu.fi" />
  <input type="text" class="siteSearchText" name="q" value="##search##" onblur="if (this.value == '') {this.value = '##search##';}"  onfocus="if (this.value == '##search##') {this.value = '';}" />
  <input type="image" class="siteSearchSubmit" src="images/7.gif" value="" size="9,10" />
</form>

I have it commented now and everything looks ok, both l10n_lang_list and zem contact form work as they should. It is strange, I will have a fresh look tomorrow. The search form looks fully ok. I was about to replace it with the txp search any way.

#1666 2010-12-27 02:08:50

els

Glad you found it, but I must admit I don’t understand at all why this happened…

#1667 2010-12-28 00:11:44

paxrex33

Els wrote:

Yes, I think so. But do you really mean to redirect the visitor or to show link(s) to the English page(s)?

I’m sorry. Redirect is a little missleading term. I should be more precise.
I have a dropdown list of languages in the header and the user can change the language anytime.
When he changes the language I use onchange() javascript event to redirect user to the english translation () of the page he is currently viewing.
I am a little confused about how to write this event so that everything works.

#1668 2010-12-28 11:40:05

els

Sorry, I still don’t really get it. If your language menu is created with the l10n_lang_list tag, non-existent languages are not displayed (or not clickable), so isn’t that obvious enough for the visitor? Also, wouldn’t it be confusing for visitors if they think they are clicking a link to a – let’s say – German page, and end up with a page in English?

Edit: having said that, I don’t know how to write javascript events, but, provided I correctly understand what you need, I could try and do it with txp and plugin tags.

Last edited by els (2010-12-28 11:43:48)

Board footer