Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#433 2007-12-20 00:51:34

mlarino2

Re: [archived] Postmaster -- A simple email-on-post / newsletter manager

Hi Ben, Thanks for updating that, it explains things a little better.
But maybe I am doing something wrong, I was able to create and send HTML emails, but not in the way you are saying there.

you are using html code in the form, and then using <txp:bab_pm_data display=“body” /> to bring the data from the article you write.

When I set my form that way, all I get in my email is the HTML code as TEXT. with all the tags… etc…

What I am doing and works is, placing only this on the form:

Here is a text warning.

<txp:bab_pm_mime type=“text” />

<txp:bab_pm_data display=“excerpt” />

<txp:bab_pm_mime type=“html” />

<txp:bab_pm_data display=“body” />

———————————————————————————————
and then on the article I put all my HTML in the BODY.
and the text in the excerpt fields.

I would rather do it your way, because that way I would just have to write a new article to make the content change, and not look for the text in all the html coding.

Has someone had the same problem as I do?

#434 2007-12-21 17:19:08

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

mlarino2,

I’m not sure why it makes a difference whether the HTML is in your article body, or in the form (it shouldn’t). It sounds like your Form is not being “parsed” so it’s just reading the contents as straight text, while the article body is being parsed as usual.

Just to make sure I’m reading you correctly, if you place the following in your Form …

Here is a text warning.

<html>
<body>
<b><txp:bab_pm_data display=“body” /></b>
</body>
</html>

… and then place the following in your article Body …

bold

… you get in your email …

<b>bold</b>

… not …

bold

? But if you plcae the following in your Form …

Here is a text warning.

<txp:bab_pm_data display=“body” />

… and then place the following in your article Body …

<html>
<body>
<b>body</b>
</body>
</html>

… you get in your email …

bold

?

I’m really not sure how you could get that result vs. everyone else who’s Forms are parsing (as far as I know). Use the workaround for now — I’m working on an updated version of this plugin and once that’s done (a few weeks, hopefully) you can reinstall and see if that makes a difference.

• Ben

#435 2007-12-29 16:39:51

andreas
Website

I have a really strange problem: I just realised that ever since using the plugin, only my test subscriber received emails — no one else of the subscribers. The only difference between my test subscriber (which is not the test function of the plugin but an actual subscriber I entered) is that it was the first to be entetered. It displays alongside everyone else in the subscriber list.

I thought the plugin was working fine because I (as test subscriber) received every single posting I made whereas everyone else has never seen a single e-mail.

Any ideas?

Last edited by andreas (2008-01-04 07:27:51)

#436 2007-12-29 19:40:47

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

andreas,

First things first: Have you been through the tutorial, and having done that, can you add two new test subscribers and make sure that an email sends to all three subscribers (this is to make sure it’s working using all the defaults)? Make sure when you add the subscribers that you add “default” to their Subscriber List field.

Then I have two questions:

• Are you selecting “Yes” on the Content > Write tab when you want to mail an email (or “Test”)?
  • What list are you selecting on the Content > Write tab when you want to mail an email? Do all of your subscribers have the that list in their subscriber lists field?
  • Ben

#437 2007-12-30 10:19:01

andreas
Website

benbruce wrote:

First things first: Have you been through the tutorial,

I have. I have a working copy of Postmaster on another site and read the documentation extensively.

and having done that, can you add two new test subscribers and make sure that an email sends to all three subscribers (this is to make sure it’s working using all the defaults)? Make sure when you add the subscribers that you add “default” to their Subscriber List field.

So should I create a new list called “default”?

Are you selecting “Yes” on the Content > Write tab when you want to mail an email (or “Test”)?

I select “Yes”, see here

What list are you selecting on the Content > Write tab when you want to mail an email? Do all of your subscribers have the that list in their subscriber lists field?

I have two lists and I select them in the Write tab. See this screenshot and the subcriber list

There’s one thing I am not sure about: in the list fied, I see the name of the list, e.g. “alle-neuigkeiten” whereas in the “List” column of the subscriber list, the subscribers show the description of the list, “Alle Neuigkeiten”. This is different to what I have with the working copy of Postmaster on my other site.

But the problem remains that my test subscriber also has the description but does receive emails. (see screenshot)

Last edited by andreas (2008-01-04 07:28:53)

#438 2007-12-31 06:45:42

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

andreas,

The List Name (what you see in the dropdown on the Content > Write tab) must match exactly the Subscriber Lists field. In your example, the dropdown list on the write tab has “alle-neuigkeiten” but your Subscriber List field has “Alle Neuigkeiten.” Change the Subscriber List field to “alle-neuigkeiten.” I can’t understand with the info I have how it’s matching one but not the others, but if you can get that fixed I’m hoping the issue will be resolved.

• Ben

#439 2007-12-31 13:14:57

Vujo91
Website

Hello everyone!

This plugin is great! Nice work…

But I have BIG problem!

Everything I done, but I don’t recive any emails! :(

Script not sand any email!

I don’y know why… I was test everything… and no efect!

I was Try Test, I was try sand to all… no… no.. no emails!

Please help me!!

Can I use phpmail , or can I use SMTP??

DJ Vujo#91

#440 2007-12-31 18:09:05

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Vujo91,

Postmaster uses PHP’s mail() function, so there shouldn’t be any issue there (vs. using phpmail or SMTP, with regards to the mail being sent). If you need to use SMTP, use a different mailer (1).

So to be clear: you followed the tutorial exactly, but when you sent a Test mail you didn’t receive anything?

1 I do hope to be able to swap in different mailing engines in time.

Last edited by benbruce (2007-12-31 18:10:52)

#441 2008-01-02 11:20:28

andreas
Website

The List Name (what you see in the dropdown on the Content > Write tab) must match exactly the Subscriber Lists field. In your example, the dropdown list on the write tab has “alle-neuigkeiten” but your Subscriber List field has “Alle Neuigkeiten.” Change the Subscriber List field to “alle-neuigkeiten.”

Ben, I’d prefer to change the list name to “Alle Neuigkeiten” rather than changing the list-name entry in every subscriber’s DB record. Are list names with two separate words ok?

I can only test this in a couple of days, I’ll report back.

#442 2008-01-02 17:41:08

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

andreas,

It should be okay (just changing the list name) but I’m interested to hear your results using a list name with spaces.

– Ben

#443 2008-01-04 07:18:17

andreas
Website

Ben, it seems to have worked: I contacted about 5 recipients and three of them have written back that they received the newsletter, the others have not given any feedback yet but as I picked those five at random, I suppose that this time the newsletter was sent alright.

Another two things (see screenshot below):

1. the newsletter shows three lines of technical “introduction” and
  2. doesn’t display special characters correctly (umlauts etc.).

Do you have an idea about the first issue?

Could the second be due to the UTF-8 encoding not being understood by the recipients client? Can I send the newsletter in a different encoding from that of the site?

Thanks for your continued support!

Last edited by andreas (2008-01-04 07:20:47)

#444 2008-01-04 13:46:04

maniqui
Website

Hi Andreas,

about the first point: this could be helpful: HeaderinformationinGmailemails

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer