Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-11-09 19:19:22

maniqui
Website

Re: [archived] Postmaster -- A simple email-on-post / newsletter manager

Hi benbruce.

Thanks for this plug-in. I havent tried (not even installed) it yet.

A question: wich is the best way to “upgrade” from the NM to the Postmaster plug-in and keep things clean (database, etc)?

Thanks in advance.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#14 2006-11-09 23:33:25

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

maniqui,

How many subscribers are you talking about? 50? 500?

Thanks,

– Ben

#15 2006-11-10 00:15:15

maniqui
Website

No, less than 50.

But that’s not the “problem”. I will just copy them to a notepad and then add them again.

My question is more related to the process of upgrading/installing the new plug-in and removing/disabling the old one, and at the same time, keep the database (and everything) clean, and avoid any mess in the installation (“problems” between both plug-ins).

Thanks Ben

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#16 2006-11-10 01:11:05

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

maniqui,

as far as installing the new plugin, you should be able to go ahead and do that without interfering at all with the old one, or having the old one interfere with the new one. As for cleaning up, I’ll doublecheck myself, but once you’ve gotten all the data you want out of the old subscriber table, you will:

1) drop the “txp_subscribers” and the “nl_prefs” tables (they may have prefixes on them, if your DB adds them) using Database Manager plugin or some other mysql DB frontend

2) delete the plugin on your admin tab

– Ben

PS. I added a little script to the next version of PM that will move your subscribers over for you.

Last edited by benbruce (2006-11-10 21:20:02)

#17 2006-11-10 22:08:16

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Hi,

Here’s v.0.2: http://www.benbruce.com/txp/Postmaster_v4.0.4.0.2.php

Thanks,

– Ben

________
UPDATES:

v0.2 — 11/10/2006

• added HTML emails option [added a new custom tag to enter mime boundaries]
  • added a new custom tag to display the unsubscribe link [users can build their own unsubscribe line into their forms], with an option to display a text or an HTML version
  • added a small script to help NM or EOP users move their subscriber lists over to PM

PS. I’m really hoping for some feedback — this is quite a large project, and I’d love to tighten it up if there are any inconsistencies or problems.

Last edited by benbruce (2006-11-10 22:12:58)

#18 2006-11-11 18:33:36

mrdale
Website

Fantastic!

Trying now…

#19 2006-11-12 07:32:13

TNT
Website

I just know this is a stupid question, but can I use this to send an e-mail to subscribers just to let them know the site has been updated? So without the complete article?

Prrrrrrrr

#20 2006-11-12 15:43:24

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

TNT,

The email that you send can contain whatever you want — it can contain nearly any part of an article, or it could just be plain boilerplate text (“Hi. The site has been updated.”). It depends on how you set up your form. Let me know if you need more info.

– Ben

#21 2006-11-12 21:26:12

TNT
Website

Thanx, Ben. That was all I needed to know!

Of course, when I need more info, I won’t hesitate. Thanx again!

Prrrrrrrr

#22 2006-11-13 23:37:27

joebaich
Website

Dear Ben,

I have played with this plug-in in between times over a couple of days and found it to be a truly excellent piece of work. I also evaluated PHPList for a task in hand involving a TXP based site that requires a mailing list manager to service a list that will likely amount to no more than 200 subscribers who will receive one, perhaps two mailings a month. PHPList is too much and beyond the capability of the site’s owner to operate. Post Master is close to ideal, it seems. However, there is an unequivocal requirement for each mailing to deliver a pdf document as an attachment to the subscribers. I wonder, is there a way to attach a file, uploaded to the site by via the TXP interface, to a mailing using this plug in? If there were, it would meet all the requirements.

Kind regards

Joe Hastings

#23 2006-11-14 04:01:39

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

joebaich,

Unfortunately, you can’t currently send mails with an attachment. It’s an interesting idea, though.

You said the .pdf must be in an attachment, but just in case here’s an idea which I think (haven’t tested) would display a link to a .pdf automatically generated by this plugin. So you would mail your subscribers, a link would be in the email, and clicking that link would open the .pdf (basically the same as an attachment, except that the email is smaller).

Let me know if that works,

– Ben

Last edited by benbruce (2006-11-14 04:02:31)

#24 2006-11-14 11:52:40

fineartdavid
Website

joebaich,

It might be worth explaining to the person you are building the site for that many people prefer not to receive attachments in their email. From a usability point of view it might be a better option to link to the (clearly marked) PDF anyway. Otherwise I can imagine people on dial-up unsubscribing by droves. It will also save them a lot of bandwith on the mailout too, so there is clearly a business case for sending a link instead.

Board footer