Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#169 2007-03-05 16:12:29

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [archived] Postmaster -- A simple email-on-post / newsletter manager

decoder,

I think I was being to “jargon-y” — let me re-explain the “moderate” comment above. You wouldn’t have to make any changes to code, you’d simply install Postmaster (and the Library) and get it set up. When people signed up for an e-card (using a ZCR form), the admin receives an email — this email would alert the admin that an e-card has been requested. Then they manually go into their TXP admin and send the email using Postmaster (and a custom form they’ve set up) to the e-card requester. This is not an automatic process, so that’s why I called it a bit of a hack, and to make it seem like a better solution than it is, I use the term “moderate” — which is actually a fair concern with this type of thing.

One other thought — you could ask folks whether they wanted to receive the HTML or text version of the email (in the ZCR form you set up).

• Ben

#170 2007-03-05 22:46:44

ciss

I believe the reason for duchamp’s problem is a blocked popup. i myself had problems in getting postmaster to send out mails (no error notice anywhere), until i noticed that small popup block notice (opera browser). as soon as i let the popup open, the mail was sent.

Last edited by ciss (2007-03-05 22:49:40)

#171 2007-03-06 09:59:41

decoderltd
Website

Thanks again Ben,

I have to admit that when it comes to the nuts and bolts of plug-ins I’m pretty lost! I think your suggestion to moderate (good word, covers lots of bases!) the process might get me through this particular requirement, as it will only run for a week or two – for future requests where there’s an indefinate timescale I’ll need to find an automated route.

#172 2007-03-06 22:44:23

producemedia

Just wanted to report that after a wee bit of messing around getting the data fields to match I have just successfully bulk imported 3608 subscribers.
I have yet to send out to this list but will let ya’ll know how it goes when I do.

#173 2007-03-09 06:07:01

frodriguez
Website

Not sure if this has been addressed yet or anyone has come accross this issue using this plugin.
But on my test box I run PHP 5.0 and MySQL 5.

If you are getting the following error or something similar

Warning: Out of range value adjusted for column ‘subscriberID’ at row 1 INSERT INTO bab_pm_subscribers values (…) in (…) txplib_db.php on line 84

• Note the dots (…) were put in to block my site specific information but insert values and the path to txplib_db.php would normally be outputted

The way to correct this would be to find the query shown below under these following comments

// ---- if the "add subscriber" button has been clicked ----------------------
$strSQL = safe_query("INSERT INTO $bab_pm_SubscribersTable values ('','$addNewSubscriberArray[0]','$addNewSubscriberArray[1]','$addNewSubscriberArray[2]','$addNewSubscriberArray[3]','$addNewSubscriberArray[4]','$addNewSubscriberArray[5]','$addNewSubscriberArray[6]','$addNewSubscriberArray[7]','$addNewSubscriberArray[8]','$addNewSubscriberArray[9]','$addNewSubscriberArray[10]','$addNewSubscriberArray[11]','$addNewSubscriberArray[12]','','','$md5')");

Change the query to

$strSQL = safe_query("INSERT INTO $bab_pm_SubscribersTable values (NULL,'$addNewSubscriberArray[0]','$addNewSubscriberArray[1]','$addNewSubscriberArray[2]','$addNewSubscriberArray[3]','$addNewSubscriberArray[4]','$addNewSubscriberArray[5]','$addNewSubscriberArray[6]','$addNewSubscriberArray[7]','$addNewSubscriberArray[8]','$addNewSubscriberArray[9]','$addNewSubscriberArray[10]','$addNewSubscriberArray[11]','$addNewSubscriberArray[12]','','','$md5')");

Not sure if this is a bug per say, but more of a compatability issue with MySQL 5 which doesn’t like being passed an empty string when it is expecting an integer type value. Just something I thought I would pass along as an F.Y.I. This may affect other functions as well, but I just installed this plug-in and this was the first thing I found.

#174 2007-03-09 07:27:03

frodriguez
Website

Looking at the rest of the code this would pretty much apply to any call made to the
safe_query() function that is performing a database INSERT where the first column is an auto_increment field and the value being passed is ‘’ (an empty string)

Maybe someone else can confirm.

#175 2007-03-09 19:21:59

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

producemedia, that’s great news. Please keep us posted here on the thread. mrdale’s suggestion to use a more common CSV might have helped you here …

frodriguez, I can’t see your replacement query in the forum. Could you paste it again? or send me email at txpplugins@benbruce.com. I’ll revise the code for the next version (no date set). Also, quick question … the change you are proposing will not effect earlier versions of MYSQL? Or, if it’s going to, can you please include the full fix so that nothing breaks?

• Ben

#176 2007-03-09 21:37:12

frodriguez
Website

Ben I will email you the sample I posted here, it only affects INSERT queries where the first column is an auto_increment column.
Also MySQL 5 versions and above is what made this a strict requirement, the older versions would let it slide, so these query modifications should work on MySQL versions 3.22 and greater. Of course testing would have to be done to be for certain, but that is my understanding.

Last edited by frodriguez (2007-03-09 21:38:47)

#177 2007-03-10 23:54:59

bancroft

Hi Ben,

Thank you for a fantastic plugin. The only problem I’ve had is this appearing above the message:

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=“UTF-8”

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Only seems to be in Gmail and I’m sending messages as plain text.

Anyone else get this?

Cheers,

Graham.

#178 2007-03-13 03:13:46

ss

Thank you for this plugin.

I have tried searching for this info, but is there any way to set it up so that people can subscribe to more than one list? Could I use checkboxes?

#179 2007-03-13 04:32:01

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

ss,

You can’t do this right now, without some extra tweaking. But it’s certainly possible (and useful). You’d have to “build” the variable for the list field out of your users selections, and then send that with the form … I’m going to add this to the feature requests page in the postmanual.

• Ben

#180 2007-03-13 04:41:39

ss

benbruce wrote:

You’d have to “build” the variable for the list field out of your users selections, and then send that with the form

i have no clue what you mean, or how to do that so i better just wait for a feature update ;)

the thing is even if i have multiple forms for the different lists, people would have to use a different email address to subscribe to each one, right?

Board footer