Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#109 2007-01-15 22:40:35

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [archived] Postmaster -- A simple email-on-post / newsletter manager

Saj,

Plugged your form into my test site and checked it against what I had there; here’s what I come up with:

<txp:zem_contact to="x" subject="Unsubscription from Newsletter">
<txp:zem_contact_email name="zemSubscriberEmail" label="Your Email:" />
<txp:zem_contact_checkbox name="zemUnSubscribe" label="Unsubscribe:" required="yes" />
<txp:zem_contact_submit />
</txp:zem_contact>

Not sure of the exact reason why your original form wouldn’t work with PM 0.3. Try the above — you can tweak it to be more like your original — and let me know if that works (the subscribers are being deleted from my test site).

• Ben

Last edited by benbruce (2007-01-15 22:45:02)

#110 2007-01-15 22:46:48

snkhan
Website

Hey Ben,

Don’t worry, take yer’ time – the entire site is still in development. I agree with Zanza’s comment about checking the validity of an existing subscription. I’ll have a look at the code and see if it is something I can (try) and figure out myself for a change!

Zanza: I amended the ZCR code to output ‘Your request has been sucessfully completed’ – this message will then make sense for both subscriptions and unsubscriptions. Hope this helps!

#111 2007-01-15 22:58:31

snkhan
Website

Hey Ben,

My amended form:

<txp:zem_contact to="Email" label="" copysender="no" from="Sender" subject="Unsubscription Notice">
<txp:zem_contact_email name="zemSubscriberEmail" label="Email Address" required="yes" break="" /><br />
<label for="zemSubmit">Unsubscribe</label>
<txp:zem_contact_submit label="Send" />
</txp:zem_contact>

The thank you message appears, but still no luck with the unsubscription :-(

Edit Using your unsubscription form works, so I guess the checkbox plays a crucial part of the unsubscription request?

Saj

Last edited by snkhan (2007-01-15 23:03:09)

#112 2007-01-15 23:00:03

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

Thank you, Ben and Saj.

I suppose there’s nothing to do about having a customized “welcome” message sent in the confirmation email, instead of all the data about name, email, custom fields? Is it customizable at all?

Also, it would be nice a double opt-out option for unsubscribers, but I suppose this is a limitation due to ZCR, or is it?

Thank you.

Z-

#113 2007-01-15 23:11:20

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Zanza, I’m copying and pasting from my reply above:

copysender – Using copysender=“yes” will send a copy of the email to the sender’s address as well as the “to” address that you have set in the tag or “to_form”. In order to not show the your “to” address on the sender’s copy it is transferred to the “Bcc” field and the sender’s address becomes the “to” address. This means that as both copies are identical your “to” address will not be shown on your copy either. Default is “no”. Optional.
form – The name of your form template containing the field layout. Optional.

Write what you want to appear in the “you’ve subscribed” email in the “form,” then use the copysender=“yes” attribute to make ZCR send the email when someone subscribes.

thanks – Your thank you message. Optional.
thanks_form – The name of your form template containing a thank you message. Optional.

Use the “thanks” attribute to create your “subscription successful” message.

Both of these are features of ZCR, not Postmaster, so you’ll have to check through the ZCR help section and forum thread for more on this.

As for the double opt-in; that would require an update to Postmaster. We can add that to the list of feature requests [currently in my head; I’ll add an article to the Postmanual.

• Ben

Last edited by benbruce (2007-01-15 23:16:58)

#114 2007-01-15 23:11:32

snkhan
Website

Zanza wrote:

I suppose there’s nothing to do about having a customized “welcome” message sent in the confirmation email, instead of all the data about name, email, custom fields? Is it customizable at all? Also, it would be nice a double opt-out option for unsubscribers, but I suppose this is a limitation due to ZCR, or is it?

I would be more inclined to request a opt-in subscribe email then a unsubscribe email, although I happy the way PM is at the moment :-)

Ben
Regarding the Firefox issue (multiple refresh error) perhaps it would make sense to make a note of the environment/plugins users have installed on their systems?

In addition your unsubscription form works, I suspect it is because of the checkbox, which my form lacks. Is there a way to bypass the unsubscription checkbox?

Me first:

• Windows XP Home Service Pack 2
  • Firefox 2.0.0.1
  • Plugins: Adblock 0.5.3.043, Firebug 1.0b8, Web Developer 1.0.2
  • Javascript enabled
  • Block pop ups enabled.

Last edited by snkhan (2007-01-15 23:14:52)

#115 2007-01-15 23:17:03

RussLipton

Mac OSX 10.4.8
Firefox 2.0.0.1
Plugins: Adblock, Firebug
Javascript enabled
Block pop ups enabled

Safari 2.0.4
Plugins: Flip4Mac Windows Media 2.1
Javascript enabled
Block pop ups enabled

Last edited by RussLipton (2007-01-15 23:22:26)

#116 2007-01-15 23:38:35

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

benbruce wrote:

Zanza, I’m copying and pasting from my reply above:

(cut)

Ben, thank you, but here I am asking for a different thing: maybe I can’t explain myself, or I don’t understand.

I now understand how to send a mail to the subscriber. I wonder if in the body of the email could appar a custom message, not the subscriber data overview that are actually sent.

As long I can understand, you’re answer is not about that.

About double opt-in or out, well, just asking about future possibility…

Thank you anyway.

Z-

#117 2007-01-15 23:56:27

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Zanza,

I think that I do understand you. Let me lay out what I’m talking about a little better, and maybe that will help.

You are asking me about when someone comes to your website and subscribes through the form and ZCR sends them an email (because you’ve set copysender="yes"), how the email is just a list of the information that the user just entered. Am I right about what you’re asking?

If I’m right, then you are able to customize that email, using ZCR attributes.

• Create a form called “new_subscriber_email_message” that says “Welcome to the newsletter”
  • create a form called “thanks_for_subscribing_message” that says, “Thanks for subscribing”

Now plug all of those forms [you can change the name and content of the forms to your liking] into a <txp:zem_contact /> form like this:

<txp:zem_contact copysender="yes" form="new_subcriber_email_message" thanks_form="thanks_for_subscribing_message" />

Does that do what you’re hoping?

As for the double opt-in — I’ve added it to the new Features Request article in the Postmanual.

• Ben

Saj, good idea. I’ll be posting mine, too.

Last edited by benbruce (2007-01-15 23:59:27)

#118 2007-01-16 00:13:36

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

benbruce wrote:

Zanza, I think that I do understand you. Let me lay out what I’m talking about a little better, and maybe that will help.

You’re totally right. My fault. I was overlooking a line in your previous response, again and again. It’s like math: when you do mistakes and read again, you can’t find the mistake, because you only “read” what’s in your mind… at least, that’s what I did in primary school… and in txp forum!

Apologize. It’s late night here in Italy… I’m going to bed now…

Z-

Last edited by Zanza (2007-01-16 00:14:21)

#119 2007-01-16 00:29:22

snkhan
Website

Hey Ben, I’m trying to bypass the need for the checkbox by placing its contents in a hidden field like this:

<input type="hidden" name="zemUnSubscribe" value="true" />

I have also tried using

<input type="hidden" name="zemUnSubscribe" value="checked" />
<input type="hidden" name="zemUnSubscribe" value="1" />

however the unsubscribe request does not work. Anyone know which value to use (or if there is a way of bypassing the need of having the checkbox in the first instance?)

#120 2007-01-16 00:50:12

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Saj,

Try setting it to “on” in the hidden input. Or, in any case, the value you want is “on”.

Let me know if that works — this is all material that should be in the Help once we’ve worked out all the kinks.

Last edited by benbruce (2007-01-16 00:52:13)

Board footer