Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-10-29 16:49:09

Ace of Dubs

Re: My TXP Soapbox

This thread can go in as many directions as you guys want. It’s just a random wish list that we can discuss and add to the wiki once we agree on certain features. Go completely bonkers!

@ Destry, thanks for the link.. uploading new pics now

#14 2006-10-29 20:01:49

merz1
Website

Regarding authors (and article staging): An XML-RPC version which supports all article fields is urgently needed.

If the TXP XML-RPC would be boosted to support all fields then an external article editor like the Firefox extension Performancing for Firefox could be adopted. Or every other blog editor …

Regarding system architecture: I think I was reading this before somewhere but what about adding modules which will independently extend core functions? Today we have plugins and core functions. A module would be an independent application exchanging information via a TXP core module interface or via a plugin.

Article image with link: Article image should have link and alt-text property. Or it should be possible to have a ‘free’ article image field which allows to store a complete HTML set (anchor + image tag).

Last edited by merz1 (2006-10-29 20:14:58)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#15 2006-10-29 21:41:15

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Article image with link: Article image should have link and alt-text property. Or it should be possible to have a ‘free’ article image field which allows to store a complete HTML set (anchor + image tag).

Just as a side note, this is pretty easy with a custom field for the link and light php (about 3 short lines) .

Last edited by jm (2006-10-29 21:42:18)

#16 2006-10-30 16:32:49

rtxpn
Website

Destry wrote:

If nothing else, Ace, it was an enjoyable read. ;)

I agree! :D

#17 2006-10-31 13:57:06

Ace of Dubs

Thx rtxp :)

@ jakob, That’s one sweet-looking admin you got there. I just may borrow some of the feel for crockery admin… Nice job!

#18 2006-10-31 17:24:08

jdykast
Website

I’d have to agree about Jakob’s admin screenshot. I honestly breathed a sigh of relief when I saw it. Clean, clean, clean. Personally, I’ve kind of bought into the way the guys at 37signals design their apps. The Backpack interface is, in my opinion, well executed. If the Textpattern interface took some styling and usability hints from there you’d never hear me complain. Well done Jakob—I dig it.

#19 2006-11-01 03:12:50

Ace of Dubs

Its funny u mention that jdykast.. I am working on a Backpack clone in TXP as we speak for a company’s intranet. Still getting my head around all this javascript, but so far its lookin pretty neat. I will post some screenies soon

#20 2006-11-01 03:58:10

NeilA
Website

Ace,

You have to ‘show and tell’ if you get Backpack-style functionality working with TXP!
That would be a killer application… :)

Neil – Blue Mountains, Australia

http://westserve.org
http://ministrygrounds.net.au

#21 2006-11-01 08:16:25

jakob
Admin
Website

Glad you like it :-)

The best thing would be if the code was flexible enough to allow people to have their own way of having the admin, then have one (or a few standard) setup(s) bundled so that txp remains recognizable.

Really, I added that and the other two admin examples to the flickr pool to show that one code base could serve different CSS solutions, either pure CSS as above, sliding doors (i.e. image-based tabs using one image file: screenshot), or sliding doors+mountain-tops (i.e. image-based tab-cutouts also using one image file: screenshot).*

A while back I tried to get rounded tab corners working without images at all, i.e. via jquery with the colour-css separated out so you could just edit the colours and have txp as you like. For some reason it would not work consistently and I had no time to pursue it further. Using moz’s own proprietary rounded-corner css worked but to be cross-browser you need another solution (e.g. jquery rounded corners)

*aside: why is it that as a non-flickr member you can see the individual screenshots linked above but not the whole txp admin redesign image pool on flickr?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#22 2006-11-14 21:25:58

Ace of Dubs

Yet another wish:

TXP could really use multi blog management from one install. This would solve the problem of custom field limitations. I find myself installing various instances of TXP due to this and other shortcomings.

#23 2006-11-15 00:04:31

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Multi Blog capabilities is the #1 asked for feature by users on any forum you happen to come across.

The last system I used, Nucleus CMS, came real close, you created a Blog and then assigned team members to it, those team members only had access to that Blog with it’s associated categories and images. The one thing that it lacked was that templating or plugins were not team based, so you were at the mercy of what the admin had installed.

Wordpress has MU but it’s still a bit beta at this point, I can’t think of any other system doing this. Seems like a no-brainer from a programming point of view, I just don’t understand why no dev team has undertaken the task.

Most users aren’t trying or wanting to create a MySpace, they just want to invite some friends or family over to their site and give them their own space. I don’t want to give someone untrained the whole admin area and access to all my articles, but I’ll let them enter some articles and upload some images in their own space.

Last edited by hcgtv (2006-11-15 00:11:32)

#24 2006-11-15 11:07:47

Algaris

I have to agree about the multi blog / site capabilities, it would be very useful. On my current setup I have three instances of textpattern running (one of which I will be allowing article submissions from designated people), which equates to three sets of plug-ins, mySQL databases and configuration settings. I’m just glad my host doesn’t limit me to only one or two databases or this would be a bigger issue for me.

Board footer