Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-08-23 21:49:50

Seeker_After_Wisdom

[request] Vanilla forum integration

Perhaps this is the wrong subforum (?) but it would be wonderful if Vanilla was integrated into Txp, either to core (as Textpattern’s default, recommended forum) or as a plugin. At worst, if Vanilla’s development ceased, it’s open source anyway. Perhaps Textpattern could borrow/adopt Vanilla’s authentication and registration structure as its own.

See this post by Vanilla’s creator on his integration of Vanilla with Wordpress.

#2 2006-08-23 22:14:15

Walker
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [request] Vanilla forum integration

This would never be attached to core, but you could put up a ransom on an extension or plugin over here.

#3 2006-08-23 23:33:53

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

This would never be attached to core…

(Emphasis mine.)

Indeed. Moved to plugin requests forum.

#4 2006-08-24 23:07:37

daveh
Website

Seeker_After_Wisdom wrote:

Perhaps this is the wrong subforum (?) but it would be wonderful if Vanilla was integrated into Txp, either to core (as Textpattern’s default, recommended forum) or as a plugin. At worst, if Vanilla’s development ceased, it’s open source anyway. Perhaps Textpattern could borrow/adopt Vanilla’s authentication and registration structure as its own.

I have just finished integrating Vanilla into my TXP site. It’s done entirely through plugins (note the plural). Unfortunately I’m going to be away for 3 weeks now so don’t have time to write it up.

To wet your appetite though (and so you can see if what I wanted also applies to your needs)…
  • TXP and Vanilla were installed into separate folders.
  • I created a ddh_password_protect plugin based on ign’s one.
  • I modified mem_self_register plugin.
  • I created a ddh_vanilla_integration plugin.
Tying all these together I can now…
  • Login to TXP and link into Vanilla without a second login.
  • Logout of TXP (which logs out of Vanilla too).
  • Change my password in TXP (which updates Vanilla to maintain consistency).
  • Self-register in TXP and have the new account mirrored into Vanilla automatically.

Is that the sort of thing you were looking for? (I did not follow the route that Mark described in his integrating Vanilla with Wordpress article. My tables and fields are kept totally separate – I thought this would make it easier later when updates were applied to either package.)

—————
Dave-H

#5 2006-08-24 23:29:32

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Dave,

I’d be very interested to see your plugins, I plan on doing something similar with PunBB.

If you don’t mind me piggy backing on your work, I could get a head start by looking over what you’ve done.

Thanks.

#6 2006-08-24 23:55:27

daveh
Website

Hey Bert, I’m heading your way for the next 3 weeks :-) I’m going to be hiking the Appalachian Trail through GA into NC to Nantahala Outdoor Center.

I’ll bring the plugins with me ;-)

Last edited by daveh (2006-08-25 00:05:37)

—————
Dave-H

#7 2006-08-25 00:18:32

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

That’s cool, the weather is great now. Summer was a bit hot but Fall is starting to roll in with better temps.

I bike on the McAlpine Greenway, it’s only a block from my house, I’m having a great time in NC :)

Sorry for being off topic.

#8 2006-08-25 05:17:22

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Guys,

Just a plug for this project that hasn’t had many takers — with a few plugins (again, notice the plural), some simple bits I had to make, plus ign_password_protect and mem_self_register — I’ve built a pretty neat little forum using TXP.

The basis is each post = article, each reply = comment.

Check out the test forum here and the thread here.

There are some very cool features for such a light forum (read: mostly re-using code you’ve already got on your server!) such as friendly urls, easy search, total integration with your TXP site and all that.

Needs some work though — especially design.

– Ben

Last edited by benbruce (2006-08-25 05:17:39)

#9 2006-08-25 05:41:44

Seeker_After_Wisdom

daveh: Yes, exactly. Will look forward to testing and using your plugin.

#10 2006-08-25 12:24:53

daveh
Website

benbruce wrote:

Just a plug for this project that hasn’t had many takers — with a few plugins (again, notice the plural), some simple bits I had to make, plus ign_password_protect and mem_self_register — I’ve built a pretty neat little forum using TXP.

Ben, Hi. Yes, I’m already registered on your forum and checked it out a little while back and have great hopes for it. Unfortunately I needed something running now and couldn’t wait for yours to come out of beta, sorry.

I keep an eye on it from time to time, so keep up the good work!

#edit: Ah, oops, just saw your reply to my post on your forum – I’ll read the thread :-)

Last edited by daveh (2006-08-25 12:34:16)

—————
Dave-H

#11 2006-09-19 15:20:20

RussLipton

daveh wrote:

I have just finished integrating Vanilla into my TXP site. It’s done entirely through plugins (note the plural). Unfortunately I’m going to be away for 3 weeks now so don’t have time to write it up.

daveh:

Are you back yet? Any ETA on writing up this awesome solution?

#12 2006-09-19 20:04:56

daveh
Website

OK, it’s not pretty yet, but you can find details of how I integrated the two <a href=“http://www.hikerbox.net/harpanet/Textpattern_Vanilla_Integration.htm”>here</a>.

Let me know how you get on and if I’ve left anything out or something needs clarifying.

Last edited by daveh (2006-09-22 21:52:37)

—————
Dave-H

Board footer