Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#109 2008-06-20 11:16:45

uli

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_auto_excerpt

Is the code example the original copied & pasted code? There are wrong apostrophes around the values of skiplength, overrideexcerpt, and striptags.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#110 2008-06-20 14:30:03

els

I understand that you have the book info (publishing date etcetera) inside the article body. Wouldn’t it be simpler to put that in the excerpt field if you’re not using that for something else? Then you’ll just have to add <txp:excerpt /> to your individual article form, and you don’t need the skipwhatever attribute in the plugin tag.
Another way to do it (if you can’t use the excerpt field): make the book info a separate first paragraph in the article body, and use words="65" skipparagraph="1". (But you probably already tried that and the problem lies like Uli said in using the wrong quotes.)

Last edited by els (2008-06-20 14:32:04)

#111 2008-06-20 15:15:09

uli

Completely agree to any improvement. Then again, this is a live site with several hundreds of entries online and to be edited. Too much, I think.
I’ve also thought about custom fields for book info, as I wouldn’t leave to authors to be too precise (skiplength="500" or words="65"). But then it had to be checked for whether this is a new or an old article (i.e. pre-/post-change) by some if_custom_field tags.
Hmm, the more I think about it, the more likely it appears to be, that the custom field variant might even be easier to implement, regarding the changes it’d need to check for whether it’s an old or a new kind of excerpt. What do you think, Els?

Edit: Wild guess, we’d need some info on the actual use of the excerpt field.

Last edited by uli (2008-06-20 15:24:28)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#112 2008-06-20 18:15:45

els

uli wrote:

Hmm, the more I think about it, the more likely it appears to be, that the custom field variant might even be easier to implement, regarding the changes it’d need to check for whether it’s an old or a new kind of excerpt.

I definitely agree. Custom fields are perfect for the book info, and if it’s too much work to change the existing articles, if_custom_field can provide the right tags for both old and new articles.
If the book info is going to remain inside the body, I think skipparagraphs is a safer way to go than skiplength.

<txp:if_article_list>
   <h3><txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink></h3>
   <txp:if_custom_field name="published"><!-- it will be empty if it's an existing review -->
      <txp:rss_auto_excerpt words="65" overrideexcerpt="1" linktext="Read more" ending="..." striptags="1" />
   <txp:else />
      <txp:rss_auto_excerpt words="65" skipparagraphs="2" overrideexcerpt="1" linktext="Read more" ending="..." striptags="1" />
   </txp:if_custom_field>
</txp:if_article_list>

BattleGoddess

You’d better step in soon or Uli and I will have rebuilt your site before you know it ;)

Last edited by els (2008-06-20 18:17:54)

#113 2008-06-20 19:34:46

BattleGoddess

uli,

Thanks for noticing the “” quote problem, though I fixed it, it didn’t solve the problem.

However, Els, your idea of placing the book info in the excerpt area, then placing the an <txp:excerpt /> tag in the article form, worked like a charm.

Els wrote:

I understand that you have the book info (publishing date etcetera) inside the article body. Wouldn’t it be simpler to put that in the excerpt field if you’re not using that for something else? Then you’ll just have to add <txp:excerpt /> to your individual article form, and you don’t need the skipwhatever attribute in the plugin tag.

Hey, I just noticed you guys mentioned other solutions, such as using a custom field. I will deffinitely look into this other method.

Thank you so much for all your help, I greatly apprecate it.

I’ve been building websites for ten years and am fluent in HTML, Flash and CSS. I must say that Textpattern is an excellent way of building a website and has a very solid support community. (However, I do need to brush up on my XHTML and PHP! LOL)

#114 2008-06-20 22:20:44

uli

Els wrote:

You’d better step in soon or Uli and I will have rebuilt your site before you know it ;)

Yeah, there was piracy in the air ;) I can see our logo right before me: A squared eyed skull with crossed band-aid strips underneath ;))

#115 2008-06-21 04:03:59

paulyoung

This plugin is causing my page to be invalid because:

<p> <txp:rss_auto_excerpt excerpt="body" length="280" linktext="0" overrideexcerpt="1" striptags=“1” stripbreakstabs=“1” wraptag=""/> </p>

outputs

<p> This is text from the article body <p /> </p>

and

<txp:rss_auto_excerpt excerpt="body" length="280" linktext="0" overrideexcerpt="1" striptags=“1” stripbreakstabs=“1” wraptag="p"/>

outputs

This is text from the article body <p />

I’ve also tried adding wraptag="" to the first example.

Please help.

Last edited by paulyoung (2008-06-21 04:05:24)

#116 2008-06-21 06:34:16

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

i see curly quotes in some of your attributes. try getting rid of those first.

also paragraph tags might just be coming from textile.

Last edited by iblastoff (2008-06-21 06:37:04)

#117 2008-06-21 13:45:22

paulyoung

I have removed the curly quotes and it’s still happening.

I thought striptags="1" would remove any textile tags also but obviously not.

feragnoli wrote:

I can’t manage to wrap the excerpt in a <span> rather than in <p>.
when I set excerptwraptag="span" he just spits: <span><p> . . . . . </p></span> .

jakob wrote
bq. If you want striptags="1" to also strip tags from real excerpts, add the line marked below to the plug-in code just after the if there’s a real excerpt use it bit (around line 34):

// if the article has an excerpt, show it
		if ($excerpt != '' && !$overrideexcerpt) {
// add this line here:
			$excerpt = ($striptags) ? strip_tags($excerpt) : $excerpt;

This way your authors don’t need to remember to add a space or to switch off textile for the excerpts.

Can I do something like this?:

$body = ($striptags) ? strip_tags($body) : $body;

Last edited by paulyoung (2008-06-21 13:52:34)

#118 2008-06-21 13:47:06

paulyoung

Actually, it appears that this line is already part of the plugin.

#119 2008-06-21 14:18:54

uli

paulyoung wrote:

I have removed the curly quotes and it’s still happening.

Have you thought of any kind of caching (local, asy_jpcache etc.)?

#120 2008-06-21 14:37:13

paulyoung

Don’t know what you mean, could you explain?

Board footer