Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2006-08-12 11:55:14

Destry
Website

Re: [contrib] Textpattern Planet

hgctv wrote: Edit: Tried Destry’s site feed (wion.com) and I can’t get to it, it’s hosted on Textdrive :(

For what it’s worth, I’m using Adrew’s clean feed plugin, which itself works fine, but I’ve noticed that my feeds are on- and off-line from time to time, I never really know why.

On a diff note:

Looking at what appears to be the latest version of an RSS extension for MediaWiki, NIffler/RSS, I think I’m seeing this as something that allows a wiki owner to pull feeds into the wiki, much like what Bert is doing with TxPlanet. Am I wrong? (So in affect it won’t help me with my large file problem, but opens a different window of opportunity.)

What this would suggest is that the wiki — or rather a particular place in the wiki, like the built-in Community Portal page — could in fact be used as the platform for what TxPlanet is aiming for. Am I wrong again? By no means am I trying to derail the efforts here so far, but it looks like by using…

…then a page in the wiki can serve exactly as an external feeds pool.

We can investigate it further if you continue to have complications. It would at least eliminate the TxB feeds problem of size. I’ll ask hakjoon to help me at least play with it to see if it’s even feasible. If we ever went this way, Bert, we could add you as a new wiki admin and you could manage the feeds portal. As a heads-up, we are looking to put the wiki under subversion too (it’s in the works), which is aimed at safeguarding our custom mods, like this would be. Just a thought.

Last edited by Destry (2006-08-12 12:00:47)

#26 2006-08-12 17:12:28

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Like I mentioned above, I had the site working fine locally and it’s fubar on my VPS.

Textdrive is not blocking SimplePie, cause the demo on their site can pull in every feed that I’m trying to reach. So it’s not the useragent string that I thought was the problem.

I can ping every Textpattern related site just fine from my machines at home, pinging from my VPS gives me nothing. I can surf from my VPS using Lynx to Textpattern.com just fine, so it’s reachable.

So if anyone can shed some light on this, I’d appreciate it.

If nothing else, I’ve become an expert on RSS feed plugins for Textpattern ;)

#27 2006-08-13 15:54:43

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

After spending some time reading the Textdrive forums, I think their server configurations may be blocking out my VPS.

I’ve sent a support request to Textdrive and I’m waiting to hear back. As soon as I get an answer and hopefully a resolution, I’ll continue work on the design of the site.

PS. I’ve settled on using the SimplePie Plug-in for Textpattern. One nice feature that it contains over bit_rss is that you can control how many characters from the body of a post that you want to see displayed. It also plays nice with all the feeds coming from either Textpattern, PunBB, MediaWiki or Trac.

Last edited by hcgtv (2006-08-13 15:56:40)

#28 2006-08-14 10:40:09

Destry
Website

Sounds good. Looking forward to this.

#29 2006-08-19 14:11:47

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

I was contacted by Filip Hajny of Textdrive support on 08/14, we exchanged some emails.

Current Status: Waiting on Customer

I don’t understand what they are waiting on me for?

#30 2006-08-20 07:31:32

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Yesterday I posted this in the How-tos forum and I was thinking that it would be great if there was a method if your site offered a method to search all sites which will be presenting. There is this by rollyo but that is about a user choice to install or not to install a plugin. Also, it is limited to mozilla browsers. I’m just think aloud here…

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#31 2006-08-20 17:05:24

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

colak, Alex sent me a link to Wilshire’s Rollyo search engine

I’ll include a link on the planet site to it, I’ve been playing with it and it seems to find what I look for.

#32 2006-08-21 15:04:24

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Status bump:

Textdrive is the not the problem, I can access feeds using rss_fetch, so it appears to be SimplePie having problems with my PHP version accessing some servers.

I’m awaiting the developers of SimplePie to give me an answer on their support forums. I also read that Beta 3 is coming soon, if that doesn’t fix the problem then I’ll go with tcm_rss that uses MagpieRSS.

#33 2006-08-21 15:50:58

colak
Admin

Why don’t you try feed2JS ? I use it with mild success. Basically I had to create a cron script to delete the files feed2JS creates once every 8 hours. Without the cron script the feeds were not parsed

>edit:typos

Last edited by colak (2006-08-23 08:28:19)

Yiannis
——————————

#34 2006-08-21 16:35:08

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

colak, I’d prefer to use Textpattern plugins on the site. I think by using plugins we help in their further development and in turn, Textpattern’s own usage.

#35 2006-08-25 14:15:19

Walker
Plugin Author
Website

So how’s it going Bert? Any updates on the issue with SimplePie?

Ahh….I read through the forum where you’re working with the SP developer. (He’s got something new to try today).

Last edited by Walker (2006-08-25 14:19:49)

#36 2006-08-26 06:26:15

colak
Admin

hcgtv wrote:

So if anyone can shed some light on this, I’d appreciate it.

Hi Bert, I started using simplepie as from yesterday in the home page of neme.org site. The idea was that I wanted to create a unifying interface between 2 txp installs and a punBB forum. All is working just fine. The site is hosted in textdrive.

To make it function I used the simplepie plugin downloaded from their site. If you need any help let me know.

Last edited by colak (2006-08-26 06:27:12)

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer