Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-08-08 13:18:48

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Help.Textpattern 4.0-20060824.zip, backwards- and plugin-compatibility

We need your help with respect to the upcoming 4.0.4 release. We are looking for people who are running their sites on 4.0.3 and who are willing to test their site and their installed plugins against the current development version and provide us feedback on their experience.

For all those, who are uncomfortable with using subversion, I have uploaded a .zip-file of the most current development-version here:
4.0-20060824.zip (download removed)

The intention of testing is
  • to find out whether the plugins you are using show any different behaviour.
  • to find out whether you’ll see anything that affects the public-side, like odd warning-messages, broken/changed styling etc.
  • for us to try to “fix” things that are feasible to fix, or else at least document them for the update process, so that people know what to look out for
  • Note: There are some minor behavioural changes that were unavoidable, but they will hardly affect anybody negatively. These are documented in posts here in the testing forum, but we will filter and bundle that informtion for the 4.0.4 release.
We do not need your help right now, if
  • you are very new to textpattern, and are still in your early learning phase
  • you are running a version of 4.0.2 or older. Please update to 4.0.3 first.
  • you are the type who does not update often, because this test-version will not be supported. Or in other words: if you use this version, you must update to 4.0.4 once it is released.
What you need to do:
  • Update Use your staging site or production site (only if breaking it temporarily is ok) and upgrade it to the above download. [Since we are not making any db-changes you should be able to revert back a live-site to 4.0.3 by replacing all files again, should the need arise]
  • Check the different parts of your site, including sections, categories, feeds, comments & commenting. Make a list of things that irritated you, that seemed broken to you or that you think is critical for a 4.0.4 release. Note that we are neither looking for general bug reports nor feature ideas. We need feedback on compatibility of plugins, of old(er) layouts and of other update related issues you encounter
  • Report After you have taken your time and gone through all the necesary things, please post the relevant part of your notes here in this topic. If you encountered problems with plugins, also contact the authors of said plugins and ask if/when they intend to update their plugin. Try to be as specific as necessary, but at the same time as short & precise as possible.

Thank you very much for helping make textpattern even better. :)

(Edit: updated the zip on Aug 24. – Mary)

Last edited by Sencer (2006-08-31 16:47:58)

#2 2006-08-08 15:50:10

jonhicks
Website

Re: Help.Textpattern 4.0-20060824.zip, backwards- and plugin-compatibility

Installed it on PimpMyCamino and all is well! I’ll try it out on Hicksdesign next…

Cheers,
Jon VC#9

#3 2006-08-08 16:13:18

jonhicks
Website

On Hicksdesign, the only problems encountered are on individual pages where comments are enabled, I get this warning at the top of the page:

Warning: raw_php_deprecated in path/to/my/public_html/textpattern/publish.php on line 978

Such as here: http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/quick-thoughts-on-leopard

As for plugins, the gbp_faux_static plugin has a ‘patterns’ tab where errors are being output:

Warning: Missing argument 3 for event_multiedit_form(), called in /path/to/my/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(501) : eval()’d code on line 586 and defined in /path/to/my/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php on line 907
Warning: Missing argument 4 for event_multiedit_form(), called in /path/to/my/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(501) : eval()’d code on line 586 and defined in /path/to/my/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php on line 907
Warning: Missing argument 5 for event_multiedit_form(), called in /path/to/my/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(501) : eval()’d code on line 586 and defined in /path/to/my/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php on line 907
Warning: Missing argument 6 for event_multiedit_form(), called in /path/to/my/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(501) : eval()’d code on line 586 and defined in /path/to/my/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php on line 907
Warning: Missing argument 7 for event_multiedit_form(), called in /path/to/my/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(501) : eval()’d code on line 586 and defined in /path/to/my/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php on line 907
Notice: Undefined variable: page in /path/to/my/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php on line 924
Notice: Undefined variable: sort in /path/to/my/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php on line 925
Notice: Undefined variable: crit in /path/to/my/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php on line 926

Everything else looks good.

Last edited by jonhicks (2006-08-08 16:15:59)

Cheers,
Jon VC#9

#4 2006-08-08 16:50:12

Jeff_K
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I will make this update later today. If this update breaks my site, can I swap back to 4.0.3 without too much damage?

#5 2006-08-08 17:17:10

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

One problem I found with one of my plugins is that the rightmost column on the content->write tab used to have an id of “articleside” but is now called “article-col-2”.

This effects my rss_unlimited_categories plugin. I will have a new version ready when 4.0.4 is released.

#6 2006-08-08 17:54:18

FireFusion

Well i installed it on my testing site and i’m getting some problems.

zem_contact_reborn 4.0.3.17 isn’t sending mail. That and zem_contact_lang are the only plugins that site uses.

Also every now and then a page won’t load anything and you have to reload. I don’t think it’s a server issue as other sites on the same server are not affected. I’ll keep an eye on it.

#7 2006-08-08 18:46:08

Walker
Plugin Author
Website

What the heck does “sort_display” mean on the left hand side of the “write” page?

#8 2006-08-08 18:56:15

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Walker wrote:

What the heck does “sort_display” mean on the left hand side of the “write” page?

Update your language file, it should say Sort and Display. I ran into the same thing with a lot of headings until I got the latest files.

#9 2006-08-08 19:10:15

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

• “allow_raw_php_scripting” lacks a german translation.
  • Frontend layout stays ok (sticky and live articles)
  • No issues with 304 support, pages are properly delivered .
  • upm_img_popper, upm_savenew cannot attach to admin interface on article tab.
  • Upon plugin installation, the help preview shows escaped HTML code. Is this by purpose?
  • RSS Feed validates with one warning: “Avoid content:encoded”
  • Atom feed validates.

#10 2006-08-08 19:43:03

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Great feedback! Thank you all and keep it coming.

Hi Jon,

Warning: raw_php_deprecated in path/to/my/public_html/textpattern/publish.php on line 978

Yes, this will appear when < ? is used. Those have been deprecated for quite some time, and were initially intended to be removed for the 4.0 release last year. It is better to use <txp:php>. There is an FAQ entry on it. We decided to introduce a warning to gently push ushers to the new tags. Having said that – it’s only a warning, not an error. So switching to live mode will make it go away.

JeffK,

can I swap back to 4.0.3 without too much damage

yes, you should be able to swap back your files 4.0.3 without problems. Just make sure you don’t run a mix of old and new files.

wet,

Upon plugin installation, the help preview shows escaped HTML code. Is this by purpose?

Yes, it’s on purpose. We had complaints that there was no easy way to review the (html-)code from the help screen as is possible with the php-code. edit: The new plugin template and compiler offer an alternate version to produce plugins which will strip all html and allow only textile -> that way the help for those could be displayed rendered. It’s in /dev/4.0-plugin-template in svn if you want to take a peek (suggestions welcome – though probably better in a different thread).

Last edited by Sencer (2006-08-08 19:51:30)

#11 2006-08-08 20:53:53

Skubidu
Archived Plugin Author
Website

wet schrieb:

• “allow_raw_php_scripting” lacks a german translation.

There’s no such string in the translation interface.
Well, at least I can’t find it…

#12 2006-08-08 21:07:29

Jeff_K
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Looking good on the <a href=http://fillip.ca>Fillip site</a>. It did snag an (global variable) error in a custom plugin, but I fixed the error and everything seems to be working well.

Did the font/font size of the fixed width font used in the plugin source textarea change? It seems a bit bigger/different. I am finding it awkward, for example []‘s are looking like solid sqaures.

Board footer