Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-06-29 16:40:54

graeme
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [archived] gbp_l10n - Multilingual Publishing

heikki74 wrote:

Does it help if you get publisher privileges to a textpattern test site which is running with php5?
I could do that today or tomorrow.

Thanks for the offer I might take you up on it but I think I’ve got it building correctly now… we’ll see.

#14 2006-06-29 20:14:48

lee

Hi Graeme, how does your plugin work, not technically but on a practical/article level?

Cheers, Lee

#15 2006-07-03 12:01:29

graeme
Plugin Author
Website

heikki74, akokskis

Okay I’ve updated the download links. Hopefully that will fix the ‘Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated’ errors.

#16 2006-07-03 12:03:18

graeme
Plugin Author
Website

lee wrote:

Hi Graeme, how does your plugin work, not technically but on a practical/article level?

The plugin creates a new tab in the content section of the Textpattern’s interface. You’re shown a list of all the articles which have been localised and all which haven’t. Click the name of the article and you are presented with text boxes for the title, body, excerpt. One which original text and one provided to put the translation. Hit save and you are done.

The same can be done for category and section titles.

To get the localised content to appear on the public site, (at www.domain.com/fr/ etc…) you need to follow the simple instructions in the plugin help.

#17 2006-07-03 13:12:14

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

Hello Graeme. Your plugin looks really, really promising, and this is just what I needed: thank you very much! I’m trying it in my local install, and guessing how it works.

Some questions:

1. In the ‘section’ subtab of ‘localisation’ nothing appear, whereas in articles and category tabs the titles and the categories are shown. Maybe there’s something to setup?
  2. Is there a way to use the rss_unlilmited categories and have them associated at articles, as the originals?
  3. Is there a way to unlocalize the articles? Suppose I’m just trying and want to restore the initial conditions.

Thank you a lot, I’m looking forward to have this feature working! :)

Z-

#18 2006-07-03 14:00:43

Destry
Website

Graeme, as someone who is keenly interested in multilingual publishing and financially supporting the claimed effort of net-carver on this front, would it be fair to perhaps indicate here where you stand exactly with your plugin so folks are not confused and expecting as to the future of this plugin? Even I am a bit confused at the moment, as there seems to be parallel efforts going on.

#19 2006-07-03 19:38:07

graeme
Plugin Author
Website

Zanza wrote:

bq..
  1. In the ‘section’ subtab of ‘localisation’ nothing appear, whereas in articles and category tabs the titles and the categories are shown. Maybe there’s something to setup?
  2. Is there a way to use the rss_unlilmited categories and have them associated at articles, as the originals?
  3. Is there a way to unlocalize the articles? Suppose I’m just trying and want to restore the initial conditions.
p..
  1. There is nothing to set up. I’ve seen this happen before. Would you take a look at you mysql tables and repair them if necessary. Let me know if that fixes the problem.
  2. I’m not familiar with rss_unlimited_categories I will take a look. It should be possible but I’m not 100% sure.
  3. Just delete the localised content, hit save and the article will reappear in the unlocalised list.

#20 2006-07-03 19:44:25

graeme
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote:

Graeme, as someone who is keenly interested in multilingual publishing and financially supporting the claimed effort of net-carver on this front, would it be fair to perhaps indicate here where you stand exactly with your plugin so folks are not confused and expecting as to the future of this plugin? Even I am a bit confused at the moment, as there seems to be parallel efforts going on.

A good idea Destry. Thank you.

Net-carver has claimed the requested multilingual publishing plugin. This is for the best because I’m uncertain how much time I’m able to put into the future development my plugin.

After Marios requested a multilingual publishing plugin I released my plugin to show what I have already done, to give someone a place to start, ideas, etc… I had no intention of ever putting forward a claim to the request or confusing the matter.

I’ve been discussing with net-carver and have offered my help. Although I have put a lot of time into my code it is his choice whether he base his plugin on my code or not. He has come up with good ideas and pointed out both advantages and disadvantages of my implementation. We are still it the process of discussing this but there’s a strong possibility he won’t use the same implementation as my plugin.

If that is the case, I’m interested in continuing development of this plugin, but there is a possibility that I won’t be able to. I’m unable to say yet.

I hope to agree with net-carver which is best implementation and work together to achieve this. It strikes me that the in the best interest of the community that net-carver and I work together, but at the same time there will be advantages and disadvantages of any implementation so choice of plugin isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Join efforts hopefully. Parallel efforts maybe.

#21 2006-07-03 20:49:33

Destry
Website

Sounds good. I’ll be watching all efforts on this front with great interest.

#22 2006-07-03 21:06:42

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

graeme wrote:

p..
  1. There is nothing to set up. I’ve seen this happen before. Would you take a look at you mysql tables and repair them if necessary. Let me know if that fixes the problem.

Uhm… I repaired all the tables. No luck. No section show up in the section subtab of localisation. No problem with other tabs. My php is 4.4.2. MySQL: 4.1.12

If you need some other informations about my installation, please tell me.

Z-

#23 2006-07-04 03:10:41

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Destry

It has always been my intention to work closely with Graeme on this, as his plugin is already well developed. We have communicated on this and it is my intention to keep Graeme as closely involved as he feels able.

Steve

#24 2006-07-04 06:01:57

heikki74

No errors/warnings anymore here but I have trouble getting this to work.
I can localize articles and they appear in the database.
Public side doesn’t show any of the localized stuff.

Besides translation, I have done this:
  • messy urls
  • txp:gbp_localize -tag around page template
  • txp:gbp_localize -tag around article form

http://www.domain.com/en/ doesn’t show any localizations.
Have I missed some required step?

Board footer