You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » [Archived] bit_rss

#85 2007-01-19 15:58:11

blueprint
Website

Re: [Archived] bit_rss

Thanks Walker, now I understand the behaviour of bit_rss. I was looking for a plugin that could do more than the standard textpattern rss tag.

#86 2007-01-19 17:10:43

nasv

out of curiosity, has anyone run into situations where bit_rss will not include the latest from an RSS feed? (I think this might be more of a problem with the simplepie engine).

My site is www.tintorecords.com, and I make the following call for bit_rss:
<txp:bit_rss form=“bit_rss_list” feed=“http://www.corkd.com/feed/journal/nasv” limit=“5” />

corkd.com is a wine “management” site, and I can post my reviews to a journal. Reviews added to the journal are syndicated via the feed link above. My google reader sees all of the latest reviews and in the proper order. My call to bit_rss seems to select 5 of my reviews arbitrarily to review, thus my latest reviews aren’t displayed :-( … unfortunately, when I test at http://simplepie.org/demo/, I get the same 5 results.

Any ideas? Any one have similar problems?

thanks,
-Nico

#87 2007-01-19 19:00:05

dai

not sure why its happening but you could try adding order=“desc” which should order them the newest first

#88 2007-01-19 19:24:54

nasv

thanks for the tip… I think after a little bit more research I’ve discovered it’s a problem with how the actual feed is implemented (bit_rss does no wrong here). I’ve already mailed the support team for the RSS writers.

thanks though,
-Nico

#89 2007-01-19 21:29:10

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

I believe bit_rss has an older version of SimplePie, grab the latest version and just overwrite the simplepie.inc.

I discovered the same thing also, the sorting issue, it was fixed in Beta 3.

#90 2007-01-23 22:28:41

WebKat

What is the best way for getting this to display excerpts rather than full text? I’m using this to put the last 5 entries in my LiveJournal into the page, but sometimes my LJ entries are very, very long, and sometimes they have images and so on, and so I really don’t want the full entries to show up. 300 or so characters would be better (but preferably breaking at actual words, not just mid-word?)

WebKat

#91 2007-01-24 05:31:28

maverick
Website

I’m using rss_auto_excerpt. It works well for this use.

A couple of issues I have run into:

1) if I add a class to style the permalinks to the full article, the links break – they become relative to your site (http://www.yoursite.com//article-title)

2) If the rss has pictures they can’t be styled so the text wraps the picture. At least I haven’t found a way yet.

#92 2007-01-26 19:55:01

merz1
Website

@maverick: Are you using rss_auto_excerpt to cut down bit_rss feed articles? How?

If I got the question right then a solutions is needed which produces just an excerpt output from the feed.
Is ist possible to use rss_auto_excerpt instead of txp:body in the bit_rss form?

(rss_auto_excerpt is a GREAT plugin btw)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#93 2007-01-27 01:36:56

maverick
Website

merz1

Yes – I am using rss_auto_excerpt to cut down the bit_rss feed to one paragraph.

I replaced the txp:body tag with rss_auto_excerpt.

I don’t know if this is the only, or even the best way to do it. It’s just the way I did it.

Mike

#94 2007-01-28 10:21:25

merz1
Website

@maverick: That’s cool. Good to know.

Did you experience any limitations with the rss_auto_excerpt parameters?

The article tags, <txp:title>, <txp:posted>, <txp:body>, and <txp:permlink> will work normally in the form used.
<txp:bit_author> replaces the <txp:author> tag in forms for this plugin.

Are there more known tags to work with the bit_rss form? Of course limited to the use of the RSS feed.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#95 2007-01-29 00:55:16

maverick
Website

@merz1

re:
rss_auto_excerpt: I’ve only used the parameter of paragraphs=‘1’, so I’m afraid I can’t advise on the others.

re: more known tags

Given how bit_rss hands off the content to regular txp tags, I suspect that any tags that can replace the standard txp tags listed above should work. But that is a guess.

As I mentioned earlier, I have found that adding a class to the permalink (whether txp:permlink or a href) causes the link to display the artcile relative to the site – with a double backslash (www.yoursite.com//article_name)

fwiw

I am using bit_rss on the front page of Morocco Church.

About 2/3s of the way down you will see a heading: Leadership University. This is bit_rss with rss_auto_excerpt. Below it is BishopBlog & UB News, which is bit_rss displaying just the permalinks.

The only modification I have made to bit_rss (indirectly that is) is I updated simplepie’s image handler file to the latest version. I tried using the updated simplepie_include file as well, but that stopped my page from loading entirely. I didn’t have time to troubleshoot it, so I reverted to the file from the version that came with bit_rss.

The newer image file seems to be an improvement.

Mike

Last edited by maverick (2007-01-29 00:56:37)

#96 2007-01-30 10:45:58

merz1
Website

@bit:

If Send Last-Modified Header is set to yes then new feed entries will not be delivered until a full page reload is requested.

More: If I do a forced reload in the article view I get the new content. (Then) Requesting the homepage with the same content with a standard click I still get the old content (from the browser cache?).

That’s what I see in Firefox2 when I load feeds with bit_rss in an article (not in a page form or article template; I did not check that yet). Seems to be a vicious circle as the article content does not change and bit_rss is only triggered when the article is requested (right?).

The page I am working on: advokathamburg.de where (right now) I am mixing four news feeds. I will now set Send Last-Modified Header to No and watch what happens. It is a very low traffic site so it should not be a problem.

Reproducible?
Changeable?

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » [Archived] bit_rss

Board footer