You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » [Archived] bit_rss

#133 2007-06-24 10:09:41

The-Exit
Website

Re: [Archived] bit_rss

This is a lovely plugin, which i try to use with the rss_auto_excerpt. But the link, which the plugin generates, does not work. Any suggestions? Or would it be possible to manipulated with thie bit_rss-plugin the body-tag?

#134 2007-07-11 13:29:51

minitrue

I was wandering if it’s possible to combine a RSS-feed with the ‘normal’ articles in Textpattern. I would like to display articles form a RSS-feed mixed (on date) with articles that are written in Textpattern. Any suggestions?

#135 2007-07-11 13:47:01

squaredeye
Website

You could always just post your articles to a “hidden section” and get the feed from that and whatever other feeds you want to use, and then mash them up using yahoo pipes or some other feed mashing service and then use bit_rss to pull them all in.

Make sense?

#136 2007-07-11 14:09:56

minitrue

Yeah, that’s how for I got. But then I’m loosing a lot of the features of my textpattern articles because I’m converting them to rss and back…

#137 2007-07-11 14:21:53

merz1
Website

Wasn’t there something like ‘skip’ and/or ‘offset’ in bit_rss like you can do it with txp:article?

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#138 2007-07-13 08:57:59

M_i

Hello,

This plugin seems to be interfering with my site’s own feed: my feed is now displaying my most recent article titles, authors, posting dates and links (good so far), but then gets descriptions from the feeds I’m pulling from elsewhere through this plugin.

Using Txp 4.04 and bit_rss v0.4.1.

Edit: Just tried bit_rss v0.3 and now my site’s own feed has disappeared completely / cannot be read, depending on the used browser.

Edit some more: Reckon this is the same problem as merz1 reported on earlier. There is no fix besides switching to another plugin? That’s a shame – I really like being able to use forms…

Last edit: Moved the bit_rss tag from an article to a page. Not quite as elegant but at least it doesn’t mess up my feed anymore.

Last edited by M_i (2007-07-13 09:43:19)

#139 2007-07-13 12:55:01

squaredeye
Website

I’ve had this happen also, in a slightly different manner.
I was outputting a feed from coulour lovers, into an article posted in a section. No problem.
BUT, when I rolled out the site feed, the titles were correct, but all the bodies of all of the articles contained the first
image of the feed from colour lovers. Very strange. When I turned that article off, the feeds were again correct.

Any ideas?

I’ll reproduce the problem if it is helpful to see it, let me know by email and I’ll give you a link. Its a production site, so I don’t
care to give a link here.

Matthew

#140 2007-07-13 13:35:31

M_i

ma_smith wrote:

I’ve had this happen also, in a slightly different manner.
I was outputting a feed from coulour lovers, into an article posted in a section. No problem.
BUT, when I rolled out the site feed, the titles were correct, but all the bodies of all of the articles contained the first
image of the feed from colour lovers. Very strange. When I turned that article off, the feeds were again correct.

Yep, that’s what happened to me too. And people actually read my feed, so I can’t have any of that.

As soon as I removed the bit_rss tag from the article and put it on a page, all worked fine again. This is alright for me since I – for now – only had one article with a bit_rss tag, but of course using a page rather than an article limits you in all sorts of ways.

#141 2007-07-23 09:50:46

redbot
Plugin Author

Hi,
I love this plugin. Anyway I have a question: I’m using this to output RSS feeds coming exclusively from another txp site which is under my control.
Since rss_auto_excerpt is not helpful in my case, I was wondering if there is a way to modify the plugin in order to use the <txp:excerpt /> tag.
And yes I’ve read the instructions and I understand why this plugin doesn’t support <txp:excerpt /> but in my case I know exactly where the feeds are originated from and I know for sure that there will allways be an excerpt.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

#142 2007-07-23 10:08:03

M_i

redbot wrote:

Hi,
I love this plugin. Anyway I have a question: I’m using this to output RSS feeds coming exclusively from another txp site which is under my control.
Since rss_auto_excerpt is not helpful in my case, I was wondering if there is a way to modify the plugin in order to use the <txp:excerpt /> tag.
And yes I’ve read the instructions and I understand why this plugin doesn’t support <txp:excerpt /> but in my case I know exactly where the feeds are originated from and I know for sure that there will allways be an excerpt.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Won’t it be a lot easier to change the feed of your other site so that site’s feed includes the excerpt of the articles on that site, instead of the body? (change the default setting in advanced preferences, under publish)

Unless you need to syndicate a feed with your articles’ body for some other reason of course…

Last edited by M_i (2007-07-23 10:25:58)

#143 2007-07-23 10:25:09

redbot
Plugin Author

M_i,
thanks!! I always tend to complicate simple things, thanks again!

#144 2007-07-23 12:17:41

merz1
Website

An additional alternative is to use FeedBurner to create an excerpt RSS feed. You can publish one (1) full feed and send it through FeedBurner as many times as you like it with different preferences for each published FeedBurner feed.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » [Archived] bit_rss

Board footer