1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » [Archived] bit_rss

#121 2007-03-13 16:29:46

bit
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: [Archived] bit_rss

I’m not sure but the discrepancy is probably caused by the different versions of SimplePie I had packaged with the two versions. What you’re describing is the standard behavior I put into 0.4 when SimplePie finds an error and can’t render the feeds. This is error is generated way before bit_rss actually does anything to the feeds so this is probably a SimplePie issue with your feeds.

And merz: Yeah. I hope it doesn’t cause too much confusion. Considering 0.4.1 is a minor update from 0.4, I didn’t bother to change the filenames. :-P I’ll gladly change that if it’s an issue.

“The neighboring marshmallow factory fared no better, having been unable to absorb the incredible pressure wave.”

#122 2007-03-13 16:38:35

maverick
Website

Thank @bit

I see if I can find a place at SimplePie’s site to ask.

Mike

EDIT:

I found a solution, so I doubt I’ll take time to follow up with Simple Pie. In case it helps anyone else:

v.0.3/Simple Pie Allowed me to use the basic URL of a particular BlogSpot and the feed was auto-discovered. As of 0.41 some, but some (not all) BogSpot URLs ceased auto-discovery. Adding “/atom.xml” to the end of the basic URL (so that it was pointing to the actual feed URL) fixed the issue.

Mike

Last edited by maverick (2007-03-13 17:43:20)

#123 2007-03-19 13:05:06

squaredeye
Website

anybody used bit_rss to pull in audio from podcasts on another site? Any hiccups or thoughts on the subject?

#124 2007-04-26 20:51:11

merz1
Website

@Bit: Please make it possible to pull a custom field into the feed URL. I would love to use the shown example in an article form instead of handcoding it everywhere.

==<txp:output_form form="rss_google_news" />==

… would also be a killer in this context.

asy_wondertag, which allows nested tags, does not work (as far as I have tested it).

<h4 style="clear:both;">Ten actual news  about 
'<txp:custom_field name="Keyword or phrase" />'</h4>

<txp:bit_rss 
feed="http://www.google.de/news?hl=de&ned=de&ie=UTF-8&output=rss
&q=<txp:custom_field name="Keyword or phrase" escape="html" />" 
form="rss_linkliste" limit="10" strip_ads="1" 
emptymsg="No news found for <txp:custom_field name="Keyword or phrase" />" />

(edited code for better reading)

If you can make this happen please make sure that automagically all spaces become + signs

Minor wish but a very nice detail:

Ten actual news…

Could you invent a parameter which returns the number of outputted articles? The first dozen should be names (No, one, two, …) and >=13 should be numbers. A translation file for the named numbers would be helpful :)

German Example page (FYI: Klimawandel = Global warming)

PS: I have found no way to get the Google news feed properly displayed (font tags, tables).

Last edited by merz1 (2007-04-26 20:58:01)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#125 2007-04-26 22:21:38

merz1
Website

Bug? Issue?

I have found an issue which is not so nice.
Below the bit_rss output I also have a part called ‘Artikel Navigation’.
Certain output is missing now after injecting the above quoted code!

From the article form:

<h4>Artikel Navigation</h4>
<hr />
<div id="article_navigation">
<p><txp:chh_if_data><strong><txp:link_to_prev>Älterer Artikel</txp:link_to_prev></strong><txp:else />Ältester Artikel</txp:chh_if_data> · <txp:chh_if_data><strong><txp:link_to_next>Neuerer Artikel</txp:link_to_next></strong><txp:else />Aktuellster Artikel</txp:chh_if_data> im Ressort <txp:section link="1" /> | <a href="http://sankt-georg.info/" title="Zur Startseite von sankt-georg.info">Aktuellste Artikel</a> | <a href="http://sankt-georg.info/tag/" title="Hamburg St. Georg Stichwort-Wolke / Tag Cloud">Alle Stichworte</a>
</p>
<p><strong>Stichworte zu diesem Artikel</strong> - Anklicken und alle Artikel finden</p><p><txp:tru_tags_if_has_tags><txp:tru_tags_from_article  texttransform="capitalize" />
</txp:tru_tags_if_has_tags></p>
<p><strong>Verwandte Artikel nach Kategorie(n):</strong> <txp:category1 link=1 /> <txp:category2 link=1 /></p>
<txp:chh_if_data><txp:related_articles break="li" wraptag="ul" limit="6" /><txp:else /><p>Keine verwandten Artikel vorhanden.</p></txp:chh_if_data>

Problems occur with these parts (and some more). Problem exists below the bit_rss output.

<txp:tru_tags_if_has_tags><txp:tru_tags_from_article  texttransform="capitalize" /></txp:tru_tags_if_has_tags>
Verwandte Artikel nach Kategorie(n):</strong> <txp:category1 link=1 /> <txp:category2 link=1 /></p><txp:chh_if_data><txp:related_articles break="li" wraptag="ul" limit="6" /><txp:else /><p>Keine verwandten Artikel vorhanden.</p></txp:chh_if_data>

The effect is reproducible! I have used my own raw TXP feeds and I have reduced the necessary RSS form to an absolute minimum. Still data is not showing up.

Edit: If the the necessary RSS form is reduced to nothing (read: empty) then the output works again but I get the error message:

The form for bit_rss could not be found.

Last edited by merz1 (2007-04-26 22:34:59)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#126 2007-04-28 21:28:35

merz1
Website

@Bit: Another bug or issue with bit_rss 0.4.1 and TXP 4.0.4

My feeds are reproducibly broken if I use bit_rss.

• In the RSS feeds the first article/excerpt shows up fine
  • The second article correctly only contains the title
  • The content/excerpt of the 2nd article is replaced by the 1st bit_rss item from the 1st article

Tested facts

• I syndicate exceprts and bit_rss is in the main body.
  • If I have 2 x bit_rss and remove the first tag then the 1st item of the 2nd bit_rss tag shows up in the feeds
  • If I remove all bit_rss tags from the 1st article then the first two articles show up fine and the 1st item of the 2nd article bit_rss tag shows up in the feed content of the third article.
  • If I deactivate the bit_rss plug-in then TXP throws errors at me (in the RSS feed) about a missing bit_rss tag.

I have no idea…

Edit: I am using the SimplePie plug-in now and it does not have all the rendering issues. Feed is OK and standard TXP tags are also working fine.

Last edited by merz1 (2007-04-29 00:34:05)

#127 2007-05-07 09:27:34

bizartist
Website

Great plugin! Is there anyway of integrating the articles more?

I am trying to integrate a content feed my client paid for into his site. I want it to be a list of title links on the homepage that each link to the full body text within his site (basically as if each feed item was a TXP article), but the behaviour of txp:permlink in the rss form just links all the titles back to the source of the feed. I was trying to create a workaround using the offset attribute and multiple instances of bit_rss, but the offset attribute seems to be broken. Any ideas?

After enduring years of Art School, mild mannered Owen Waring noticed some unusual changes… the constant bombardment of criticism, it seems, had altered his DNA. Half pixel pusher, half programmer, he had become…. THE BIZARTIST

#128 2007-05-07 10:57:50

merz1
Website

@ bizartist: Check out server based ‘reblogging’ software. Another subject to look for is the keyword ‘XML-RPC’.

Hint: reBlog, Gregarius. Gregarius i.e. can create RSS feeds for every output. Integrate those feeds and you are half way done.

The same is possible with a lot of feed aggregators available on the web.

To have one article for every single feed article needs more work. You will need the Textpattern XML-RPC extension and you will need a reblogging software capable of sending single items via XML-RPC to Textpattern.

As far as I know this can not be done automatically. But an editor can do it from many XML-RPC capable server or client software tools by hand. reBlog i.e. offers two plugins, but not for Textpattern and no generic XML-RPC channel.

(To discuss the reblogging subject pls. open new general thread. I am sure many people will be interested. I am for sure!)

#129 2007-05-18 19:01:19

sthmtc
Website

it’s the first time i’m using this plugin and it’s really really cool. before, i manually incorporated simplepie into my websites. i think i’ve found a bug though. i want to display 3 feeds from my delicious account, based on tags. the feed url looks like this:

http://del.icio.us/rss/username/blog+cat
http://del.icio.us/rss/username/blog+dog
http://del.icio.us/rss/username/blog+pig

now i’m putting these feeds as argument for bit_rss. what i’d expect to happen would be that bit_feed_title would output:

• del.icio.us/rss/username/blog+cat
  • del.icio.us/rss/username/blog+dog
  • del.icio.us/rss/username/blog+pig

cause these are the titles of the individual feeds. but this doesn’t work. whichever feed i put as last argument sort of overwrites bit_feed_title. accordingly the same happens with bit_feed_link.

so given the order of the feeds as descibed above (pig would be the last argument for feeds) the output is:

would be great if you could have a look at this or if anyone had any ideas where to look for the bug. it does work very well with every other feed i’m throwing at it but the delicious ones based on tags are giving me headaches…

#130 2007-05-29 12:51:52

sthmtc
Website

here is another question/problem/bug (unrelated to the one described above).

the limit seems to override the offset attribute. whenever i set limit="1" the offset has no effect and the first item of the feed is being displayed.

#131 2007-06-01 19:44:23

WebKat

I am having a weird problem. On my main page I have this plugin pulling the most recent 4 entries in my LiveJournal and the most recent entry in my dream journal (also at LJ). It’s been working fine for months. Today the feed for my main journal isn’t showing up. I checked the url and I can view the feed (http://opalcat.livejournal.com/data/atom) and I haven’t touched the template so nothing changed there. The dream one shows up fine. I don’t get it, because they are from the same site… and it was working before, and has been for a long time. Ideas? I deleted the files in the cache directory already.

Update:
WHAT?! Right after I posted that, I looked and it was back. What the hey? What would make it disappear like that for a few hours and then magically return?

Last edited by OpalCat (2007-06-01 19:45:17)

WebKat

#132 2007-06-04 13:11:17

maverick
Website

OpalCat

I’ve been experiencing the same situation with several of my feeds. Consistently worked fine until recently. Now sometimes the feed is picked up, sometimes its not. Very intermittent Nothing has changed on either my feeds or the site I’m pulling the feeds into.

Weird.

Mike

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » [Archived] bit_rss

Board footer