3. » [Archived] bit_rss

#109 2007-03-09 23:43:34

merz1
Website

Re: [Archived] bit_rss

No PHP knowledge either, but could one replace

$return = '<a href="'.$permwh.'" rel="external">';

with

$return = '<a href="'.$permwh.'" title="'.$thisarticle['title'].'" rel="external">';

to get the article title as title=”“ for the a?

I am absolutely not sure about the dots and single quotes in my hack :-)

Last edited by merz1 (2007-03-09 23:44:05)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#110 2007-03-11 18:52:50

bit
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Hi guys. Thanks to Walker, merz, hcgtv, and everyone else for helping people with my plugin. I really haven’t had the time to get any Textpattern work done (even on my own txp sites) and I’m pretty sure that I’m even still stuck on 4.0.2 on some of them. As I’ve mentioned before, if anyone would like to pick this plugin up for further development, I’d gladly pass on the code (that is if you’re not crafty enough to get all of it yourself :-)

And if anyone has discovered anything really wrong with the code or something I need to update, don’t hesitate to contact me via the “E-mail” link on the left side of this post. I’ll also try to accommodate any feature requests that are within reason. ;-)

I’ll review the recent posts for anything I can do to update the plugin. You guys can expect an updated version within the next few days.

Last edited by bit (2007-03-11 18:53:23)

“The neighboring marshmallow factory fared no better, having been unable to absorb the incredible pressure wave.”

#111 2007-03-11 19:37:38

bit
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I just realized that there are tons of SimplePie settings that I can make into bit_rss attributes. I wouldn’t want to over-complicate things by adding everything, so I’d like to ask if there are any particular configs that you want/need to be added?

For reference: SimplePie configuration options

“The neighboring marshmallow factory fared no better, having been unable to absorb the incredible pressure wave.”

#112 2007-03-12 09:23:35

vibe9
Website

This plugin is amazing! Thanks bit.
I can’t think of any specific configs at the moment.

On another note…
Anyone know how to pull feeds from Vanilla?

Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
-Grateful Dead

#113 2007-03-12 14:55:05

bit
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Thanks, vibe9. I try my best. :-)

Anyway, I’ve uploaded v0.4. Available here. It didn’t exactly go through extensive testing so v0.3 is still available here.

Changes:
+ Now uses the latest version of SimplePie, including its IDN support
+ Added the bit_feed_link and bit_feed_title article form tags

#114 2007-03-12 15:08:18

merz1
Website

Opening the archive with TotalCommander 6.51 shows an ‘error in archive’. I downloaded it twice.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#115 2007-03-12 15:33:25

merz1
Website

@bit: I just notice your question:

I’d like to ask if there are any particular configs that you want/need to be added?

At a quick glance I find the following options important:

• cache_max_minutes() is important. In my one and only bit_rss implementation (right now, more to come) 24h would be more then enough instead of the default 60 minutes.
  • remove_div() might become important.
  • strip_ads() is always good to have.
  • strip_htmltags() might become important + related option: encode_instead_of_strip().
  • replace_headers() I like this one for no special reason :-)

If you read the descriptions some of the options are marked “Coming soon…”. So there are not so many options to implement right now :)

Interesting: strip_attributes() is enabled by default. I didn’t notice that before. Good thinking by the SP developers.

Documentation: As mentioned before in this thread you can use rss_auto_excerpt with bit_rss. This is worth a recommendation in the documentation.

Last edited by merz1 (2007-03-12 15:33:54)

#116 2007-03-12 17:21:55

maverick
Website

@bit

I just tried v0.4 w/ two Txp installs (a live and a test site). Both gave the same results: Have reverted the live site back to v0.3 for now.

w/ v 0.3
I was using <code> <txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink> in my form to show the 5 most recent article titles from outside sites.

w/ v 0.4
The above code in the form produces the same title (most recent title) repeated 5 times. The link is now my own site in each instance.

Minor: Help is not displaying properly – showing the html tags.

Hope this helps w/ debugging the new version.

Thanks

Mike

#117 2007-03-13 08:32:35

bit
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Thanks for the quick feedback. I’m right on it.

Oh, and if anyone downloaded it within an hour of my posting about 0.4, you probably would’ve gotten a bad archive file. My bad. My FTP connection kept on dying in the middle of the upload. It should be alright now.

Last edited by bit (2007-03-13 08:34:30)

#118 2007-03-13 11:36:37

bit
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Updated again to 0.4.1.

Changes:
+ Fixed the item output bug as reported by maverick
+ Added all of the configs mentioned by merz1 as attributes
+ Tweaked the help docs

#119 2007-03-13 12:05:38

merz1
Website

FYI: Files in the new 0.4.1 archive are named 0.4

I will test the new version soon (I hope) …

#120 2007-03-13 16:10:50

maverick
Website

@bit

Thanks for the quick update! It looks like the issues I had with the hyperlinks, titles, and help docs are taken care.

I’m not sure this is a bug; rather, I call it an observation of odd behavior. I don’t know if it is related to the new SimplePie or bit_rss.

I still have one site at v0.3 (Morocco Church) and one (test) site at 0.41 (UB Church Feeds)

v0.41 flashes the following error message:

XML error: Mismatched tag at line 405, column 18
XML error: Mismatched tag at line 355, column 59
XML error: Mismatched tag at line 418, column 23

then finishes loading the page, with the “no feeds found” message on the following feeds

http://www.stevegilbertson.blogspot.com/
http://timmhallman.blogspot.com/
http://braintwitch.blogspot.com/

I temporarily tried those feeds at my v0.3 site and all three showed fine. While they are all blogspot, I have other blogspot feeds on the v0.41 site that are showing okay.

Hope this helps

Thanks again. The plugin is great and very appreciated.

Mike

Last edited by maverick (2007-03-13 16:17:01)

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » [Archived] bit_rss

Board footer