Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2006-06-07 14:27:13

hakjoon
Website

Re: Admin Facelift. Take 3

My only concern is that the subtabs off Content and admin seem to only be reachable through the cascade menu. I think specially for an area like content it would be better to have them represented in the second tab row like you have presentation represented now.

This would make the content opions much more visible to clients who will spend much more time in content then in presentation.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#38 2006-06-07 16:42:18

swf
Plugin Author
Website

hakjoon wrote:

My only concern is that the subtabs off Content and admin seem to only be reachable through the cascade menu. I think specially for an area like content it would be better to have them represented in the second tab row like you have presentation represented now.

This would make the content opions much more visible to clients who will spend much more time in content then in presentation.

My assumption is that just like the current sub tabs are context sensitive, so too would these mockups

#39 2006-06-07 18:22:43

hakjoon
Website

swf wrote:
My assumption is that just like the current sub tabs are context sensitive, so too would these mockups

That’s what I figured. Thought I’d mention it just in case.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#40 2006-06-07 18:26:26

mrdale
Website

Really outstanding work, Ace + all others involved. For what it’s worth I preload phiw13’s take 2 theme on every site I build. Just works better.

But this looks awesome, you’ve covered a lot of ground since this thread started.

#41 2006-06-07 18:52:07

NyteOwl

While many of these are nice, I think it important that, love of scipting or icons aside, any redesign should remain true to the “elegant simplicity” for which Textpattern is known. Bells and whistles are all well and good but overdone and you become just another bloated blog engine.

Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination. / 36-bits Forever! / #include <disclaimer.h>;

#42 2006-06-07 19:54:32

Ace of Dubs

I think the Owl is right, I just put together a full comp for the Content page and the icons do get a little distracting. Pardon the sloppiness…still hacking things together here…

When I get some more free time, I will try and simplify some.

#43 2006-06-07 20:10:17

Ace of Dubs

A thought just occured to me… it might be cool to have some display prefs in the admin section so you could turn dropdown menus or icons on/off. Default setting would have niether enabled…

I dont think this would be bloating the software at all, since it is just a matter of assigning CSS to the corresponding pref…

Hmm…

#44 2006-06-07 20:29:08

roberto_deoc

I really like it!
The CSS preferences for colors and backgrounds and icons seems to be a simple and elegant solution.
Is this going to be released before 4.1?
Looking forward to install it, Thanks!
Best,
Roberto.

#45 2006-06-07 20:34:34

alexandra

Ace you rock! post#42 looks great. i can see you hacked it together but i am sure it will turn out smart in the end. Fantastic work!

Concerning post #43: i am not sure some display prefs in the admin-area make really sense. It will not bloat the the software but the admin area… Hmm ..

#46 2006-06-07 23:47:35

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Ace of Dubs wrote:

A thought just occured to me… it might be cool to have some display prefs in the admin section so you could turn dropdown menus or icons on/off. Default setting would have niether enabled…

A couple of display prefs would certainly be a very good thing:

• set font-size (as is well known on this board, the current default of 11px/10px is completely unusable for me :-), or for many other pairs of not-so-young eyes) ——> input field
  • display icons ——> yes/no
  • use pop menus ——> yes/no

Personally, I see the icons more as clutter / IE7 fisherprice look.
The popup menus is possibly a more difficult issue, if a good way can be coded to have this working for most users (keyboard users, users that are not so handy with the mouse,…), cool. Otherwise, keep the current < select > object which is accessible to every user.

Don’t think this would qualify as ‘bloat’, and it would make the admin interface much more user friendly.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#47 2006-06-08 08:06:54

Nonsense

Another thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet is the web standard issue.
It is important that an admin gui redesign follow the W3c standard in terms of CSS 2.x and XHTML 1.0 strict.
That means no CSS-hacks or bogus code.

Let’s make it right this time.

PS.
And for the record I liked the rounded buttons better than the semi-rounded.
DS.

Last edited by Nonsense (2006-06-08 11:25:52)

#48 2006-06-08 13:57:38

Ace of Dubs

@ roberto – I am not sure if this will be ready for the current version as I am starting to poke around with the structural code of the UI. As Sencer has confirmed, the admin is in desperate need of not only a face lift, but some serious liposuction as well. As much as I would love to just skin the current structure, I am overwhelmed by the desire to replace those nested tables with semantic lists, do ALL styling via CSS and bring the admin up to Strict xhtml standard. My guess is this would probably work best with crockery…core team will have to confirm that though.

@ Nonsense – The semi rounded tabs were a consequence of using icons. I suppose I could use sliding doors to incorporate the icon and the rounded corner, but then the icon would vertically lose alignment whenever the user bumps up their text size…I was shooting for a more bulletproof solution, but am open to suggestions…

@ Everyone – In regards to the preference modifications, I think this would be the best solution:

Board footer