Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2006-06-06 17:40:35

Ace of Dubs

Re: Admin Facelift. Take 3

@ Nonsense,
Duly noted. Your suggestion will definitely make this easier to code as well.

@phiw13,
I am also concerned about the accessibility of JS in the dropdowns. Ideally, they should degrade gracefully, but my ability to test these scripts are limited. Currently I am using this one:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/chrome/index.htm

Which works with no problem on IE 6, IE 5 (Mac) Opera, FF. I dont have IE5Win so that has not been tested. But if someone here can confirm, I think we will have covered sufficient bases.

@ P
I am also an icon-whore and your comments have pushed me to slap a few more into the GUI. I totally hear you on the scroll bars, checkboxes, etc. Unfortunately I dont have the slightest clue (short of inserting Flash) on how to style these elements. If you can shoot me a url, and I determine that the code runs well across browsers, then I would gladly put a little love into these elements.

Some great feedback on this thread. I feel we are getting closer to a more democratic admin skin. Keep it coming!

EDIT: Where are my manners? I almost forgot to post the latest updates…

Before I forget…a question for our core developers:

Would it be better to select these themes under admin prefs, or would it be plausible to do some live CSS switching right on the main page and maybe have cookies track which installation gets which theme?

Last edited by Ace of Dubs (2006-06-06 18:25:37)

#26 2006-06-06 19:17:15

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Looking good Ace, I like the different color choices.

#27 2006-06-06 19:25:44

-P-

<blockquote>
Ace of Dubs wrote:

@ P
I am also an icon-whore</blockquote>

wub <3 :D
I love those new icons! They look nice and could be even very helpfull to people who are new to the system/learning it.

<blockquote> and your comments have pushed me to slap a few more into the GUI. I totally hear you on the scroll bars, checkboxes, etc. Unfortunately I dont have the slightest clue (short of inserting Flash) on how to style these elements. If you can shoot me a url, and I determine that the code runs well across browsers, then I would gladly put a little love into these elements.</blockquote>

Here´s what I meant with “more considered” styling. Firstly, let me note that I´m not sure, could it be implemented to TXP:s recent admin style/structure with reasonable effort but throwing in ideas anyway!

Left side of write article view with your style:

Same but with advanced options open:

Last edited by -P- (2006-06-06 19:32:38)

#28 2006-06-06 19:26:05

squaredeye
Website

ace of dubs,
You’re cookin!

Good to see so much participation.

#29 2006-06-06 19:36:49

hakjoon
Website

I’m squealing like an 80’s schoolgirl at a Duran Duran concert I like this design so much.

Last edited by hakjoon (2006-06-06 19:37:05)

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#30 2006-06-06 19:53:19

squaredeye
Website

Hak,
Have you been drinking again? :P

Well said.

#31 2006-06-06 20:29:15

alexandra

Ace, P, wonderful work!! I love it. You are getting very close to what i personally was hoping for/looking for for months. I love those new icons too.

#32 2006-06-06 22:50:41

blumie607
Website

It looks a little like PunBB… Looking good, though…

bludrop studios .::. Creative Expression

#33 2006-06-06 23:47:02

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

@ P
I already do something like that on my own TXP install(s). Different colour schemes/look, but something like what you suggest.

@ Ace
That DynamicDrive script is no more accessible for keyboard users than the Suckerfish one.
One of the best scripts I have seen is BrotherCake’s UDM.

Your latest screenshots look better, more tone-down, quiet.

The thing is, with all those Facelift propositions, if the underlying html code is well made, it becomes trivial to create a new theme. Just create a new style sheet, and you can get a whole new look. My own attempts in Admin. Facelift, take 2 includes 2 style sheets. Want to change the colour scheme ? Just open up your text editor and change the values.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#34 2006-06-07 03:48:29

Ace of Dubs

Nice work, P :)

I incorporated your suggestion in the latest build…

@ phiw13

Thanks for that link, although I am not sure what the licensing price would be since Txp is open source. The price for unlimited usage is a bit steep IMHO. But the menus are impressive!

I will definitely take a peek at your code, although at this stage of the game, I am thinking of coding the admin’s html from scratch since it desperately needs an upgrade. Hopefully time will permit….

#35 2006-06-07 03:58:19

squaredeye
Website

Ace and P,
You’re both causing me to stumble.
:)
Really great colaborration.

#36 2006-06-07 06:13:37

-P-

:D

During the whole time, that has been what I was dreaming TXP admin could be, with those icons and with styling taken also to writing options etc. Ace of Dubs made me speak out! Ace, YOU are an ace!

Round corners would be awesome but guess because of IE have to stick with normal ones? Thou correct me if I´m wrong but have a feeling that Symphony (which to my opinion is having the most beatuiful admin) has styling solutions that render differently with IE. And that´s not really so bad, everything fully works, just isn´t as beatiful than with other browsers… if you want to stick with IE, then be it.

The right side I was thinking beneath article status is that textfields (categorize, section) could stay as they are (and as Ace made in the latest demo) but commenting options could go into a fiedset. With or without a coloured backgound.

And the final touch to write article view, excerpt field that can be expanded/collapsed. Right now the default one is just too small, if you make it bigger, it takes too much space when not needed. Best option would be ability to show/hide it.

Concerning plugins, (since some of them add a tab to navigation) with this style I guess you could make one, same icon that always indicates a custom tab so it stays logic and plugin authors don´t have worry about providing any extra stuff as long as icon is supported in their plugins navigation tab.

Board footer