Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#85 2007-02-22 16:08:54

atodd
Website

Re: aro_slideshow

first off, great app. love it. but i do have a problem. I have an ajax driven site andrewtodd.net. I’m using php to gen the javascript code for my photo albums. what I want the user to be able to do is view a slideshow for an album and be able to end the slideshow and start another one for another album. what happens now that I get two slideshows like “competing” for the same div element.

I hope I am making sense

#86 2007-02-22 16:28:51

rloaderro
Archived Plugin Author
Website

atodd wrote:

what happens now that I get two slideshows like “competing” for the same div element.

hi Todd!

Try this. Call your first instance of the slideshow:

myShow = new Slideshow('the_div', {images: ['1.jpg','2.jpg','3.jpg', etc.. });

Then when you want to switch slideshows, just pass in a new set of images:

myShow.props.images = ['4.jpg','5.jpg','6.jpg', etc..];

And restart the show (or just wait until the next image change):

myShow.start();

You can do the same with any of the properties in slideshow – it’s exactly how I manage the examples on the site. Anyway, let me know if this works for you. Cheers…

Travel Atlas * Org | Start Somewhere

#87 2007-02-22 17:59:10

atodd
Website

thanks for the solution. I had to change directories as well as changing images.
I’m still looking for a way to implicitly stop the slideshow. since I’m running an ajax site, when someone “closes” the slideshow they are actually setting the display attribute of the div to none. when they open another slideshow, it sets the div display to inline. so the slideshow is still running. ideally I’d like to be able to stop a slideshow and start a new one

#88 2007-02-22 18:17:39

mrdale
Website

>rloaderro

I just got the little username joke (I’m not a smart man [dioti] ). lol.

Anyway, I know I could probably hack up a txp category-based slideshow (via all kinds of asy_wondertag & wet_for_each_image machinations). But I’m wondering how the plugin side of this is coming along. I just want to pass an image category to the initialization script.

So, two questions:

1. Any eta on the plugin
  2. if not soon, could you push me a little in the right direction on how to initialize based on TXP categories?

Thanks again. This is the nicest non-flash gallery I’ve seen to date.

Last edited by mrdale (2007-02-22 18:18:41)

#89 2007-02-22 18:41:47

rloaderro
Archived Plugin Author
Website

mrdale wrote:

1. Any eta on the plugin
  2. if not soon, could you push me a little in the right direction on how to initialize based on TXP categories?

This weekend for sure. I will try to copy the features/syntax of smd_slimbox, since that seems to be pretty developed, with a nice following, and of course uses mootools as well. Again sorry for the delay, but I promise to have it for next week!

#90 2007-02-22 19:48:55

mrdale
Website

>rloaderro
bq. Again sorry for the delay, but I promise to have it for next week!

Are you kidding? It’s all gravy, thanks.

For those interested in a temporary hack to let you play around with this, you can use wet_for_each_image in the following way…

window.onload = function() { 
myShow = new Slideshow('slideshow', {hu: '/images/', images: [<txp:wet_for_each_image category="your_category_here" >'{id}.jpg',</txp:wet_for_each_image>'some_image_number_here.jpg'], other_slideshow_attributres_here}); 
}
</script>

Then

1. replace “your_category_here” with one of your image categories
  2. replace ‘some_image_number_here’ with any image number (so the list of images doesn’t end in a ‘,’
  3. delete “other_slideshow_attributres_here” or replace it with some slideshow attributes
  4. make sure you have a div with id=“slideshow” containing a placeholder image

Have fun! I did.
#make sure you are loading “slideshow” and “mootools” in your head

Last edited by mrdale (2007-02-22 19:49:45)

#91 2007-02-23 00:11:11

mrdale
Website

I’ve been using this framing technique to add a nice transparent .png frame to my images. It basically, places an absolutely positioned element (with the same dimensions) inside the parent div, but above the image (under normal circumstances).

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to work with this slideshow, which I can see uses all kinds of z-index magic.

Any thoughts on how I could get it to work?

[edit/Update] I can get around this by using another div wrapped around the one called by the slideshow script… Looks like the script get’s rid of anything else in the div other than images, no?

Last edited by mrdale (2007-02-23 00:21:29)

#92 2007-03-01 17:23:31

rloaderro
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Discussion of the new plugin (v2) has been moved here. The new plugin does not maintain compatibility with any older versions, as such these 10 pages of commentary or so should not be used for reference. (In fact if there was a way to close this thread… ).

Last edited by rloaderro (2007-03-01 17:24:06)

#93 2010-02-09 03:25:21

sbaldino

I installed the plugin and it works great in IE. In Firefox, Safari and Chrome, however, it remains a static image. Ive followed this thread and tried several of the suggestions including linking the externals and modifying the tag attributes. I also tried using js=“1” and js=“2” to no avail. What am I doing wrong?

Board footer