Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2006-08-29 15:58:39

jmuspratt
Website

Re: Widescreen, a photoblog template

Sorry to be MIA for a while there. Let me try to go in order.

Magicrob and Neil-

“the offset was making it do strange things.”

That’s for sure. My thought was that as long as the “about” article had the most recent published date, then I could reliably replace it with a link to the about section (yoursite.com/about) by using the offset and a section link: sort of what we used to call a “landing page” in the old days. It’s possible I’m missing something and this doesn’t work all the time. Thoughts? Neil — many thanks for explaining the forms and pages; I should probably include a general caveat that it helps to know TXP pretty well before installing this.

Kingkong – Did you remember to edit truist’s plugin to turn clean URLs on?

Damien – Looks like another plugin installation problem. I’m no expert on this stuff. Sorry!

Manitu – You modify the custom field names in Admin > Preferences > Advanced Preferences

In other news, Flickr just came out with geotagging (integrated with Yahoo maps, it appears). Hard to keep up with those people.

#50 2006-08-29 21:48:30

NeilA
Website

Good to see you back James!

OK, I can see now how the offset works (just reset the date on the ‘about’ article’) – but you are right, that’s not reliable.
Being unimaginative, can I suggest splitting the ‘about/contact’ link on the top nav bar into two separate links?
So ‘about’ goes to the about ‘page’, and contact to the contact form?
Then there wouldn’t be any need for the links on the left…

Just a (boring) thought. :-)

Neil – Blue Mountains, Australia

http://westserve.org
http://ministrygrounds.net.au

#51 2006-09-05 01:35:41

chinesedream

Hi, I am new to TXP, and the site is the first attempt I try to learn the application.
After many hours of hair pulling, I finally got the image showing up however the “archive” and “about” links are not working.
There isn’t anything in about page yet by the way.

Right now I have 3 articles in testing. Under the Content > Articles, the IDs of the articles are 1, 2 and 3, when I click on “view’, it shows me 404 error – you can see the page here – http://b.zhujili.com/archive/1/

Under the Content > Images, the three images are also assigned to ID 1, 2, 3. Is that right? I thought ID is unique and can only have one in entire site. The image pages are working fine when ‘view’ is clicked. – http://b.zhujili.com/images/1.jpg

Here is the site: http://b.zhujili.com/
Help please!

Very nice template by the way.

tee

Last edited by chinesedream (2006-09-05 12:14:56)

#52 2006-09-06 16:19:46

jmuspratt
Website

Hi Tee,

Although you’ve turned clean URLs on in the Textpattern admin area, I think you need to modify your .htaccess file. Read more about it in the faq and at textbook.

Good luck!

#53 2006-09-06 19:22:50

chinesedream

Hi James, thanks for the response.

I see I forgot to make the permenent link mode to messy.
Acutally I haven’t been able to make the clean URL works. As soon as I uploaded it, the server 500 occurs. I spent quite a bit of time on FAQ and at textbook as well as the forum where everybody posted their working .htaceess files, still can’t make it work. My webhost, dreamhost does support clean url and I have visited its wiki page regarding the topic too.

Because I am not aware that the link problem I have with the site is caused by clean URL, so I thought I have this problem fixed first before I try tackle with the .htaccess file again.

This is the last version of my .htaccess file, can you please have a look.
Accroding to the wiki from dreamhost page and the example I see, the setting apears correct but I really don’t know anything about .htaccess.

DirectoryIndex index.php index.html
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteBase /

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c> RewriteEngine On RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR] RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d RewriteRule ^(.+) – [PT,L]

#This path should match the relative url of your Textpattern install
RewriteBase /
#If you’re using a section other than “tag”, change the following two rules accordingly
RewriteRule ^tag/([^/]+)$ tag/$1/ [R,L]
RewriteRule ^tag/(.+)/$ ?s=tag&t=$1

RewriteRule ^(.*) index.php </IfModule>

#php_value register_globals 0

ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType image/gif A2592000
ExpiresByType image/jpeg A2592000
ExpiresByType image/png A2592000

Thanks!
tee

Last edited by chinesedream (2006-09-06 21:56:29)

#54 2006-09-07 09:31:50

chinesedream

Hi, sorry it’s me again. Can someone tells me what I did wrong.
At the archive page, when you click on thumbnail, the comment box repeated on the left top corner.
Under the presentation > form, I only have one comment_form and I checked the code, nothing wrong.

Thanks!

tee

#55 2006-09-08 23:15:22

jmuspratt
Website

Tee —

Maybe a preferences issue? Check that “Automatically append comments to articles?” (last item in Admin > Prefs) is set to No.

#56 2006-09-10 03:20:04

chinesedream

James, thanks again! Yes, it was preferences issue.
I moved the TXP to the root directory, strange thing happens with .htaccess. With the original TXP’s .htaccess, without modifying anything, I am able to use the clean URLs, but as soon as I uploaded yours, the 500 error occur. I have asked my web host for help but haven’t gotten an answer yet, however, would like to know how important it is for these two lines in order for Widescreen template work smoothly:

RewriteRule tag/([/]+)$ tag/$1/ [R,L]
RewriteRule ^tag/(.+)/$ ?s=tag&t=$1

Best,

tee

#57 2006-09-18 00:23:30

jmuspratt
Website

Rich —

Looks like you’re sort of mixing the default installation with the widescreen templates. You’ve got the CSS and JS directories in the right place, but you need to replace all the forms and page templates with the widescreen ones (via Textpattern’s presentation tab), even if they have the same name. Your doc-head is calling the database CSS (instead of the widescreen.css file), and the front page template is including the default installation’s sidebar links (textbook, etc.)

At the moment, installing widescreen means creating a lot of page templates and forms with specific names, and then pasting a lot of text from the text files you downloaded into the admin area’s fields. Check the readme or post again if that doesn’t make sense.

edit: actually I can verify the CSS files are in the right place but not the JS files.

Last edited by jmuspratt (2006-09-18 00:25:56)

#58 2006-09-23 15:47:51

jasonwlangley
Website

Is there any way to make it so that when clicking a photograph, instead of going to the next image, it will open a larger version of the image, perhaps in a new window?

Thanks,
jason

Board footer