2. » Archives
  3. » drop down lists for custom fields

#73 2007-08-24 10:21:44

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

Re: drop down lists for custom fields

@loz
it doesn’t make sense to use a custom field for 1 thing in a certain situation and another thing in another situation. The whole custom fields idea is to have different “attributes” for various entities e.g. properties, products etc. If you’re using custom_1 for Price on article id #21, what would be the point of using the same custom_1 for Weight on article id #22?

As an update, I’m currently working on project with a hard deadline and thus I can’t spend time with the custom fields plugin. Although it’s 90% finished, I can’t wrap it up and release it just now. There is an alpha available though, so in case some of you are REALLY needing this plugin, get in touch private. I can’t give an ETA on this plugin, sorry : (.

#74 2007-08-24 14:17:17

marios
Archived Plugin Author

lozmatic wrote:

Quick question… can these custom-custom fields be applied to different templates?

What would make sense, would be to make custom_fields avaiable depending on a per section basis.

Example:

So articles in section A are using only custom_field no1 and no2
articles in section B are only using custom_filed3.
You would need this, if you supply the values from Section B as an argument to filter articles in section A, and thus preventing Users from entering values in the wrong fields.

I’d post this here as a suggestion ( may be for a possible futre addition ) not that much as a request.
May be it could be done by manipulating the DOM as it is done in ied_hide_in_admin.

However in any Case, I’m still in to support the budget.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#75 2007-08-24 17:45:49

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

marios wrote:

What would make sense, would be to make custom_fields avaiable depending on a per section basis.

the only reason i’m playing with expressionengine is because of this feature. if txp made it available (im assuming via a plugin since the developers don’t want this at all. i have no idea how this would turn textpatterns ‘focus’ awry or make things more difficult for endusers??? sencers reasoning kinda puzzled me) i’d drop EE in a heartbeat.

Last edited by iblastoff (2007-08-24 17:47:01)

#76 2007-08-24 18:05:41

marios
Archived Plugin Author

iblastoff wrote:

marios wrote:

iblastoff wrote:
bq… the only reason i’m playing with expressionengine is because of this feature. if txp made it available (im assuming via a plugin since the developers don’t want this at all. i have no idea how this would turn textpatterns ‘focus’ awry or make things more difficult for endusers??? sencers reasoning kinda puzzled me) i’d drop EE in a heartbeat.

The magic is, that it is already working from a Information Architecture view ( listaport like )
However it’s kind a tuff from a User perspective Interface like.

That is why Gerhards project is worth to go for, and it will be supported, at least by us.

Err, don’t want to hijack this thread though.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#77 2007-08-24 20:47:55

mrdale
Website

I’ll bite, and do a $20 donation. Just need to know an expected ETA.

#78 2007-08-24 20:53:52

progre55

Dale:

Not to speak on Gerhard’s behalf, but I believe that he is shooting for a Sept. 3 release.

I could be wrong, but I think that is the latest update.

FYI, testing is going well and like I said in an earlier post, this opens up TXP to an endless array of possibility to deliver the dynamic sites we all strive to create ….

progre55

Last edited by progre55 (2007-08-24 20:54:19)

#79 2007-09-10 19:18:36

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

sept 3 has rolled by! any news on this plugin? maybe it deserves a forum thread on its own?

#80 2007-09-12 08:29:25

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

iblastoff, marios, mrdale and everyone else following this thread, I’m wrapping up the last bits and shipping a beta release to the core TXP folks as we speak. Will create a separate thread as soon as the v 1.0 is out (there were enough betas and alfas already). The whole thing is going down this week, stay tuned ; ).

#81 2007-09-12 09:43:43

sthmtc
Website

gerhard wrote:

iblastoff, marios, mrdale and everyone else following this thread, I’m wrapping up the last bits and shipping a beta release to the core TXP folks as we speak. Will create a separate thread as soon as the v 1.0 is out (there were enough betas and alfas already). The whole thing is going down this week, stay tuned ; ).

wow, just wow.

#82 2007-09-12 09:45:00

marios
Archived Plugin Author

That sounds good. I can only imagine, how much work this is.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#83 2007-09-12 09:50:51

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

marios wrote:

That sounds good. I can only imagine, how much work this is.

Yes, it was, but it’s definitely worth it. I have almost 1,5k lines of code, it will get very close to 2k by the time it’s fully finished – not your weekend plugin : ).

I’m working on range values right now (yes, price ranges, area ranges etc.) and front-end functions (article, article_custom clones, search facility etc.). Things are really exciting under the hood!

#84 2007-09-12 10:04:22

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

gerhard i love the fact that you are prompt with updating your status on projects. cheers and looking forward to this still!

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » drop down lists for custom fields

Board footer