Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#673 2010-03-21 12:23:19

merz1
Website

Re: tru_tags: A tagging plugin for textpattern

No idea :(
Diagnosis? Missing files?
Change the TXP status from ‘live’ to ‘debug’ and check the output.

BTW: Parameter 404redirect="0" is new to me and Textbook search shows no hits. Is a documentation available/missing?

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#674 2010-03-21 13:53:09

truist
Plugin Author
Website

It seems likely that the articles in question are draft, are future-dated, or are in a section that is marked not searchable. Does one of those explain it?

Markus, 404redirect is a tru_tags attribute.

#675 2010-03-21 14:25:00

merz1
Website

Thanks Nathan, found the 404redirect explanation :)

If a tru_tags_handler is called for a tag that is no longer valid, it will redirect the user to the site’s default 404 page. You can override this behavior with the noarticles attribute, which accepts a URL that it will redirect to, instead. You can turn off this behavior by setting the 404redirect attribute to 0.

Could you elaborate the this behavior part of the explanation. To me it sounds like a double override.

1. default 404 page
  2. 404: ‘noarticles attribute’ sends visitor to user defined URL
  3. ‘404redirect attribute to 0’ switches off what? What will show up?

What’s the logic?

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#676 2010-03-21 17:05:54

kevinpotts

@truist — The problem was indeed the future dating of the articles. A single time attribute fixed everything. Thanks for the speedy response, as always. (And fantastic plugin … it’s been a key piece of my arsenal for years.)

Kevin
(graphicpush)

#677 2010-03-22 17:34:44

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Markus, I believe that setting it back to ‘0’ will revert the plugin back to the behavior before I implement the 404 feature – namely that the user will just get an empty page, with no articles.

#678 2010-03-22 18:06:05

merz1
Website

Nathan, thanks for the answer. Well, I am not using it anyway, but…

If you find time you might add a funny (4 line?) matrix table into the tru_tags documentation which will precisely show what to expect :-)

#679 2010-05-21 19:54:36

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Survey / Poll:

tru_tags currently has a problem where keywords with “hyphens-and spaces” don’t work. (Keywords with just hyphens or just spaces do work.) I have a user who has offered to implement a fix and submit a patch, but it will be cumbersome to fix it in a backwards-compatible way.

The way tru_tags currently handles spaces is by converting them to hyphens in URLs, and then converting hyphens back to spaces when querying the Textpattern database. The ideal fix would be to either use a less-likely character (like “+” or “—”), or to URLencode the keywords before putting them in URLs (so “with spaces” will become “with%20spaces” in URLs). The problem is that this would break bookmarks and any external links into your sites, which I have very carefully avoided doing in the past.

So, a two-part poll:

1) Which solution would you prefer: (a) a clean-looking but still non-standard character like “+” or “—” or (b) URLencoded keywords in URLs?

2) How important is it to you that we provide a “do it the old way” setting, so your old URLs still work the same way?

I can’t make a real poll here, so please just reply by making comments. Thanks!

#680 2010-05-21 20:34:03

alanfluff
Website

Hi Nathan,

1) If you’re going to bother to do this, then I assume someone might want a “+” or “—” as part of a tag name(!), so for those (edge case) people, URLencoded would be best. URLencoded seems the most complete solution if I understand this right.

2) I would say it was very important to provide a “do it the old way” facility for sites that are up and that spidered by the SE’s.

Cheers, -Alan

Last edited by alanfluff (2010-05-21 20:35:00)

At LAST I’ve cheerfully donated to the core devs at #TXP. I only wish I were able to give more. Thanks to the devs and ALL fellow TXPers. -A

#681 2010-05-21 20:37:34

alanfluff
Website

PS: It seems a chunk of work for you for no big gain. Presumably people are keep to loose the visual look of dashes in a tag cloud? jQuery etc could re-write those on the fly, as it’s arguably a presentational request.

Again, if I’ve understood this right ;)

At LAST I’ve cheerfully donated to the core devs at #TXP. I only wish I were able to give more. Thanks to the devs and ALL fellow TXPers. -A

#682 2010-05-22 10:25:35

merz1
Website

1) I don’t care

2) Very Not so important (because I have plenty of articles where I use tag links inside the article body. But on the other hand) I have no idea how many ‘n word’ tags I have used in the past inside article bodies but not too many.

2a) Give me a database filter and I clean up the mess :)
2b) SEO wise it’s the same. ‘N word tags’ are seldom and search engines will adopt in a matter of days.

3) But I like the ‘hyphen way’ tru_tags is working now. Does that count as an argument?
3a) Building external URLs with tru_tags (eg Amazon widgets) is safe with hyphens. I am not sure about other characters.
3a1) For Amazon search links I already use striphyphens="1" urlencode="1".
3a2) Because of bad performance all Amazon widgets are already deleted.

Go ahead as you like :)

#683 2010-06-03 13:56:38

pfctdayelise
Website

Hi,

I’ve been using tru_tags on a few Textpattern sites for as long as I knew about it.
I recently redid my friend’s site and noticed the snippets on tag pages were displaying “special characters” poorly. Mainly I think characters are escaped that shouldn’t be.
I saw that in tru_tags 3.5 there is a comment that “Fixed problems with multi-byte (utf-8, unicode, international) characters.” so I upgraded. But I still have bad output:
compare
http://www.clntranslations.org/tag/social-security/
to
http://www.clntranslations.org/search-results/?q=social+security

I have unticked the box “Convert tags to lowercase by default” under Extensions. I’m running tru_tags 3.6 on Textpattern 4.2.0.

On my tag page I have

<txp:tru_tags_handler form="search_results"/>

this form is also called by my search page, although slightly differently:

<txp:article limit="100" searchform="search_results" />

I tried changing the tru_tags_handler attribute to searchform, but it didn’t fix the smart quotes problem.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Brianna

#684 2010-06-03 14:54:39

truist
Plugin Author
Website

pfctdayelise – the problem is probably with a tag in your search_results form. I’ll bet you’re using something like the TXP tag search_term which won’t work with tru_tags (because it specifically looks for the ‘q’ parameter. Can you paste the contents of your search_results form?

Board footer