Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2006-03-02 23:18:06

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Re: Improving TXP Image Management

I would say hash it out in the forum, but as discussion goes along add to the wiki about it. (Particularly if say some kind of stalemate gets reached over one thing or another. Then you could state there a summary on the difference of opinion and the reasons involved, then move on to another aspect rather than have the conversation cease.)

A straight feature list as part of the discussion is only really helpful if you can state the reason(s) for wanting x, y or z; don’t anyone assume it’s obvious. Try and look beyond what you personally would look for; imagine yourself in someone else’s shoes.

What you guys have already been doing is good. You can point out other software, but in context: “Here’s what ___ does, and this is why I love/hate it”.

I think it best to not start another thread, then we end up with split efforts. You can always have a forum’s moderator or any admin rename the thread. A situation where I can see starting a new thread would be one where the conversation gets severely hijacked (not only does PunBB not have the ability to split topics, it’s rarely able to be done in a clean and non-confusing way). At that point start a new thread, then “report” the original one so someone can move it to the Dead Letter Office.

#26 2006-03-03 00:34:23

neutrino
Website

> ma_smith wrote:

Man, my thread has been utterly abductified. :)

Sorry Matt. ;(

As a forum administrator, how do you recommend to get the community to weigh in on those three topics in a clean and deliberate way?

I hope it (the forum) will have polls.

Last edited by neutrino (2006-03-04 23:03:02)

#27 2006-03-03 02:41:47

hakjoon
Website

Bastian,

That looks awesome. I started playing with tweaking img_popper in a similar fashion. Using tabs to separate the functionality some. I’d love to co-operate on something if you want.

I really want to try to flesh out the upm_image tags though. I think they fill a huge void in image manipulation and if anything be done as a plugin and then rolled easily into the core they would be it. Also I think if they are separate from img_popper other plugins might take advantage of them instead of us always re-inventing the wheel.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#28 2006-03-03 02:58:01

Bastian
Plugin Author
Website

hakjoon,

>I’d love to co-operate on something if you want.
Yes, i will. In good times and in bad times :)

I would suggest:
I merge my work to an plugin, that handles that AJAX-Tab loading and then we see how to go on.

Edit: typo, english don’t likes me

Last edited by Bastian (2006-03-03 02:59:56)

#29 2006-03-03 05:36:15

squaredeye
Website

I hereby announce the marriage of Hakjoon and Bastian who henceforth shall develop plugins for better or worse, through thick and thin, whether ill or well… Now you may kiss, well the plugin!

Bastian, Thanks for the addition to the WIKI.

Neutrino, how does one get a poll going?

Mary, if you are still following this, would you be willing to rename the entry to this post? I think it would best be called : TXP Image Limitations / uses / and YOUR solutions? Any objections, suggestions?

I will edit the main post to include the suggested structure. If those of you who are following this now are willing to begin following the gist of those instructions, I think we may get somewhere. I will be updating our findings/thoughts on the WIKI for further documentation and hopefully, at some point, implementation.

Hakjoon, does this sound kosher to you?

Thanks all,

Matthew

#30 2006-03-03 09:55:15

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

The topic has been renamed, and also moved to a more appropriate location.

Last edited by Mary (2006-03-03 09:55:28)

#31 2006-03-04 22:59:13

neutrino
Website

ma_smith wrote:

Neutrino, how does one get a poll going?

I (think) there is a module to punBB but it might not be compatable with the new upgrade. If that wouldn’t work there are various PHP scripts out there that can be set up to do polls. I thought polls would be good here as there are loads of questions that come up that need a quick response. Easy way for anyone running/facilitating/moderating/developing to say: “Hey, we went with the majority”.

There’s also a TXP plugin that could be added to someone’s site — I think Mary did that once.

Edit: Here’s the mod. It “looks like” it might still be good. —Search the forum for the short post — enter “polls”.— Nevermind here is the post, as of 3/1 it is being recommended.

Last edited by neutrino (2006-03-04 23:14:19)

#32 2006-03-05 03:00:34

squaredeye
Website

Nuetrino,
I wonder if this kind of thing is available on the WIKI end of things? It might be good to get some feedback there, where all the information is stored?
Hmm. I’ll think on this one.

For others, viewing the post. I am quite interested in your feedback on image handling. It seems this matters to a great many people, but we can’t come up with a system on our own.

:) Matthew

#33 2006-03-05 04:14:07

squaredeye
Website

Also, please note I have added wordpress’ method of uploading/posting images to an article at the WIKI.

#34 2006-03-06 04:54:10

squaredeye
Website

Okay, I must like my own picture too much. Or I like Pink Floyd lyrics to much “is anybody out in there?”

Okay, so I’ve started a set of polls, and I need your help getting them out there. If I should move them or announce them in a different space, please make a suggestion. For now, I hope to achieve some understanding of where this communities image needs are. Hakjoon, this is still your baby, I hope this is a good direction to take this? Never heard back from you. :)

You can see the polls here
Unless you figure out a way to hack this poll and you happen to be absolutely cuckoo about needing change for the txp image handling you will only be able to vote once, so make it count.

There are four polls. Should be clear. Let me know if I have confounded and confused like only satan can, or if I have made things less than befuddling.

I think more poll questions can be asked, but I can’t think of any right now. Any Ideas?

Matthew

edit I fixed the “how many images question, in case anyone wanted to vote on that.

Last edited by ma_smith (2006-03-06 13:22:24)

#35 2006-03-06 23:12:10

justanother

hello,

first of all, i have to say that i’m really impressed by what’s going on here lately… but now to the image management: what about an integration of an existing gallery system like gallery2 or 4images?
imho the screenshot of the interface bastion posted is really great for articles, but the image handling of txp isn’t designed for a ‘real’ gallery with hundreds of hundreds of photos, is it?
i thought i just post in this image management thread, and i’m curious what you guys think about an embbed gallery system?

thomas

#36 2006-03-06 23:54:26

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

justanother,

I like the idea of an embedded image gallery, this way we can handle 1000’s of images.

My idea is to find one that is along the same lines as TXP, light footprint but has enough functionality to get the job done. Gallery2 is very nice but is huge, 4images’ license would be a hindrance to share the code since it’s not GPL.

Presently, I’m testing singapore, PhotoStack, Plogger and Zenphoto.

Board footer