Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#325 2008-02-19 13:33:19

masa

Re: Improving TXP Image Management

jameslomax wrote:

Martin, I think feature requests have been covered very well already. I said myself, a long time ago, multi column images would be a simple and big improvement.

Sure, it’s just that this thread has grown huge and the information is scattered all around.
That’s why I think it might be a good idea to summarize it and perhaps just post it as a new thread under plugin requests.

Anyway, I’m at a bit of a loss here: more than enough members have expressed interest and quite a few are willing to fund the development of this plugin. What else can we do?

One or two did say they were interested, but then went silent.

Maybe it is way more difficult than we can imagine?

Cheers Martin

#326 2008-02-19 13:51:05

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

masa wrote:

Devs: are there any plans to address this in 4.1.0 ?

Certainly not to the extent you listed here. Not because it isn’t a worthwhile goal, but our focus for 4.1 is elsewhere (subsections, unlimited categories).

#327 2008-02-19 19:31:57

masa

wet wrote:

…but our focus for 4.1 is elsewhere (subsections, unlimited categories).

That is great to hear!

#328 2008-02-19 21:59:29

jameslomax
Website

masa wrote: Anyway, I’m at a bit of a loss here: more than enough members have expressed interest and quite a few are willing to fund the development of this plugin. What else can we do

I agree. Its really up to the plug in developers, and if they want to work on this. As I recall, one of the last topics discussed here was improving the txp core. I think for some people this is what they wanted and what they were always talking about – which is a matter for the devs really and unless someone has the same skill they do and can start hacking the txp code, there’s no point in having that discussion.

A plug in though is another matter – less work, and it can be done independently of txp development.

By all means try and attract attention again, but for myself I’ve already done that and think what this now needs is someone saying they’re interested in working on it.

#329 2008-02-19 22:20:05

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

A summary of the key ideas in the thread wouldn’t be a bad idea from anyone who’s recently trawled through it. Been a looong time since I read it and I remember there were some cool ideas.

However, I think James is right, that a lot of the functionality required some big changes to the core. Changes that are more than likely part of the xpattern spec. And since the major players championing this (mrdale, ma_smith to name two) are involved with xpattern it’d be a fair bet that’s where the action is.

I can’t recall if this thread was solely about the admin side or if some of the proposed solutions were in client-side tags. upm_image certainly goes a helluva long way towards providing good image output. And from a gallery standpoint, the beta version of smd_gallery is shaping up well for those that want a bit more power/flexibility in getting stuff out of the database.

iblastoff has also been busy with:

Sure, they’re plugins and not core, but they do help a lot with image management. Does any of that lot address some of the issues?

Last edited by Bloke (2008-02-19 22:20:37)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#330 2008-02-21 14:59:11

jameslomax
Website

Had a look at yours dude, bloke I mean, but unfortunately its too technical for me. I can only cope with very minimal tweaking and coding.
The browse_by plug in was a great discovery, though of course it doesn’t load up into the images page.

My guess is, it could be modified a little, quite easily, and be a useful and necessary addition to image management.

#331 2008-02-21 18:19:04

masa

jameslomax wrote:

The browse_by plug in was a great discovery, though of course it doesn’t load up into the images page.

It sure loads here in the images tab allowing me to quickly select any category, both under 4.0.5 and 4.0.6.

#332 2008-02-21 19:23:26

jameslomax
Website

It was conflicting with ebl_BatchUpload, which I’ve now disabled.

Anyway, back to the topic in question.

What gives, with all this discussion, the great ideas, and where this all went?……

44474 views: one of the major discussions at this forum.

Last edited by jameslomax (2008-03-06 20:26:20)

#333 2008-05-09 14:05:44

frangarcia
Website

I think it would be nice to have the possibility to manage de images as well as the articles can be managed using a massive way to do some actions, like changing the category, the author or just deleting them. Maybe there is already a plugin which can do it, but I haven’t found anything and I think that should be in the core of textpattern.

Does anyone know a plugin who acts like this?

What doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger

#334 2008-05-15 07:17:58

masa

frangarcia wrote:

I think it would be nice to have the possibility to manage de images as well as the articles can be managed using a massive way to do some actions, like changing the category, the author or just deleting them

There’s no plugin, but this might be addressed fairly soon

Last edited by masa (2008-05-15 07:18:30)

#335 2008-05-16 20:10:40

MarcoK
Plugin Author
Website

hem… 34 page it’s too long for reading.
Cai I ask a little explication text af all in the firt post?

So… You have decided something to change in next release?

#336 2008-05-17 09:49:23

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Since the first post was over 2 years ago and quite a few new versions were released in the mean time, the answer is no.

Board footer