Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#301 2007-01-09 19:57:46

mrdale
Website

Re: Improving TXP Image Management

OK, so I meant the presentation tab.

I like to keep clients away from the structure tab ‘cause that’s my job, not theirs. They can add a category with the content tab. Then upload images with captions and with categories assigned.

Then I use something like stw_category_tree to output an image categories list for nav. I add this nav on pages where I use rss_thumbpop

That’s it really…

#302 2007-01-09 22:30:03

Mike Montgomery
Website

Thanks! I’ll take a look at stw_category_tree.

(I did realize you meant the presentation tab.)

#303 2007-01-09 22:31:01

Mike Montgomery
Website

BTW, just re-read the original question, and here’s my thoughts:

I use images in my:
  • personal blog — in articles (using zem_article_image)
  • client sites — some in articles, but for photographers I use wet_for_each_image and upm_image, as well as ebl_batchupload.
  • to create image galleries on photographers’ websites
I would like to see the following functionality:
  • Need bulk uploading, with auto-thumbnail and auto-resize.
  • The image tag should behave similarly to the article tag (agree with MrDale’s proposals at the image feature request page)
  • implementation of the kind of functionality found in Mary’s/Hakjoon’s img_popper plugin
  • image category lists(?)
I would like to help think through the implications of such functionality in this way
  • contribute to a ransom for an images super-plugin
  • beta-tester for such a plugin(?)
  • consider buying a “TxP Pro” version, if you ever do that kind of thing

I realize most of that isn’t original, so just count this as an endorsement.

#304 2007-01-10 06:59:49

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Would be a good Idea also, to leave an option, to
  • import EXIF data on Bulk-upload, ( could go into caption field of image_table )
  • provide a custom TXP tag eg.: <txp:image_exif data="basic" limit="10" /> or something

( The ebl_batchupload thing is cool, but unfortunately it will strip the exif data off )

I have muddled my way half through, how this can be done, researching everything available on this subject including exifier.php .
A more reliable and solid solution, that would not depend on extra compiled php stuff and such, I think would be the way to go.

regards, marios
( support for that specific feature could be given from my side )

Last edited by marios (2007-01-10 07:03:40)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#305 2007-01-10 11:40:03

mrdale
Website

Would be a good Idea also, to leave an option, to import EXIF data on Bulk-upload, ( could go into caption field of image_table )

fpx_image_import can do this.

#306 2007-01-10 13:36:50

marios
Archived Plugin Author

mrdale wrote:

marios wrote: bq. Would be a good Idea also, to leave an option, to import EXIF data on Bulk-upload, ( could go into caption field of image_table )

fpx_image_import can do this.

Unfortunately it doesn’t work ( at least not on my local installs ) using version 4.0.4

I’ve checked for this specifically with files that came straight from my memory card ( Nikon D-70s).

But in any case something more solid, would be probably the way to go, like exifier
( I tested that one locally, and apart from some encoding Issues in the output strings it worked remarkably well, and it displays every single bit of exif DATA that the Camara has . Not sure though on how many Camaras it works though )

Meantime, I started to examine every single image or Gallery plugin one by one, to see what there is, and how it could be reused.
(haven’t finished yet)

But the exif thing is something that many folks would like to have ( Like professional Photograhers, etc)
At a bare minimum, this would be at least desired:

Camara model, exposure, focal length, shutter, ISO settings, date, width, height, GammutColormode .

( BTW.: , since the caption field is already used up by a couple of those plugins:
Adding two additional rows to txp_image ?. Just a thought )

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-01-10 15:17:14)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#307 2007-01-10 14:32:16

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

I feel a strong necessity for a cropping/resizing feature, especially for creating thumbs. The Pivotlog model I see in the textbook is a good example. Any plan on this?

Thanks

Z

#308 2007-01-24 06:50:10

masa

Skubidu wrote:

For a website at my university I really needed a better image organisation. So I startet to work on a plugin that solves my problems: I called it nhn_image_organizer. It’s really in an early state but you can search, sort and group your images.

Hi Nils,

hope everything’s fine at your end!

After getting us all excited with the screen snap I was wondering whether the project is still alive? :-)

Cheers Martin

#309 2007-05-24 22:55:59

masa

Well, there’s another promising effort that apparently just withered away – too bad :-(

#310 2007-05-29 18:28:07

jameslomax
Website

Yes it is disappointing. I don’t know what happened exactly, but Bastian was at one point developing his plugin and it was looking great – even more than it already is.

A similar thing happened with AlbumPattern – just died away.

Request: if, for whatever reason, someone can’t continue with a project (which is fair enough), could we have a forum section called something like ‘Developer Take Over’, or ‘Developer Project’, where someone could announce they can’t continue, and then make the code available to others to take to the next stage? Seems like a good community idea….

#311 2007-05-29 18:51:53

masa

That sounds like a very fine idea to me.

My heart always breaks, when such interesting plug-in ideas die an early death ;-)
I don’t have any PHP skills, but would be more than willing to fund development of these plug-ins.

#312 2007-05-29 19:26:39

squaredeye
Website

Hey folks :)
I would really encourage you to think about funding a project like this one. Its a matter of resources. If this is something you want to see move forward then I would highly recommend you consider funding a developer to do it. The more that I do this work myself, the more I understand why projects like this go by the wayside. You could even work out a system with a developer to have the work done for you personally and then sell the plugin one at a time. There are tons of models for this kind of thing.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Board footer