Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#265 2006-08-08 16:17:53

masa

Re: Improving TXP Image Management

ma_smith wrote:

• batch upload (with category creation) (I think someone’s working on something like this as we speak) – can’t remember the name of the plugin in my morning haze.

Eric is the author and the thread is <a href=“http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=17703”>here</a>.

Cheers Martin

#266 2006-08-08 21:25:55

Bastian
Plugin Author
Website

Matthew. Thanks for this fast response.

Is that helpful?

Yes! I will have a closer look to the older posts and restart with my input. Promised :)

#267 2006-08-13 23:02:45

jameslomax
Website

ma_smith wrote:

revision to upm_img_popper with better customization of links for insertion and style, etc.
better image management in the image tab (sorting, searching, etc) (I think some of this is in SVN for the next release, if not crockery)
better image organization. The need for folders etc when users have sometimes hundreds of images.
possibility for creation of multiple thumbnails per image
better image manipulation/editing
image post at write tab
mage upload at write tab
batch upload (with category creation) (I think someone’s working on something like this as we speak) – can’t remember the name of the plugin in my morning haze.

To which I would add Bas, the important point about designing image navigation. The existing txp style is a one column display, and this is very bad design. It is clumsy, inefficient use of white space, making you scroll far too much and more than necessary. There are good examples of good design – both myself and someone else provided images of multi column interfaces (although my image will quite soon be deleted, because I’m closing down my account on that server), and you can also consider Adobe Bridge.

I think the other point that needs emphasising is recent remarks about changing the txp core. I was disappointed because I said a long time ago that changing the txp core is the maximum amount of work, that could mean waiting six months, twelve months or even longer, before these great ideas ever become real. My own preference is for a plug in, which could be built more easily and quickly.

#268 2006-09-17 09:07:18

jameslomax
Website

Bastian wrote:

@James: How about having an option to show the img wizard thing above the body-textarea.
Make it user’s choice to load it on click or on default. Is that working for you?

Say Bas, are you still working on this?

J.

#269 2006-09-18 16:04:53

masa

ma_smith wrote:

• better image organization. The need for folders etc when users have sometimes hundreds of images.

In that context I’d love to see one feature in particular:
a clean-up function that could find & delete any unused images.

Also just having a check mark displayed alongside each, individual image indicating whether it’s in use or not, would be very helpful.

Cheers Martin

#270 2006-09-18 16:31:19

jameslomax
Website

#271 2006-09-20 00:53:30

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Next to the “search” input needs to be a dropdown for image categories (to filter). The site I just setup, an online magazine, is starting to have problems managing their monthly images (image cat=MonthYear) for the two months of images posted. An image-category dropdown would make finding images a lot easier.

Last edited by jm (2006-09-20 00:54:47)

#272 2006-10-04 21:44:25

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Hi everyone,

Taking a look at the wiki pages today, I had a look at the proposed tag syntax, which looks really nice.
However, what I would like to know (Couldn’t definitely find out from there) is, if I can call an image just by
name (eg. derived from the filename) omitting the ID altogether.

In other words: will there be an extra field for the filename that ties to attributes in the img tags?
I’d definitely like to see this happen, implemented, somehow.

(Also, if the img admin interface get’s bypassed and upload happens behind txp’s back, would TXP still be able,
to bulk auto insert the img data into the database, which was the case with Andreas Banzes wonderful
img plugin.The Folder – Category association inside the roots import Folder makes much sense as well in my opinion)

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2006-10-04 21:53:47)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#273 2006-10-05 18:56:46

Ace of Dubs

Have you guys checked out Mephisto ?

They have a very compelling way of adding files to articles.

#274 2006-10-06 10:12:44

jameslomax
Website

Hmm, this thread appears to have crystallised into comments and discussion about core txp coding. Nuttin’ wrong with that – in fact its great, if image handling will be improved in an out-of-the-box install – but may I refer to some previous posts of a few months ago, when plug ins were also on the agenda.

Thing is, if this subject is construed only in terms of core development, its the maximum work and maximum time – 6 months, 12, who knows? Whereas a plug in can do the job just as well and, further, a few already exist that could be developed just a little more, in line with the ideas at this thread.

Anyone working on a plug in?

#275 2006-10-06 12:27:50

squaredeye
Website

My guess is that we are waiting on 4.04.
Hakjoon and Skubidu and Bastian and Mary and Wet are our most promising candidates for strong plugin development when its image related (as history has shown us). I hope I didn’t leave anyone out?

I bet you could drum up some support and speed by creating a plugin request and throwing some money behind it.

Matthew :)

#276 2006-10-06 15:57:27

rloaderro
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Ace of Dubs wrote:

Have you guys checked out Mephisto ?

They have a very compelling way of adding files to articles.

Yes, it’s an interesting take! Kind of a like a video game.

To be honest I have started using the hak_tinymce plugin as of version 0.6.1 and have found that it now pretty much eliminates the need for any other image plugin – if you haven’t already, you should check it out! I still prefer textile myself, but for clients having the WYSIWYG is a huge boon for ease-of-use…

Travel Atlas * Org | Start Somewhere

Board footer