Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2008-01-04 05:48:09

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Re: ied_plugin_composer - new plugins never came that easy

Bloke

many thanks and congratulations on this bit of work. I have another idea for this that I’ll contact you about.

Edit Might be worth updating the help to mention the fact that the style section isn’t run through textile.

Last edited by net-carver (2008-01-04 05:56:12)

Steve

#38 2008-01-04 09:23:19

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Thanks for the kind words guys. I too use the plugin_composer exclusively, but to not support Steve’s amazing Plugin Help Viewer seemed a criminal waste of code considering it was an extra 5 lines of PHP to add Textile support. And while I was at it… well, I can’t leave anything alone, sorry Yura :-)

@variaas

Very useful update, I’ll roll that into the next release if you don’t mind. I’m in discussion with Steve (net-carver) about a few possible changes, so the next rev should be just round the corner. I want to get some feedback on the plugin upload-from-template facility first, because I’m not convinced it’ll work for everyone due to quoting issues: damn magic quotes.

@hakjoon

I’ll second the ‘Community’ plugin aspect. For instance I can’t modify the OP to mention or point to the new version. Anyone any ideas on best practices for this type of thing? The “central repository” idea has been done to death on the forum and I don’t know if there was a definite best direction suggested.

Ooh, one other thing: can you (or anyone) please confirm that this still works with TinyMCE? I didn’t have it installed so left that part of the code exactly as it was. My guess is there have been a truckload of updates to TinyMCE since ied_plugin_composer was last looked at, so it may not work any more. Is it even needed any more with Textile support in there?

Cheers.

Last edited by Bloke (2008-01-04 09:26:16)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#39 2008-01-04 09:30:38

Inspired
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote:

Hopefully Yura won’t mind that I’ve hacked his work of art :-)

Instead, I want to thank you for taking up the job :-) Enjoy everyone!

Plugin Composer — admin plugin to write your own plugins

#40 2008-01-04 09:49:11

Inspired
Plugin Author
Website

variaas wrote:

Can anyone else recommend a solution to have the textarea highlight php code?

Check this one also: http://www.codepress.org
(EditArea is very impressive though, especially the full screen feature)

Plugin Composer — admin plugin to write your own plugins

#41 2008-01-04 19:47:05

hakjoon
Website

I wrote a plugin that integrates EditArea with TXP I think the current version doesn’t add it to ied_plugin_composer but it’s cake to do if someone wants to run with it.

I was also looking at codepress. I like it a little more then editarea.

As far as the TinyMCE integration goes hak_tinyMCE allows you to move the TinyMCE install around now so plugin composer would have to be updated to pull the proper paths. We would also need toggles similar to the write tab to determine if Textile should be processed or not.

I’d be happy to work with someone on getting that all working if people think the integration is worthwhile. Unfortunately I’m kind of short on extra time lately.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#42 2008-01-04 20:51:59

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

hakjoon wrote:

I was also looking at codepress. I like it a little more then editarea.

If you prefer codepress then I’d say we look at that instead. I’ve not used either so I’ll go with whatever anyone says! What do you think variaas? Any preference? Or somehow support both if possible?

As far as the TinyMCE integration goes… we would also need toggles similar to the write tab to determine if Textile should be processed or not.

OK, do I take it that the latest version of hak_tinyMCE can make someone’s highlighted words (afer clicking, say, B) into *the words* instead of <b>the words</b> depending on the toggle setting? Or does TinyMCE always output html and it has to be unmunged back into Textile when the plugin is saved? Sorry, I’m not up to speed on what it does yet; or how.

I’d be happy to work with someone on getting that all working if people think the integration is worthwhile. Unfortunately I’m kind of short on extra time lately.

Sweet, let’s hook up if there’s a call for it. Personally I’m a keyboard geek and the less time I can use with a mouse the happier I am — unless it’s Unreal Tournament 2004 :-D — but folks wth a better eye for style might prefer the WYSIWYG approach to help authoring. Certainly with the Plugin Help Viewer backing up the Plugin Composer it’s far less of an issue imo, although that is only available for plugins authored via the plugin_cache_dir. What say the masses?

[ btw, I think all I’ll need is a copy of the tinymce plugin and a shove in the right direction — a brief overview of how it does what it does and the lines of code that do the relevant dirty work will probably do! ]

Last edited by Bloke (2008-01-04 21:03:22)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#43 2008-01-04 21:34:58

variaas
Plugin Author
Website

So I tested out EditArea vs. CodePress and here’s a quick breakdown of the wins that the other doesn’t have:

EditArea
  • Full Screen option – this is great when editing the plugin
  • Search/Replace – ctrl+f gives you the options to search or replace text
  • Indention – so this is a toss up but when you indent and go to the next line it auto-indents to the same position as the previous line
  • Plugin architecture
CodePress
  • Auto Insertion – it will automatically close curly brackets and parentheses
  • Code Snippets – type ‘if’ and hit [tab] will complete all the brackets for you
  • Can highlight html and php at the same time

grr – I’m caught between two great editors. I like EditArea for the full screen option, and CodePress for the ability to highlight php and html simultaneously. The full screen is more important to me since I like a larger screen space when editing, so I’m voting for EditArea.

P.S.: You can download 0.5a from post #36 to try out editArea. You will need to upload editArea to your textpattern/ folder.

#44 2008-01-04 21:36:08

hakjoon
Website

Bloke wrote:
OK, do I take it that the latest version of hak_tinyMCE can make someone’s highlighted words (afer clicking, say, B) into *the words* instead of <b>the words</b> depending on the toggle setting? Or does TinyMCE always output html and it has to be unmunged back into Textile when the plugin is saved? Sorry, I’m not up to speed on what it does yet; or how.

Right now it just does HTML so when you use you need to set “Leave Text Untouched” for the Use Textile options. I’d love to make it spit out textile. I have an idea on how to do it but I haven’t had time to prototype it yet.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#45 2008-01-07 01:13:01

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

OK, v0.6 is out (compressed version).

New stuff:

• Built-in help viewer thanks to Steve (net-carver) that now works on “internal” (database-installed) plugins as well as ones in the plugin_cache_dir
  • Support for Edit Area (thanks variaas). Support also tentatively added for CodePress but I had issues with it (see the help) so I’ve uncommented it for now. Anyone with a bigger brain than me with a fix to stop it deleting the hunk of code, I’m all ears. The way in which editors are implemented means they are probably extensible if anyone stumbles upon a brilliant one
  • Support for importing/exporting the code in the standard template format with either the Code block first or the Help block first
  • Support for Tiny MCE is still the same (i.e. probably not working). On the ToDo list if people think it’s worthwhile
  • New setup button to display a prefs screen to control all the above (needs a bit of work but the idea is there)
  • A few bug fixes to stop the rogue newlines appearing in the PHP output, and also a fix to stop duplicate <style> tags from being adding erroneously to the Style block. I still think there might be an issue with the Plugin Upload and quoting. If anyone has any tales, get in touch.

Take it for a spin and let me know how it fares.

#46 2008-01-07 05:21:46

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Stef

very nice!

Steve

#47 2008-01-07 05:28:21

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

not sure about the rest of you but i’ve always found using edit_area and codepress to be rather slow when editing a typical mid to large sized plugin (this is using FF 2.0.1.1. i also tried using the latest FF 3 beta which is supposed to have improved js support but then i found edit_area rather buggy in it)

for example when you’re in the middle of plugin code and press enter, you can notably tell the whole screen having to redraw and shift down the code.

Last edited by iblastoff (2008-01-07 05:29:19)

#48 2008-01-07 05:57:12

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Stef

just noticed that if I try editing ied_plugin_composer in itself, that the style section isn’t correctly being pulled into the style edit area.

In addition, could you explain a little more how I can control the order of sections when the plugin is saved as a php file.

Many thanks,

Steve

Board footer