Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#193 2006-02-28 03:05:16

zem
Developer Emeritus

Re: [feedback] How to bring txp back on track ? Let's debate !

textpattern.org has a Contact address (right sidebar, near the top). Send an email:

Hi Alicson,

I’m an enthusiastic Textpattern community member. What can I do to help textpattern.org?

Similarly, TextBook invites new contributors. Their Wish List page has a long list of topics; completing (or even starting a rough draft of) any of those would be a great help to the project.

Don’t forget Txp Magazine and Textgarden, they also invite contributions.

Last edited by zem (2006-02-28 07:33:20)

Alex

#194 2006-02-28 04:33:04

neutrino
Website

@ Destry

Good ideas, POVs. I hope we don’t loose all the good suggestions and that somehow we can encourage the cream to rise to the top. In the few months I’ve been here I’ve never seen so much enthusiasm (sure some are bent out of shape but Tat Tvam Asi).

Last edited by neutrino (2006-02-28 04:33:31)

#195 2006-02-28 04:56:19

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

This thread is the most Txp posts that I have read in a long time. It seems like the underlying problem is a perceived disconnect between the devs and everyone else. The extent and validity of this diconnect varies from person to person. I’ve been mostly absent from txp for a while (nardo deserves credit for preventing my complete detachment). It seems like there is this magical wall that surrounds svn. All patches pass through this wall and disappear without feedback. Some survive their journey, but many do not. Where did they go? Were they rejected? Are they sitting in a queue waiting for a dev to find a moment’s break from real life obligations? There are some that get a response, but those are gained from contant queries from the patch submitter. Plugin coding is liberating, but when an underlying feature needs work, I have generally felt like code submissions could be replaced by “cat my.patch > /dev/null”.

I’ve been a fan of Txp for many years, but as time progressed I felt like the distance between the devs and the rest of the community has increased. Would adding more devs make the txp project feel less like an aristocracy? Maybe, I don’t know, but including more of the community couldn’t hurt as much as it could help.

This may or may not make sense. You’ll have to forgive me, I read this entire thread from post 1-193 in a single sitting.

#196 2006-02-28 07:31:14

zem
Developer Emeritus

All patches pass through this wall and disappear without feedback. Some survive their journey, but many do not.

We try to give patches the attention they deserve. That means reviewing, testing, making further improvements. Sometimes that needs a lengthy email conversation, other times it doesn’t. Mostly, silence means that we haven’t yet had time to spend on it. Occasionally it means we’ve overlooked something.

We’re looking for a better way to manage patches and related communication. Sofar, Textpattern has burned through 4 different bug tracking systems, and we still don’t have one that can do what we need.

Alex

#197 2006-02-28 13:52:06

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

I think dealing with patches would work better if there was a list of people who indicated they were running clean version of 4.0.3 and could test particular patches out. It’d be easier if you could distribute some of the initial testing load on to other people. Or have people who can comit to code-reviewing and what not.

#198 2006-02-28 21:58:24

zem
Developer Emeritus

I think dealing with patches would work better if there was a list of people who indicated they were running clean version of 4.0.3 and could test particular patches out.

I posted an invitation for testers here.

Would a “Testing” forum help?

Alex

#199 2006-02-28 22:06:57

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Alex,

Can a cron job be setup to create zips of the latest nighlty builds for us to test with. I’ve tried SVN clients for Windows and haven’t had much success with them.

I think by providing zips, it would bring more people into the testing fold.

#200 2006-02-28 22:11:47

zem
Developer Emeritus

I’ve tried SVN clients for Windows and haven’t had much success with them.

Really? I can’t imagine Tortoise SVN being any easier. But I’m used to svn.

I’ll see what I can do about a cron job.

Alex

#201 2006-02-28 22:18:29

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

> zem wrote:

> Really? I can’t imagine Tortoise SVN being any easier. But I’m used to svn.

I tried Tortoise and it would crash every time I right clicked in Explorer. I’m running a pretty clean WinXP install but there must be something interfering with it.

My Debian server is in storage, should have it with me by the end of March and then I can go the command line route.

#202 2006-02-28 22:59:58

hakjoon
Website

You can always do the command line in windows too.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#203 2006-03-01 00:58:51

squaredeye
Website

Zem,
I am looking at SVN for OS X. I have a local install using MAMP, I’ve done a bit of this kind of thing, but I am really amature at the details. I’d like to help with testing Crockery stuff, but I’m wondering if its better suited for folks who know PHP?

Trying to look at how to install SVN is giving me a headache. Opinion? Would the zip that HCGTV recommended be similar to the current install of TXP?

If so, I’m for it.

Thx. Hoping to help out.

Matthew

#204 2006-03-01 03:38:44

zem
Developer Emeritus

100% unofficial: http://thresholdstate.com/txp-nightly/

I’d still recommend svn.

Alex

Board footer