Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

bos_image_display and bos_image_category for simple image gallery

New version of the plugin:

bos_image_display v.0.45

v.0.44

Added 2 attributes to the bos_subcat_image_index tag:

• to_section: use if you want the index to link to another section. For example, in home page you can point the thumbs to a “gallery” section. Default empty.
  • link_to_image. By default, the thumbs in the subcat index point to the category and to the specific image in the category. If you want it to point only to the category, without any image set, then use link_to_image=“0”. Default is 1 (link also to the specific image).

This should allow for better nested albums.

v.0.43

• the txp:bos_subcat_image_index now only display the first level children of cat, as it should be. This change the old behavior. If you want all sub-(sub-sub…)subcat displayed, as before, use the new “allchildren=‘1’” attribute. Default is empty, don’t use it if you want the default. Maybe in the future a better adjustment on the number of subcat level to display will be done…

v.0.42

New version (august 2006):

• added ‘in_article’ attribute to bos_image_index tag to work also inside articles.
  • eliminated a couple of warnings in debug mode.

v.0.41

Added ‘to_section’ attribute to the bos_image_index tag. It allows you to link the thumbs to another section. Useful if you want a preview in home page to point to full-image in a specific section.

v.0.40

Bugfix to the bos_subcat_image_index tag. Update if you’re using that tag.

v.0.39

Minor bugfix in debug mode. No real need to update for live sites, but, anyway, if you want you’re welcome.

v.0.38

Added some attributes and capabilities:

1. to the bos_image_display added link_to and link_title attribute. With link_to you can set a url which your image will be linked to. Suppose you want to have an image in home page linking to the galleries… now it’s possible.
    The link_title attribute sets the content of the title attribute to be nested in the a tag of the link. Optional.
  2. to the bos_image_index tag added the capabilities of textilizing the caption, like in the image_display tag. So you can have a list of your image with caption textilized, not only the fullsize one.

v.0.37

Minor bug fix. It shouldn’t affect the most of the cases, and in the few cases you may not notice it. But you’d better update, you never knows…

v.0.36

Some major improvements:

1. added the possibility to textilize (via the ‘textilize’ attribute) the caption in the bos_image_display. So you can add link and formatting using textile and having it correctly displayed, richer than before.
  2. Added an attribute (‘art_img’) to let you use the bos_image_display as a single tag in article forms to display article image. It is experimental, but this way you can take advantage of the bos_image_display capabilities in displaying title and caption also for article images. Let me know if something goes wrong. See the help for details for attributes.

v.0.35

Added the capability to define the class attribute for title and caption tags for better styling. Default provided. You can also disable the classes if you don’t want the default. See the help for details.

v.0.34

Bugfix version. Corrected ampersand in url to validate xhtml. Set index limit to 9999, tying to avoid some oddities in some version of php/mySql.

v.0.33

• introducing the “url_ext” attribute for the bos_image_index tag. Useful for adding an internal anchor to the url, to point to the div containing the image. Made on demand for Els.
  • Some minor fixing of the help.

v.0.32

• Some correction in the help for the wrap attribute of bos:image_display
  • Now the txp:bos_subcat_image_index is wrapped in the wraptag and break attribute both for the main list and for the inner images. Minor changes, just to allow more styling and more semantic consistance.

v.0.31:

• Added the default=“random” option to the bos_image_display tag, so that you can use it as a standalone tag for displaying images from a category both random or by first in cat, or by id number.
  • By default now the default attribute of bos_image_display tag is set default=“first”. So you have an image displayed when you first arrive on your gallery.

Note: v.3 is not fully backward compatible with 2.0, because the ‘c’ attribute has been renamed in ‘cat’ (there were reasons). Check the template, if you used it.

v. 0.30:
Out of the box you can use it as a way to have image gallery by category, displayed where you want, without to deal with articles and/or article images. Just organize your images in category (even nested, for which you may find useful the bos_if_cat_parent plugin, build together to this one).

Basically this is a replacement of original image_index and image_display couple of tag, or as a single tag to list images from a certain category with some facilities like the capability of having title (name) and caption of images displayed. Some of the features are:

• Title (name) and caption of images can be displayed with the image
  • The index/list of images can be done with thumbnail or title, in custom markup
  • Sort by name or date of image, both asc or desc
  • You can strip a number of characters from title if you use them to sort by name
  • To set an image to be displayed by default, when your first arrive on the gallery
  • To navigate with previous/next link near the image
  • To create a navigation bar with a number for every image (in addition to the normal thumbnail or title index)
  • Automatically create a class=“here” attribute for the link of the photo in the index list you’re actually viewing, so that you can style (border or background) to have a visual clue of the navigation
  • A tag to create introductory pages displaying a 1-photo preview of your subcategory images if you want to use subcategory.

You won’t find any pop-up or javascript, anyway. This is done to be a basic and accessible gallery, yet with a number of useful feature. If you want popup or js, there already are a lot of useful plugins.

Any test would be apreciated. I’m pretty sure that there is some bug here, because I haven’t been able to intensively test it. So please report bugs and suggestions.

Z-

Last edited by Zanza (2009-11-17 21:02:40)

#2 2006-02-14 18:30:36

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

Re: bos_image_display and bos_image_category for simple image gallery

Just a reply to inform that I updated the plugin. See above.

Z-

#3 2006-02-14 19:13:04

els

Just to assure you that at least someone is interested ;) I intend to test this, but I may not have the time before the weekend.

#4 2006-02-14 19:16:49

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

> doggiez wrote:

> Just to assure you that at least someone is interested ;) I intend to test this, but I may not have the time before the weekend.

ditto

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2006-02-14 22:47:31

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

No problem. :) It answers to someone’s problem, but I think that a few people knows the original txp:image_display and txp:image_index tags. They are very useful for creating simple galleries, but lack of features (captions, fullsize listing, link or not, etc.). I’m just trying to expand their possibilities, to have galleries without having to create articles.

It works for me. I may evaluate adding limit and offset attributes, which may be useful. Maybe it will take some days because ‘ll be out of office tomorrow. Anyway, if you have comments, you’re welcome.

Z-

#6 2006-02-14 23:43:51

mrdale
Website

Thanks a mil’

I’ll try it when I’m done with the chicken pox.

#7 2006-02-26 20:05:33

els

This plugin is working fine, thanks. I am going to see if I can replace some plugins I am using now for my simpler galleries with this one.

A sortby attribute would be nice ;)

#8 2006-02-26 23:38:54

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

I’m glad you find it useful.

At the moment I’m working on some improvement of the plugin, according to the requests from a client of mine. I’ve already added some attributes and functionality. The sortby is already in my development version, with two options: name and posted. Do you think some other options may be useful?

I’m adding also a offset and limit options to the bos_image_index tag. More than this I’m adding some options to navigate with prev and next link near the photos, and some conditional tags to better organize the galleries in subcategories.

In the next week I hope to release the new version. If you have some suggestions, you’re welcome.

Bye!

Z-

#9 2006-02-27 00:53:14

nardo

great work zanza… re: sortby – maybe add ‘caption’ as an attribute? if you don’t use caption to display text, you could use it to order your images… ? but not very important really

#10 2006-02-27 10:56:33

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

Uhm… I have to think about it. A way to customize the order may be useful, but I don’t know if to use the caption in that way could be confusing or result in some algorithmic trouble… :) I doubt I can think of it for the next release, anyway, but I will start thinking.

Anyway, you could use the name for this, right now. Maybe it could be useful an option to strip a starting string from the name, if you have a prefix number as an order key, so that the number won’t be displayed?

Thank for your comment! :)

Z-

#11 2006-02-27 12:29:29

nardo

zanza, that is a much better idea – I think takshaka does something similar in one of his plugins, if you like I could find the reference…

and using a caption like “1. The first picture” doesn’t help if you go beyond 9 to 10, for instance… so your suggestion is much more elegant… the question is whether a custom sort order is a feature that users really want

(I know I generally want to control the order images are displayed because it helps to tell a story)

#12 2006-02-27 16:43:19

els

Zanza wrote:

The sortby is already in my development version, with two options: name and posted. Do you think some other options may be useful?

Sorry I didn’t see that in the help text. According to TextBook the <txp:image_index /> tag doesn’t have the attribute either. I was thinking about caption like Nardo said, but your idea is fine as well. Does sortdir also work?

Board footer