Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-09-06 15:31:12

TNT
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] pnh_mf :: microformat tags

Thanks for the reply, although you think it’s far from the thread. I disagree, because it deals with a possible implementation of the plugin.

But let’s say we just have a different opinion on this matter, and let it rest.

Prrrrrrrr

#14 2006-09-16 04:35:38

placenamehere
Archived Plugin Author
Website

merz1 wrote:

Regarding the plug-in I think it’s the wrong approach to work with a fixed total output. It would be much better to have single tags for every value. That way it would be possible to arrange the content as you want it to appear on the page.

This is a really difficult issue and one I struggle with a bit when authoring myself. But while I’d like to add some more functionality to the tag helpers to better show the flexibility of the different values I just don’t see how one can represent anywhere near the flexibility of the various specs (take hcard for example) without just doing a cheat sheet and expecting someone to write HTML. The problem there (and more so with with a single tags approach) is that there is no longer any system in place over what tags someone might use and you may often end up in a case where people who don’t know microformats, but are just trying to post an event or review might not include some of the required data or some other similar error.

In comes down to this in my mind. While something like the following example is perfectly valid and I can easily see it being blogged, it just doesn’t work as either a textpattern style tag or other constrained UI/helpers. You’re only going to hit that level of flexibility by ignoring any helper functions the system provides and marking it up yourself

I’m certainly open to discussion on ways to add more flexibility to the tags and markup provided (either with plugable templates, some JS running the helpers, something else i haven’t thought of), but I think there’s a limit to what can be done.

<div class="bio vcard">
     <h3>About the author</h3>
     <p><span class="fn">Drew McLellan</span> is a web developer, author and 
     no-good swindler from just outside London, England. 
     At the <a class="org" href="http://www.webstandards.org/">Web Standards Project</a> 
     he works on press, strategy and tools. Drew keeps a 
     <a class="url" href="http://www.allinthehead.com/">personal weblog</a> covering web 
     development issues and themes.</p>
</div>

Site: placenamehere.com
Microformat Plugin: pnh_mf

#15 2006-09-17 03:12:50

merz1
Website

Thanks for responding! I can see your points very clear.

a) I will use extra forms with content coming from i.e. custom fields

I.e. every address book entry will be one article.
Advantage: Easy to accomplish
Disadvantage: bulk record maintenance work

b) I will use OpenOffice to create validated output from a database

Advantage: This is great for different database reports and esp. for record maintenance.
Disadvantage: Not integrated in Textpattern

I have no idea right now which of the workarounds to choose. My goal is some kind of Yellow Pages service.

Back to the plug-in discussion …

It would be great if an i.e. hCard plug-in would
a) offer an address book for hCard info in an extra database table
b) get data from that address book database table and fill tags in hCard template forms

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#16 2007-03-12 16:28:58

tglawe
Website

It seems that the Plugin doesn’t work with the actually 4.0.4 Release of Textpattern. Any new Plugin version planed? That would be pretty cool.

#17 2007-03-12 21:52:29

placenamehere
Archived Plugin Author
Website

hmm… i thought I had posted an update to that. Perhaps i got sidetracked.

I’ll have some time in the next day or two to revisit that stuff and I’ll make sure that a 4.0.4 compatible version gets posted.

#18 2007-03-13 01:36:02

tglawe
Website

placenamehere schrieb:

hmm… i thought I had posted an update to that. Perhaps i got sidetracked.

I’ll have some time in the next day or two to revisit that stuff and I’ll make sure that a 4.0.4 compatible version gets posted.

That would be great. Thanks for your amazing work.

#19 2007-03-16 04:15:09

placenamehere
Archived Plugin Author
Website

its late, so I won’t have time to do the testing I want to do before releasing the updated uf plugin to the ‘world’ — probably do that tomorrow.

But since i mentioned I’d get this up sooner so I’m posting the 1.2beta for those who want to grab it. I’ll probably just change the version # and upload tomorrow, but if anyone is itching to give it a go here’s 1.2b.txt

NOTE: This should only work with 4.0.4 or greater, due to a variable name change in the tag builder code in txp core that I had to account for

#20 2007-03-16 10:14:06

tglawe
Website

Hi Chris,

looks great!

#21 2007-03-18 21:42:08

placenamehere
Archived Plugin Author
Website

1.2 is released… i left 1.0 up if anyone is stuck using an older txp version

#22 2008-04-21 09:45:54

Spot
Website

I have adulterated your plugin (sorry!) to add the extra facility to output GeoTags using our GeoTagIcon

There is consequently now geo and geomicro in the Microformats sidebar list – for the moment the geotag is under geo, but I guess I should leave yours as original and make the tag “geo-tag”…

You can see my post here and,
the results here

Note that I am using a “side” class to the page rather than a sidebar, but will paste the code up for inline post use.

iMac 3.06 GHz 2 GB SDRAM
OSX 10.6.2

#23 2009-04-15 15:30:19

decoderltd
Website

I’ve installed the plug-in on a site I’ve producing and marked-up the contact details using the txp:pnh_mf_hcard and txp:pnh_mf_adr tags. However I can’t see how to produce a “Download my vcard” link that would install it in a contacts program.

Could anyone advise? Thanks.

#24 2009-04-16 15:12:32

merz1
Website

how to produce a “Download my vcard” link

Isn’t that a browser issue? AFAIK you have to install a browser plug-in to analyse web pages for microformat content until the new browser versions can do this by themself.

The microformat markup only offers the data structure but no application to use it.

To produce a “Download my vcard” link you need to assemble a vcard file.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

Board footer