You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2006-02-01 05:23:17

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [archived] bab_newsletter: Newsletter Manager for Textpattern

Bonna,

Try this fix:

Go to Presentation > Forms in your Textpattern Admin. Create new form “newsletter_test.” In the form, place the following:

<code>

<txp:bab_subscribe_text label=“name” name=“name” />
<txp:bab_subscribe_email label=“email” name=“email” />
<txp:bab_subscribe_submit />

</code>

Now on your article page, place the <code><txp:bab_subscribe form=“newsletter_test” /></code> tag.

Everyone,

I should have the next version posted within a few days, along with a new plugin, Email-on-Post.

Last edited by benbruce (2006-02-01 18:33:46)

#62 2006-02-01 18:01:42

bonna
Website

Works :)

Although, when i test it on my hotmail adress, it only displays: This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
Also if i only send text mail.

But the important part is that visitors can subscribe.

#63 2006-02-07 00:36:24

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

I’ve posted a new version of the Newsletter Manager. This version supports Textpattern forms — allowing you to set templates for your Text and HTML versions — and a streamlined admin interface with some new functions. Please let me know what bugs you find — I want to finish this major update, including bug fixes, before beginning any other efforts [primarily increased mail capability, scheduling and multiple lists].

Bonna wrote that when he emails Hotmail, all that shows up is the “mime warning.” Researching this I’ve found that Hotmail is notorious for messing with HTML emails, and that the following holds true:

When you send HTML email, you have no guarantee that your message will be readable at all or visually legible to the recipient. With plain text email, you always have that guarantee, no matter what mail client the recipient is using. [Sorry, I can’t remember what page I grabbed this from!]

It is therefore recommended that you stick with Text-only emails, unless there is an overarching reason for using HTML — much better to create an article with the HTML version, and then send a Text email with link to the new article!

However, a work-around may be available with this next release. The sentence that is showing up in Bonna’s Hotmail email is the “mime warning.” So in v.0.3 of NM, you could simply add the text version to that section of your HTML form and it would show up in Hotmail [it would also show up for other subscribers as well]. Read about the “mime warning” in the help section [Creating Forms] for more on this.

An Email-on-Post plugin is ready.

Enjoy!

– Ben

Last edited by benbruce (2006-02-07 00:56:51)

#64 2006-02-07 00:43:01

RussLipton

I’m busy using Expression Engine on a site that requires its features. That said, I have been hoping for something like this for a long time for TxP. I will be using TxP with this plugin very soon for another site. Many, many thanks.

#65 2006-02-08 16:21:17

-jw-

Installed the new plugin version after deleting database tables and older version.

It looks like it stopped working completely.

What I find now is that:
the preferences are not shown in the boxes. When I enter new values it saves them to te db but that’s all.
the public subscriber form is not working (just using the default <txp:bab_subscribe /> on a page)
the email function is not working.

I’m using the plugin on a subdomain. Not sure if that makes a difference

another little thing is that the subscriber form misses a closing div, I changed
<code>
( $label ? (n.’</fieldset>’) : (n.’<div>’) ).
</code>
to
<code>
( $label ? (n.’</fieldset>’) : (n.’</div>’) ).
</code>
which seems to work.

textile deletes my identity

#66 2006-02-09 00:07:00

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

jw:

Sorry about that. I fixed the bab_subscribe issue and made the </div> change you found [nice catch!]. It’s available here if you’d like to test it again:
http://www.benbruce.com/txp/bab_newsletter_v_0.3b.txt

As for your other issues — I’m not sure what the problem is. On my site the preferences show up in the boxes [except for the “Admin Controls” which you need to set manually the first time] immediately upon hitting the “Set Preferences” button at the bottom. Also, testing text-only and text and HTML with the “Test” and “Mail” buttons, I’m receiving emails.

I don’t think the subdomain is the problem. When you have a few minutes can you:

• Install the updated version,
  • Test if the fixes above worked,
  • Let me know if the prefs / email issues have somehow fixed themselves [otherwise, can you give me some more details that might help? Do ALL the values save to the table? etc]

Thanks and sorry for the trouble,

– Ben

#67 2006-02-09 00:11:24

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

On another note, I managed to email myself over 4,000 test emails. So I’d say the bulk email function is coming along nicely …

#68 2006-02-09 08:35:25

-jw-

Ben,

thanks for the quick reply and update. I’ve installed the plugin on two sites.

The site that is stiring up the trouble is, as said, a subdomain. Actualy the tld has two subdomains, so in total there are three txp installs using just one database.

Now, I’m not experiencing any trouble with textpattern or other plugins I’m using on those sites.

When using the plugin on a txp-install on a single tld, everything is OK! and working
showing prefs,
sending email,
subscribing,
etc all OK!

so, I’m thinking it’s a db issue, not sure though, because my knowledge of PHP and/or MySQL is limited, to say the least.

thanks – jw -

=====
Edit:

The txp debug mode is there for a reason…dóh

switching it on gives me this on the nl preferences tab
<code>Fatal error: Table ‘mydb.inf_txp_nlprefs’ doesn’t exist select admin_controls from `inf_txp_nlprefs` where `id` = ‘1’ limit1 in</code>

it seems to have something to do with the table prefix inf_ (in this case) is not set on installing the nl tables.

=========
Edit2

Ok, I changed the table names to reflect the correct prefix and I’m back in the newsletter business ;).
The link, install tables, is back however, off course that’s no big problem now.

thanks again for this great plugin.

jw

Last edited by -jw- (2006-02-09 09:07:14)

#69 2006-02-09 09:23:31

-jw-

….I’m back in the newsletter business ;)

well, not really. Changing table names raises all kinds of other issues. So I’ll wait for a next update.

#70 2006-02-09 18:48:15

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

- jw -

Sorry you’re having so much trouble. That’s definitely the issue — thanks for sorting it out. The prefix needs to be in there — right now the name of the table is hardcoded as “txp_nlprefs” but it’s going to need to be PREFIX + “txp_nlprefs” … and the reason changing the table name is causing you problems is because everywhere in the script it’s referencing the hard-coded table name. I’ll make the fix as quickly as possible …

– Ben

Last edited by benbruce (2006-02-09 18:51:11)

#71 2006-02-10 03:20:47

squaredeye
Website

Is anybody using the html form with this at the moment?

I am a wee bit confused about what that should look like? Am I placing a full html coded page into the “html” field, including < head > and meta data and all? I’ve read the documentation (which is exremely thorough – thanks Ben) and I still missed it. Maybe this is a duh, kind of thing, like forgetting how you spell a word like “the”?

I tried sending an html email using an full html page, and that cancelled out the text version and gave only the “This is a multi-part mime message. The attachments are two different versions of the newsletter you signed up for — a text version and an HTML version. Choose your favorite!” line.

I also tried putting all the html in the form, and then just put the plain text in the “creat” > “html” field. No Go.

I was returned the MIME warning again, and a bit of the end of my html (code, not parsed). My html and css both validate, so I know that’s not it.

I am also seeing this: Unsubscribe: artiswork [at] gmail . com&email=matthew [at] artiswork . org
It appears that some html or some php is unclosed? Could that be effecting any of my issues?

Any help here would be much appreciated.

My mail system is mail (on OSX)

Thanks,

Matthew

Last edited by ma_smith (2006-06-30 13:03:20)

#72 2006-02-10 07:44:30

-jw-

> benbruce wrote:

Sorry you’re having so much trouble.

Ben, no trouble at all. My current setup makes for a good testcase so it seems. Please take your time.

- jw -

Board footer