Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2006-01-19 01:30:05

squaredeye
Website

Re: [archived] bab_newsletter: Newsletter Manager for Textpattern

Ben,
It depends? I don’t know how customized it can be?

1. Something like this would do well:
Notification message ie: “Matthew Smith has posted a new article at artiswork.org/journal
Title
date/time
excerpt / or body (…Read More) permlink to accompany excerpt.
unsubscribe link

2. Perhaps a link to the RSS feed of the site?

3. All of the above could be handled by a form I suppose. Correct me if I am wrong, I don’t believe that the current newsletter email setup uses a form in this way. So, in other words, the admin can style their “new-post-email” to look however they choose – all within the parameters of the html that the plugin provides.

Those would be my main hopes for this kind of plugin.

Yippee@!

Last edited by ma_smith (2006-01-19 01:31:21)

#38 2006-01-19 17:40:07

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

> benbruce wrote:
> About manually subscribing users, and uploading a text file or something for bigger groups — it’s definitely possible. We’ll add it to the “to do” list. With this latest update, there’s “Deletion” so it’ll end up in there somewhere. Maybe a new tab for Management.

Mmm… I think this all should be on subscribers management. A “subscribers” tab should allow to view and edit subscribers list, import file, add and delete specific users manually, i.e. via check boxes in the user lists.

This should be a different tab and a different set of functions, I think.

Don’t you plan to allow for different newsletters in one install? Is it difficult for the db structure?

By the way, thank for considering my suggestions. A little feedback from the 0.2 version: when I have the greeting text empty in my preferences, I get a mail with 3 blank lines on the top. It’s me making mistakes? Is it avoidable?

Thanks, great job!

Z-

#39 2006-01-19 18:10:51

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

ma_smith, I think what you were saying about the forms is a good idea and the way to go. It’ll take a bit of wrangling but that’s certainly the most “customizable” way to do it. I think that should then be ported over to the newsletter, too.

Zanza, I don’t think it would be too difficult to “add newsletters.” It would require installing a new table, but that’s not very difficult. I think getting the whole thing more refined the priority and we can add that ability later on. As to the three blank lines — that’s a bug. I think it’s reading the lines in the code and filling them with an empty variable — so it will have to be adjusted to account for if there is, or isn’t, something entered.

– Ben

#40 2006-01-19 21:37:11

skoggy
Website

This may sound like I´m stupid. But when it comes to databases and deleting wrong tables I rather play it safe and ask:

What tables do I have to drop?

I dropped some …subscribers… -table. Guess its one or more to drop before I´m back on track, right? Get those error lines.

#41 2006-01-19 22:06:48

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

> skoggy wrote:
> This may sound like I´m stupid. But when it comes to databases and deleting wrong tables I rather play it safe and ask:
> What tables do I have to drop?
> I dropped some …subscribers… -table. Guess its one or more to drop before I´m back on track, right? Get those error lines.

I did it few hours ago. I dropped txp_nlprefs and txp_subscribers and everything worked fine. I hope it’s right… :)

Z

#42 2006-01-19 22:10:33

skoggy
Website

Yes, that´s right. Got to admit I solved it myself seconds before you posted the answer. Did a MySQL-backup and figured that nlprefs and subscribers should be it. But thanks anyway… perhaps someone else could use this information(?)

#43 2006-01-20 03:41:37

squaredeye
Website

Ben,
Glad the form idea was helpful. Looking forward to the final revision.

Matthew

#44 2006-01-20 16:38:53

eXOuT

ok i installed it and tested it and everything works fine. BUT i just dont get the unsubscribe tag to work! i put it in an article but nothing appears where the tag is placed..?

try here: http://www.vanwylick.net/zoll/article/68/newsletter-unsubscribe

the tag is placed right before the “boo” ;)

oh and btw i dont see a field with the number of subscribers on the dashboard..?

thx

Last edited by eXOuT (2006-01-20 16:42:38)

#45 2006-01-20 22:36:11

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

eXout, the tag “bab_unsubscribe” won’t actually place anything on the page, except code that runs in the background. If someone clicks the unsubscribe link in their email [assuming you’ve entered an address in the preferences], they will be taken to the article you’ve placed this code in, and their email address will be removed from the database automatically.

You can build the article however you like, though. So that means you can set it up as a proper goodbye page, with offers, etc to try and retain the ex-subscriber [if that makes sense].

As for the subscriber’s list … it’s underneath all your preferences on the Dashboard. Also, if there are no subscribers, you might miss it. Are either of those the case with you?

– Ben

Last edited by benbruce (2006-01-20 22:40:04)

#46 2006-01-20 22:41:13

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Question: Has anyone had any problems with the unsubscribe function, using “pretty” urls? I only ever tested it on “messy” — it should work fine either way but just a thought.

– Ben

#47 2006-01-20 23:17:34

Adam

Yes, I have. I tried doing what you said earlier but it still did not function.

If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life. With confidence, you have won even before you have started. –Marcus Garvey

#48 2006-01-21 18:24:25

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Adam and others, it looks like [testing on my site] if you enter the “real” url for the unsubscribe page — even if you have your site set to “clean” urls — the unsubscribe function will work. So the url should look like:

http://www.example.com/index.php?id=#

– Ben

Board footer